Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2018, 02:12:12 AM *
News: Latest stable version of Bitcoin Core: 0.16.0  [Torrent]. (New!)

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Antminer S9 works subpar and incredibly erratically, hardware or firmware?  (Read 68 times)
Pleasebitmain

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 16, 2018, 09:48:15 PM

One of my Antminer S9s has been working extremely inconsistently for the past months and on average at about 1/3 the rate that it is meant to.

It stops working sporadically and requires several daily reboots and the hashboards work at wildly fluctuating rates.

Sometimes a hashboard will display way too high rates like 5000 GH/S.

Here are some pictures:

https://imgur.com/a/4r8qcTe

(sorry for the pictures taken of the screen, I'm trying to fix this remotely and the people by the miners are not computer savvy,
if anyone has a good idea of how to control the miners without having to buy an absurdly priced router I'm all ears)

The temperatures are also strange, in one of the pictures above one is 17 degrees.

I know this isn't just that the antpool graph is inaccurate as it really has just produced 1/3 of the btc the other miners have.

I'm using Bitmain's PSU.

Is this a firmware or a hardware problem?

How do I copy and include the kernel log in this post in case you need to see it?

Should I send it in for repair?

I am still under warranty.

Also, does the Antminer still use 1300 watts at all times even when it is not working at full capacity?

Thank you.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- gmaxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
fanatic26

Activity: 728
Merit: 558

View Profile
May 16, 2018, 11:23:03 PM

Are you running on 220v power with that PSU or 110v? That kind of inconsistency is usually power related.

Stop buying industrial miners, running them at home, and then complaining about the noise.
OgNasty
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2562
Merit: 1261

Quoth the Raven "Nevermore."

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2018, 12:24:28 AM

The temperature on the middle board would lead me to believe it wasn't operating.  This could be causing the strange readings you're seeing.  The age old question is...  Have you tried restarting it?

▄█████▄
        ▄█████████▄
      ▄████▀   ▀████▄
    ▄████▀   ▄ ▄█▀████▄
  ▄████▀   ▄███▀   ▀████▄
▄████▀   ▄███▀   ▄   ▀████▄
█████   ███▀   ▄███   █████
▀████▄   ▀██▄▄███▀   ▄████▀
  ▀████▄   ▀███▀   ▄████▀
    ▀████▄       ▄████▀
      ▀████▄   ▄████▀
        ▀███  ████▀
          ▀█▄███▀
|
|
          ▄█████▄
        ▄█████████▄
      ▄████▀   ▀████▄
    ▄████▀   ▄ ▄█▀████▄
  ▄████▀   ▄███▀   ▀████▄
  ▀████▄   ▀███▀   ▄████▀
    ▀████▄       ▄████▀
      ▀████▄   ▄████▀
        ▀███  ████▀
          ▀█▄███▀
unthy
Pleasebitmain

View Profile
May 17, 2018, 02:51:12 AM

Yes, I am running on 220 v power.

Yes, I have tried restarting it, both by pulling the plug and by rebooting the operating system.

I don't think there's a specific hashboard that doesn't work. As you can see from the pictures, at times it does indeed
work at 13.5 TH/s or above but at other times it goes to zero or somewhere in the middle, oscillating up and down.

Maybe I'm wrong in my reasoning, I really am not as intimate as I wish I was with how these miners work.
MinerMEDIC

Activity: 98
Merit: 6

EE Technician/NASA intern 2013

View Profile
May 18, 2018, 06:06:37 AM

A quick glance at the log will tell you what the problem is. Be a sport and post it. Don't forget to use "#" above " Kiss ".

---Hi, I'm Jay & I FIX ANTMINER S9 HASH BOARDS---(& pay half of BITMAIN cost) Purdue AS EET Chicago txt(24/7):219.525.7771
Pleasebitmain

View Profile
May 18, 2018, 10:46:31 AM

A quick glance at the log will tell you what the problem is. Be a sport and post it. Don't forget to use "#" above " Kiss ".

That's the thing, how do I post the kernel log in a post in this thread the way I see others do it where you can scroll within the window?

I can't just copy paste the whole thing or?

I would figure out how with trial and error but I'm far away from the actual miner meaning I have to troubleshoot through my 55 year-old
relative who has physical access to the miner.

Also, I have no idea what you mean by "Don't forget to use "#" above " Kiss" "
MinerMEDIC

Activity: 98
Merit: 6

EE Technician/NASA intern 2013

View Profile
May 18, 2018, 01:50:14 PM

In the forum post editor[does the editor look allot different on other OSs, maybe # isn't exactly above that emoji ?] You'll see a button that is a hashtag. Clicking that creates "[c0de][/c0de]". You cut and paste the log text between "[c0de]" AND "[/c0de]". That puts your whole log in a nice little box.

---Hi, I'm Jay & I FIX ANTMINER S9 HASH BOARDS---(& pay half of BITMAIN cost) Purdue AS EET Chicago txt(24/7):219.525.7771
fanatic26

Activity: 728
Merit: 558

View Profile
May 18, 2018, 03:20:21 PM

That's the thing, how do I post the kernel log in a post in this thread the way I see others do it where you can scroll within the window?

I can't just copy paste the whole thing or?

I would figure out how with trial and error but I'm far away from the actual miner meaning I have to troubleshoot through my 55 year-old
relative who has physical access to the miner.

Also, I have no idea what you mean by "Don't forget to use "#" above " Kiss" "

The # icon is how you encapsulate your code into the scrolling windows so you dont spam the forum. When you are replying, look up at the icons for it, just above the emojis on the right side.

Stop buying industrial miners, running them at home, and then complaining about the noise.
OgNasty
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2562
Merit: 1261

Quoth the Raven "Nevermore."

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2018, 05:55:09 PM

I don't think there's a specific hashboard that doesn't work. As you can see from the pictures, at times it does indeed
work at 13.5 TH/s or above but at other times it goes to zero or somewhere in the middle, oscillating up and down.

Look at the pics, it is very clear that one of the hashboards is not working.  The reading it is showing is impossible at that temperature.

▄█████▄
        ▄█████████▄
      ▄████▀   ▀████▄
    ▄████▀   ▄ ▄█▀████▄
  ▄████▀   ▄███▀   ▀████▄
  ▀████▄   ▀███▀   ▄████▀
    ▀████▄       ▄████▀
      ▀████▄   ▄████▀
        ▀███  ████▀