Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 09:13:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: .25 BTC BOUNTY for the best answer  (Read 13507 times)
U1TRA_L0RD

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

CAUTION: Angry Man with Attitude.

View Profile
January 01, 2014, 11:49:15 AM

But OP hasent told us the size of his rig, he doesnt need to spend a alot of money doing this you know?
really?
I am not sure of the BTU rating, but I will need to dissipate upwards of 40,000 watts.

Must of missed that thanks.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
U1TRA_L0RD

View Profile
January 01, 2014, 11:51:23 AM

We have a lot of the "silliest" answers here, from people who have no datacenter or AC experience. You put up a bounty, you get stupid spammers and beggars.

Before qualifying any answer as silly or stupid, I think we need to know some additional considerations such as the amount of money he is willing to spend.

If we take into account the kind of unit he is considering to buy, that sounds more like a kind of garage project, in the line of DIY and low cost solutions.

In the company where I work, we recently did an investment in a cooling solution. The company spent a bit more than 50,000 euros (about 80,000 USD) in a solution based on in-row equipment from APC, like the one linked below. This was a very small datacenter with a power consumption much lower than 40,000 W

http://www.apc.com/products/family/index.cfm?id=379

So, if someone is willing to spend an amount in the range of 3000~4000 USD, maybe the silly solutions are those intended for real datacenters. May be, if he had a budget in the range of 100,000 USD he would be addressing his doubts to a professional cooling consultant. May be he would be ordering and paying a whole study and a project instead of being offering 0.25 BTC (about 180 USD) looking for ideas into a community of unknown people.

This.

I am looking for low cost, DIY solutions.  This will be built out in space not originally intended for Crypto mining.  I want to keep expenses to a minimum.....no need to spend all the profit on cooling the damn things. 

If you want, I suggest using a dehumidifier to keep out moisture and look at this expert on youtube showing his mining rig shelf and how he sets up cooling. http://youtu.be/G5f_e4P6gMA

My video is a good example though, because the duct is sucking out the hot air as the fans cover the front portion of the shelf .
TheWoodser

Activity: 188

View Profile
January 01, 2014, 08:52:50 PM

We have a lot of the "silliest" answers here, from people who have no datacenter or AC experience. You put up a bounty, you get stupid spammers and beggars.

Before qualifying any answer as silly or stupid, I think we need to know some additional considerations such as the amount of money he is willing to spend.

If we take into account the kind of unit he is considering to buy, that sounds more like a kind of garage project, in the line of DIY and low cost solutions.

In the company where I work, we recently did an investment in a cooling solution. The company spent a bit more than 50,000 euros (about 80,000 USD) in a solution based on in-row equipment from APC, like the one linked below. This was a very small datacenter with a power consumption much lower than 40,000 W

So, if someone is willing to spend an amount in the range of 3000~4000 USD, maybe the silly solutions are those intended for real datacenters. May be, if he had a budget in the range of 100,000 USD he would be addressing his doubts to a professional cooling consultant. May be he would be ordering and paying a whole study and a project instead of being offering 0.25 BTC (about 180 USD) looking for ideas into a community of unknown people.

This.

I am looking for low cost, DIY solutions.  This will be built out in space not originally intended for Crypto mining.  I want to keep expenses to a minimum.....no need to spend all the profit on cooling the damn things. 

If you want, I suggest using a dehumidifier to keep out moisture and look at this expert on youtube showing his mining rig shelf and how he sets up cooling. http://youtu.be/G5f_e4P6gMA

My video is a good example though, because the duct is sucking out the hot air as the fans cover the front portion of the shelf .

I watched the video....Is there anything sucking the air into the duct?  To me I only saw the large box fans on the front.  It looks like to me without proper pressurization of that air it would be hard to make it travel through that ducting.

Tip Jars:  BTC: 1J8y3SLzGoY2gLYScsbTZmUH7dW18J1q4S          LTC:  LMkJZ8yuwtVr57GLYZ1JRWstQTc29Cfrtn     Doge: D95sgyBbRz8xhsQMAPmACYfB8vKWUAGuTn 
Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=366385.0
U1TRA_L0RD

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 02:09:45 AM

This.

I watched the video....Is there anything sucking the air into the duct?  To me I only saw the large box fans on the front.  It looks like to me without proper pressurization of that air it would be hard to make it travel through that ducting.

Thats why theres inline duct fans inside the duct.
NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2014, 03:11:51 PM

On a related note:
http://www.gfxtechnology.com/

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
TheWoodser

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 03:34:21 PM

Thats why theres inline duct fans inside the duct.

I guess I missed that during the video....

Tip Jars:  BTC: 1J8y3SLzGoY2gLYScsbTZmUH7dW18J1q4S          LTC:  LMkJZ8yuwtVr57GLYZ1JRWstQTc29Cfrtn     Doge: D95sgyBbRz8xhsQMAPmACYfB8vKWUAGuTn 
Sheldor333

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 01:34:46 AM

Also build a datacenter in a cold country like north of Canada, Iceland, Norway...and you won't have to cool it, just use the cold air from around you. Can save a lot, if you have that option.

TheWoodser

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 03:21:38 PM

Lets hop back on topic.....

OP, Can you tell us what the square footage of this datacenter is planned to be and also let us know what kind of budget you are looking to work with....

Woodser

yochdog (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 05:12:27 PM

OP, Can you tell us what the square footage of this datacenter is planned to be and also let us know what kind of budget you are looking to work with....

Woodser

1500 SF.......I would like to keep cooling to $5,000 or less.  I am looking for out of the box ideas here.  This will not be your typical data center!

I am a trusted trader!  Ask Inaba, Luo Demin, Vanderbleek, Sannyasi, Episking, Miner99er, Isepick, Amazingrando, Cablez, ColdHardMetal, Dextryn, MB300sd, Robocoder, gnar1ta$ and many others!
Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 11:12:43 PM

You got a nearby underground cave Huh  Cheesy

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
YipYip

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 04:00:35 AM

But OP hasent told us the size of his rig, he doesnt need to spend a alot of money doing this you know?
really?
I am not sure of the BTU rating, but I will need to dissipate upwards of 40,000 watts.

youchdog has been around for a while ...lolz

He is running ~ 120m of scrypt or ~ 200+ GPU's of various descriptions

Real farms are starting to get out of control and in regards to heat ...fucking HEAT !!!!

I run 70m and have 6 x 3000L second fans on both intake and exhaust

AC is toooo expensive ... Just go with lots of air directed onto the GPU's and an fan connected to an extract fan mounted into the rig chasis that then pumpts the air out to a chimmney stack that then exhausts out with a 3000l fan suckikng at the other end

go for a largeish 600-800m outside exhaust fan stack (its like the ones u see on mcdonadls)
http://www.fantech.com.au/FanRange.aspx?MountingID=RVE&RangeID=32

The key being control the air in and then GET RIG of the HEAT !!

I live in australia that is currently 100+ at the moment ... the cards are running stable ~ 80c (its not great but oh well warranty)

Anyway youchdog thanks for added to diff :S

I could go further but this is what u get for free lolz  Cool

OBJECT NOT FOUND
Millicent

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 05:39:01 AM

I hadn't seen this post, but it's along the lines of what I'm thinking. 

Your location put's you at a disadvantage right off the bat.  

What's the infrastructure like where you plan on locating this?  Lots of older buildings?, silos?  If it were me and I was trying to be budget minded I would find an existing underground facility or basement.  This will dramatically cut your ambient temps and provide a more stable environment.  Is anything like this available or is your facility already selected?

BTC ~ 1CX9TMGCv73XLcvckz5RsnHgsHA5fJrL2q
U1TRA_L0RD

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 04:46:31 PM

What's the infrastructure like where you plan on locating this?  Lots of older buildings?, silos?  If it were me and I was trying to be budget minded I would find an existing underground facility or basement.  This will dramatically cut your ambient temps and provide a more stable environment.  Is anything like this available or is your facility already selected?

Warehouse rentals aren't cheap, even spaces, OP will have to add the cost of electricity, equipment for cooling,hardware, and cost of space.

If you ask me, I don't think its worth it,you'll be lending more out of your pocket than making money.
Millicent

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 12:34:43 AM

Warehouse rentals aren't cheap, even spaces, OP will have to add the cost of electricity, equipment for cooling,hardware, and cost of space.

If you ask me, I don't think its worth it,you'll be lending more out of your pocket than making money.
There not cheap where I am, but I'm in the Bay Area.  That doesn't mean that in the middle of Missouri they're not.  Location is everything and finding something that's cool naturally is going to make a BIG difference in cost

boniggy

Activity: 132

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 10:41:28 PM

The summer here are brutally hot....can get up to 110 F.

Arizona? Phoenix maybe? If so, im here too. let me know if you need help or another hand in setting something like this up.. id love to be a part of something like that Smiley... and yes i do have technical experience.

For security, your account has been locked. Email acctcomp15@theymos.e4ward.com
U1TRA_L0RD

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 10:56:04 PM

The summer here are brutally hot....can get up to 110 F.

Arizona? Phoenix maybe? If so, im here too. let me know if you need help or another hand in setting something like this up.. id love to be a part of something like that Smiley... and yes i do have technical experience.

Lol, me too, mesa. Cheesy
NewLiberty
Legendary

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2014, 04:09:07 PM
Last edit: January 09, 2014, 04:49:41 PM by NewLiberty

Woodser

1500 SF.......I would like to keep cooling to $5,000 or less.  I am looking for out of the box ideas here.  This will not be your typical data center!

For out of the box + not typical...Sell the heat. Have your cooling system pay you instead of paying for it.

Run a jacuzzi / steam room / sauna business next to your data center
Heat a pool
Run a laundramat
Distillery, brewery, bakery
Lots of uses for extra heat if you can control it.

The cost of moving the air where it is more valuable from where it is not wanted on your chips is paid by the receiver rather than the sender.
This is also a marketing press opportunity.  

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
EvilPanda

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

Small Red and Bad

View Profile
January 09, 2014, 05:27:09 PM

Woodser

1500 SF.......I would like to keep cooling to $5,000 or less.  I am looking for out of the box ideas here.  This will not be your typical data center!

For out of the box + not typical...Sell the heat. Have your cooling system pay you instead of paying for it.

Heat a pool
Run a laundramat

The cost of moving the air where it is more valuable from where it is not wanted on your chips is paid by the receiver rather than the sender.
Or as I said earlier try geothermal cooling. Pros: runs almost by itself, won't affect electricity bill, causes no moisture problems and doesn't require maintenance. Cons: you need to dig a hole in the ground (bad idea if you're just renting the place).

NewLiberty
Legendary

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2014, 06:35:08 PM

Woodser

Heat a pool
Run a laundramat

Or as I said earlier try geothermal cooling. Pros: runs almost by itself, won't affect electricity bill, causes no moisture problems and doesn't require maintenance. Cons: you need to dig a hole in the ground (bad idea if you're just renting the place).

This is also location dependent. Some places it is much warmer in the ground than above it. 
In Malibu, the well water is warmer than the air. 

Millicent

View Profile
January 11, 2014, 05:48:11 PM

This is also location dependent. Some places it is much warmer in the ground than above it. 
In Malibu, the well water is warmer than the air. 
Where did you come up with that?  In Malibu? surely you jest. 

The earths temp is pretty consistent once you get below a certain level.  I don't think it's that deep either, but I don't remember the exact depth.  It's a constant somewhere around 50 degrees Fahrenheit.   A quick search on "underground temperature constant" will give you plenty of good reliable info on this subject.

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: