Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 04:58:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can Bitcoin be banned in India - A Detailed study  (Read 1300 times)
Benson Samuel (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1000

Landscaping Bitcoin for India!

View Profile WWW
December 28, 2013, 08:30:21 AM

http://cis-india.org/internet-governance/bitcoin-legal-regulation-india

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
thenoblebot

Activity: 364
Merit: 252

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 10:05:18 AM

Exchange of Bitcoins for Indian Rupees, where the exchange is based outside India
If a person imports a computer programme into India he would have to pay the customs duty at the prevalent rates, however if this import of software is done via the internet and does not involve any physical shipments (e.g. downloading paid software from the internet) then no import duty is levied on the import of computer software in India. This would mean that any person buying a computer programme or software from a vendor abroad would not be liable to pay any customs duty or file any documentation with the customs authorities in India. This situation would also be applicable to any person buying Bitcoins from an online exchange based outside India. The only documentation that would be required for buying Bitcoins from an online exchange abroad would be that which the bank may insist upon for exchanging Indian rupees into a foreign currency and then transferring it to an overseas account. This documentation would involve filing of Form A-1 if the total value of the money being exchanged is greater than USD 5,000 however if the amount of money being exchanged is less than USD 5,000 then the person is only required to give a simple letter containing basic information viz. the name and the address of the applicant, name and address of the beneficiary, amount to be remitted and the purpose of remittance. If the transaction is done using a credit card then in most instances, banks would not be insist upon this letter since these transactions usually go through their automated channels.

Oh boy this guy is so thorough .... just loved his approach ... so does this clear the way for indians to buy btc from exchanges abroad (below $5000 as stipulated by fema ofcourse) without worry about the consequences ? That would get btc to d moooooooooon  Wink
Benson Samuel (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 28, 2013, 10:11:35 AM

Exchange of Bitcoins for Indian Rupees, where the exchange is based outside India
If a person imports a computer programme into India he would have to pay the customs duty at the prevalent rates, however if this import of software is done via the internet and does not involve any physical shipments (e.g. downloading paid software from the internet) then no import duty is levied on the import of computer software in India. This would mean that any person buying a computer programme or software from a vendor abroad would not be liable to pay any customs duty or file any documentation with the customs authorities in India. This situation would also be applicable to any person buying Bitcoins from an online exchange based outside India. The only documentation that would be required for buying Bitcoins from an online exchange abroad would be that which the bank may insist upon for exchanging Indian rupees into a foreign currency and then transferring it to an overseas account. This documentation would involve filing of Form A-1 if the total value of the money being exchanged is greater than USD 5,000 however if the amount of money being exchanged is less than USD 5,000 then the person is only required to give a simple letter containing basic information viz. the name and the address of the applicant, name and address of the beneficiary, amount to be remitted and the purpose of remittance. If the transaction is done using a credit card then in most instances, banks would not be insist upon this letter since these transactions usually go through their automated channels.

Oh boy this guy is so thorough .... just loved his approach ... so does this clear the way for indians to buy btc from exchanges abroad (below $5000 as stipulated by fema ofcourse) without worry about the consequences ? That would get btc to d moooooooooon  Wink

Yep, it is a well thought out study which has been vetted by several people.

thenoblebot

Activity: 364
Merit: 252

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 10:46:01 AM

However however the point of contention is this -
To buy a btc (say on btc-e) you need to "fund" your account with $. Is that in agreement with this article ? I wish it is .. will make life a helluva lot easier for our community.

What's your take on it Benson ? f3ma perhaps ?

Edit : Ah I don't even know if my question is making sense .. since from the beginning it has all been about f3ma and now from this perspective it just looks so good.
Benson Samuel (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 28, 2013, 10:47:36 AM

However however the point of contention is this -
To buy a btc (say on btc-e) you need to "fund" your account with $. Is that in agreement with this article ? I wish it is .. will make life a helluva lot easier for our community.

What's your take on it Benson ? f3ma perhaps ?

FEMA cannot come into place if a traditional banking channel is used. When a banking channel is used, it is the onus of the bank to ensure that the funds reach an acceptable end point.

rohirrim

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 03:44:36 PM

They (RBI) have already associated bitcoins and other cryptocurrencies with money laundering. They have already shutdown one of the leading businesses buying and selling bitcoins in India. They intend to ban bitocoin in India for sure. They will have laws made / specifically crafted for this purpose. That's my opinion. Central banks do not share power. No power to the people and bitcoin seems to me is power to the people at the moment.
Benson Samuel (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 28, 2013, 04:38:03 PM

They (RBI) have already associated bitcoins and other cryptocurrencies with money laundering. They have already shutdown one of the leading businesses buying and selling bitcoins in India. They intend to ban bitocoin in India for sure. They will have laws made / specifically crafted for this purpose. That's my opinion. Central banks do not share power. No power to the people and bitcoin seems to me is power to the people at the moment.

No one external has shut down anyone.
They shut it down themselves.

rohirrim

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 05:36:42 PM

Oh my bad. They have stopped operations as a precautionary measure it seems.

http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/bitcoin-traders-scanner-enforcement-directorate-raid-fema/1/333080.html
Benson Samuel (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2013, 04:02:37 AM

Oh my bad. They have stopped operations as a precautionary measure it seems.

http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/bitcoin-traders-scanner-enforcement-directorate-raid-fema/1/333080.html

This article is wrong. They had shut down before any searches.
Maybe that was the mistake. No one was really doing anything wrong. Maybe the authorities thought that they have vanished.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: