Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 10:29:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How much in % of your savings are in BTC?  (Read 6004 times)
Icon

Activity: 821
Merit: 503

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 02:14:29 AM

Got a alt question to this topic but nearly the same, what about MINED btc, save all or spend 1/2? Ideas?

Icon

empoweoqwj

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 02:19:40 AM

110% - I opened up a LOC and bought more during this crash - yowza

What's a "LOC"?
Dafar
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

dafar consulting

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 02:56:41 AM

I've invested all of my liquid savings into BTC, and I buy more with each pay check to accumulate as much as I can, because my man fiddy cent once said - "get rich or die tryin" ....and this quote applies perfectly with BTC. If you invest enough and if bitcoin follows the same trend you can get rich, or you can lose everything. But the latter is less likely. Bitcoin has had attacks, blockades and problems with its protocol... but it has upgraded, adapted and survived so far. With the increase of awareness, number of users, adoption rate and expanding network it is becoming more and more unstoppable.

Like the other dude said though, % of investment can be relative. I'm 25, single and don't have any significant debts so if i lose all my savings I'm not going to die. But the fact that bitcoin is deflationary in nature and is supposed to increase in value it makes it an attractive investment or a store of my savings.

I refuse to invest in the stock market and won't even bother "diversifying" into something where a 10% return would be considered lucky... would rather take a risk at something with the potential of 1000%+ returns.

Maybe someone more sane than me can tell me I'm making a huge mistake?

███████████
███████████████
█████████████████████
█████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████
███████████████░████░░███████████████████
██████████████░░█░░█░█░░█░░██████████████
██████████████░░█░░█░█░░█░███████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████
███████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████
██████████
|
|
|
nodroids

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 03:24:26 AM

I can't tell if you are serious nodroids. All I will say is how would you feel if someone read your post, put more than 50% of savings in Bitcoins because of it, then lost almost all of it. Bitcoin is young so growth is easy, we cant really say that the farther we get into it.

OK. I Was reading all kinds of %10 and %25 too. So I got a little over board. %50 would be a lot for some people. Also if you're mostly all in I'd agree that hedging with a little liecoin makes sense ;P
empoweoqwj

Activity: 518

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 03:25:38 AM

I've invested all of my liquid savings into BTC, and I buy more with each pay check to accumulate as much as I can, because my man fiddy cent once said - "get rich or die tryin" ....and this quote applies perfectly with BTC. If you invest enough and if bitcoin follows the same trend you can get rich, or you can lose everything. But the latter is less likely. Bitcoin has had attacks, blockades and problems with its protocol... but it has upgraded, adapted and survived so far. With the increase of awareness, number of users, adoption rate and expanding network it is becoming more and more unstoppable.

Like the other dude said though, % of investment can be relative. I'm 25, single and don't have any significant debts so if i lose all my savings I'm not going to die. But the fact that bitcoin is deflationary in nature and is supposed to increase in value it makes it an attractive investment or a store of my savings.

I refuse to invest in the stock market and won't even bother "diversifying" into something where a 10% return would be considered lucky... would rather take a risk at something with the potential of 1000%+ returns.

Considering you are young and single and the potential upside is clear, I think you are sane.
MrPalmer

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 05:48:40 AM

Doesn't sound like a mistake at all!  Run with it.  As long as you're prepared for rock bottom, then you can chalk it up to a healthy risk with huge potential! 

Trance

Activity: 551

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 06:39:55 AM

My target is to have 50% of my savings in BTC, so what do you think, is this a good strategy?

Add a poll for this !

Increments of perhaps 5> 10%, 25% and over 50%

Some people are so poor ALL they have is money
dhankitsu

Activity: 91

http://www.jexpotz.com bitcoin faucet

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2013, 11:03:10 AM

i will saving 45% into BTC

IrokeZ

Activity: 2

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 01:20:27 PM

Currently about 10%, but considering to rise it to 25%. Watching my money on a bank account and knowing it is used by some other guys to earn sweet money is just disturbing  Wink
augustocroppo
VIP

Activity: 756
Merit: 503

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 04:38:51 PM

My target is to have 50% of my savings in BTC, so what do you think, is this a good strategy?

No, it is a terrible strategy.

If you are able to save money and want to receive interest over the amount for a certain period of time, you should use a saving account at your local bank. It is the most safe and better way to secure your savings for the unforeseen future.

The best strategy to secure your savings against inflation is invest 0% in BTC.

Do not fall for the trick that speculators want you to believe. Everyone which suggests you should buy any quantity of BTC to hold as investment is only doing a favour for the speculators, whose are ready to sell for the next fool the idea the world have an infinite supply of people willing to pay more and more for BTC.
kellrobinson

Activity: 304
Merit: 380

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 05:48:05 PM

My btc holdings, at the current price, exceed by a substantial multiple the rest of my assets including fiat.  That pretty much answers the question in the title of this thread, but it doesn't go very far in helping a reader make a decision on his own.  Everybody's financial and life situation is different.
I will tell you why it made sense for me to go all in.  I am approaching retirement age.  Before I started buying btc, I had only about thirty thousand in liquid assets, and twenty thousand of debt.  So my net assets, in terms of what's necessary for retirement, were negligible.  I would use up ten thousand (net) savings pretty quick, and I would have to live the rest on my life on social security.
It made sense to me to go all in.  This is based on my sense that bitcoin will not fail... you may have a different opinion.  But bitcoin has gained by an order of magnitude every year.  If I am right:  if bitcoin does not fail, and if its growth continues at anything like what it has historically, then I will be able to retire comfortably.  If I am wrong, I lose my savings, but they were totally inadequate in the first place.  In that case I will simply have to live on social security, which is no different from what would happen if I stayed out of btc.
greyman

Activity: 40

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2013, 05:53:00 PM

60% BTC, 5% LTC, 5% DOGE, 30% fiat. But I don't have that much savings, anyway.
igorr

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 06:27:13 PM

Bitcoin is a fog, you give real money for fog, I can not believe LOL.

Cлaвьcя, Oтeчecтвo нaшe cвoбoднoe,
Бpaтcкиx нapoдoв coюз вeкoвoй,
Пpeдкaми дaннaя мyдpocть нapoднaя!
Cлaвьcя, cтpaнa! Mы гopдимcя тoбoй!
MrPalmer

Activity: 98

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 06:59:38 PM

In the existential sense - "real money" is also a fog.  We don't take any of this with us when we go.   Tongue

igorr

Activity: 406

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 07:33:12 PM

check this, why LTC not have the price 820 usd? why DGC not have the price 1 milon USD, why BTC not have the price 1 usd.
The answer is simple,
Mining company need a lot money, mining SHA-256 is so easy, and after mart 2014 game is over,
mining will not be cost-effective
each company will leave mining and BTC and all other crypto coin go to zero.

http://www.businessinsider.com/why-bitcoin-has-value-2013-12

Cлaвьcя, Oтeчecтвo нaшe cвoбoднoe,
Бpaтcкиx нapoдoв coюз вeкoвoй,
Пpeдкaми дaннaя мyдpocть нapoднaя!
Cлaвьcя, cтpaнa! Mы гopдимcя тoбoй!
Dafar
Legendary

Activity: 1330

dafar consulting

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 07:51:11 PM

Wat is real money? You are fog, LOL.

I hate reading articles from Business Insider, Forbes, etc about bitcoins. They are always bipolar and show they have little understanding of it. They started off being negative towards bitcoin and now that it's gaining popularity they are switching sides. I like how they picked Dogecoin as a serious example for discussing alt coins. And this quote:

"The question then becomes: Can the social network last? If it can, then the value can be maintained, or might grow by even a lot. But history is not on Bitcoin's side on this question. For one thing, no social network seems to have much lasting power... especially not the first in a given category (Napster, MySpace, ICQ, etc)."

1. I don't think there's a middle ground where the "value can be maintained"... it will either be worth nothing or it'll become huge (5-6 figures)
2. Bitcoin coming in ahead and having the largest network, infrastructure and support is a good thing for bitcoin. I don't think the Napster analogy applies to everything. People barely know about bitcoin as it is... alt coins are another level of confusion. There will probably be several big alt coins along with bitcoin but at this stage all cryptos need bitcoin to succeed and have mass adoption

edit-- i didn't realize the link was form the same user as above, what a waste of my time

███████████
███████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████
███████████████░████░░███████████████████
██████████████░░█░░█░█░░█░░██████████████
██████████████░░█░░█░█░░█░███████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████
███████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████
██████████
|
|
|
greyman

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2013, 08:41:26 PM

each company will leave mining and BTC and all other crypto coin go to zero.

igorr, that can't happen, because if certain percentage of companies will leave mining, it will again become profitable for the rest of them who stayed in the game. Over time, those companies with lowest operational costs will stay, and also those people who doesn't mine for profit (you would be surprised, but there are really people who mine just to support the network and doesn't care about profit).
greyman

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2013, 08:48:29 PM

No, it is a terrible strategy.

If you are able to save money and want to receive interest over the amount for a certain period of time, you should use a saving account at your local bank. It is the most safe and better way to secure your savings for the unforeseen future.

The best strategy to secure your savings against inflation is invest 0% in BTC.

This is the best strategy if you absolutely don't want to take a slightest risk, and do not care that you can have much more when the price of bitcoin will rise in 2014.
vpitcher07

Activity: 342

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 08:59:20 PM

Why not put 100% in it? It all depends what you feel and think about the value and if you trust BTC in general...

Rule number 1. NEVER put all your eggs in one basket. That's a really bad idea no matter how bullish you are on btc

Bitcoin: The currency of liberty
1HBJSf3Lm9i8KxjZ7fuoN9FJ8hniniFbv4
mb300sd
Legendary

Activity: 1260

Drunk Posts

View Profile WWW
December 31, 2013, 02:28:16 AM

99%, but 100% came from bitcoin in the first place.

Are you saying that initially you didn't had any assets to start with? That will be unbelievable, as you need at least some to purchase your initial coins.  Grin

I mined most of them with a laptop CPU. Actually completely forgot about bitcoin and came back about a year later and found them about another year later.

1D7FJWRzeKa4SLmTznd3JpeNU13L1ErEco
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: