Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 10:54:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [2018-05-16] Japan’s GMO Gets Ready to Start Selling 7nm Bitcoin Mining Chips  (Read 126 times)
BitcoinArsenal (OP)

Activity: 924
Merit: 556

View Profile
May 16, 2018, 08:56:13 AM

Japanese internet giant GMO has updated its plans to manufacture and sell its 7nm bitcoin mining chips as well as for its own mining operations. Interested customers will soon be able to reserve some of these chips.
Full article on Bitcoin.com
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
FrueGreads
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1059

View Profile
May 16, 2018, 01:50:46 PM

I keep hearing about GMO mining chips, and how they will disrupt the mining market since they are aiming for "house adoption" and not for the normal mining farms with ASICs. I heard a lot of comments saying that it would be hard for them to keep up with what they were promising, but I doubt that a big company like them would fail here, since it would probably be a big blow on their reputation.
I wonder if with companies entering the mining industry, like GMO and Samsung, mining will have a chance to actually become decentralized, as it should be.

░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄
░░░░▄██████████▄
░░░██████████████
░░██████▐▌██████
█████░░░░░░░▀█████
██████▄▄░░▄▄░░██████
████████░░▀▀▄██████
████████░░▄▄▄░░█████
██████▀▀░░▀▀▀░░█████
█████░░░░░░░░█████
░░██████▐▌██████
░░░██████████████
░░░░▀██████████▀
░░░░░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀
░░░

BitCloak Bitcoin Mixer  
  BTC & BCH | API| MULTIADDRESS| PGP PROOF|  FAST MIX |  ESCROW|  MORE ! 

░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄
░░░░▄██████████▄
░░░██████████████
░░██████▐▌██████
█████░░░░░░░▀█████
██████▄▄░░▄▄░░██████
████████░░▀▀▄██████
████████░░▄▄▄░░█████
██████▀▀░░▀▀▀░░█████
█████░░░░░░░░█████
░░██████▐▌██████
░░░██████████████
░░░░▀██████████▀
░░░░░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀
░░░

1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
May 16, 2018, 02:06:24 PM

I wonder if with companies entering the mining industry, like GMO and Samsung, mining will have a chance to actually become decentralized, as it should be.

It depends on how you look at that decentralization aspect.

In all cases all these miners will be pointing towards one of the existing pools accounting for a major share already. Purely based on that there basically isn't something as decentralized mining. The only thing that might be somewhat decentralized with people running these miners from homes and garages, is that the network itself will no longer mainly consist of large mining operations located in data centers being an easy target for governments and whatnot.

The thing is that no one prevents large farms from accumulating all these newer forms of hardware, and thus the cycle will repeat itself in the end.

I am happy already if we manage to see Antpool's share in this mining industry decrease further.
FrueGreads
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1059

View Profile
May 17, 2018, 05:43:35 PM

The only thing that might be somewhat decentralized with people running these miners from homes and garages, is that the network itself will no longer mainly consist of large mining operations located in data centers being an easy target for governments and whatnot.

This is exactly what I meant. And of course that it's probably impossible for big mining pools to ever lose their share in the industry, as they can probably keep increasing their farms since they generate millions of profit every year, but if "home options" get good enough for people to actually try them without just ending up losing money in electricity, then the mining industry could get a little more dispersed, resulting in some of the advantages you've mentioned (data centers not being an easy target for governments, etc).

░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄
░░░░▄██████████▄
░░░██████████████
░░██████▐▌██████
█████░░░░░░░▀█████
██████▄▄░░▄▄░░██████
████████░░▀▀▄██████
████████░░▄▄▄░░█████
██████▀▀░░▀▀▀░░█████
█████░░░░░░░░█████
░░██████▐▌██████
░░░██████████████
░░░░▀██████████▀
░░░░░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀
░░░

BitCloak Bitcoin Mixer  
  BTC & BCH | API| MULTIADDRESS| PGP PROOF|  FAST MIX |  ESCROW|  MORE ! 

░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄
░░░░▄██████████▄
░░░██████████████
░░██████▐▌██████
█████░░░░░░░▀█████
██████▄▄░░▄▄░░██████
████████░░▀▀▄██████
████████░░▄▄▄░░█████
██████▀▀░░▀▀▀░░█████
█████░░░░░░░░█████
░░██████▐▌██████
░░░██████████████