Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 08:52:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: FinCEN Rules In Favour of Bitcoin Miners  (Read 1144 times)
LostDutchman (OP)

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2013, 04:17:37 PM

http://www.techienews.co.uk/974132/fincen-rules-favour-bitcoin-miners/

"Financial Crimes Enforcement Network (FinCEN), US has cleared up one issue that pertains to Bitcoin mining by siding Bitcoin miners ruling that those who mine it for their own purpose and not for the benefit of another are not an MSB (Money Services Business) under FinCEN’s regulations.

The issue came up after miners raised concerns if they can mine Bitcoin for themselves and then trade them for cash at an exchange or spend them directly without being classified as an MSB. Miners were concerned that they may be, under FinCEN’s regulations, required to register as MSB and comply with all applicable laws. The concerns were further aggravated after Jerry Brito, FinCEN stated in a personal letter that Bitcoin miners will be required to register with FinCEN.

The issue was taken up on a larger scale by Atlantic City Bitcoin, which operates multiple ASIC miners at its facility in New Jersey. Atlantic City asked FinCEN to clarify the rules and whether miners will be required to register as MSB.

Excerpt of FinCEN’s ruling have been reproduced below:

“To the extent that a user mines Bitcoin and uses the Bitcoin solely for the user’s own purposes and not for the benefit of another, the user is not an MSB under FinCEN’s regulations, because these activities involve neither “acceptance” nor “transmission” of the convertible virtual currency and are not the transmission of funds within the meaning of the Rule. This is the case whether the user mining and using the Bitcoin is an individual or a corporation, and whether the user is purchasing goods or services for the user’s own use, paying debts previously incurred in the ordinary course of business, or (in the case of a corporate user) making distributions to shareholders. Activities that, in and of themselves, do not constitute accepting and transmitting currency, funds or the value of funds, are activities that do not fit within the definition of “money transmission services” and therefore are not subject to FinCEN’s registration, reporting, and recordkeeping regulations for MSBs…”

The ruling is yet to be published on FinCEN’s website, but you can find the text of the entire ruling here:

http://cointext.com/fincen-issues-bitcoin-friendly-ruling-for-miners/

Smiley

Smiley

Smiley

Corporations For Crypto
Protect Your Assets and Reduce Your Tax Liability With A Kansas Corporation!
We Demand Justice From BFL

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 04:52:50 PM

yes, yes, YES.
Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3612
Merit: 1564

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 06:28:40 PM

Wow common sense prevails! Some country you have there where government agencies have to clarify common sense.
undeadbitcoiner

Activity: 896
Merit: 272

Undeadbitcoiner Will not DIE until 1BTC=50K

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2013, 07:26:10 PM

Thats good news for Miners and even for traders. FINCEN is also concern only in ML and criminal acts so hopefully every business related to Bitcoin will be recognised by all the authorities.

LostDutchman (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2013, 07:34:34 PM

Thats good news for Miners and even for traders. FINCEN is also concern only in ML and criminal acts so hopefully every business related to Bitcoin will be recognised by all the authorities.

Agreed that this does not affect sole traders but would not include those doing trading for others.

My $.02.

Wink

Corporations For Crypto
bluemeanie1

Activity: 280
Merit: 257

bluemeanie

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2013, 07:42:44 PM

Agreed that this does not affect sole traders but would not include those doing trading for others.

My $.02.

Wink

interesting post, but I'd say this is more or less in line with the precedent they've already set.  Generally you're only dealing with the law if you exchange Virtual Currency for some Sovereign Currency.

Just who IS bluemeanie?    On NXTautoDAC and a Million Stolen NXT

feel like your voice isn't being heard? PM me.   |   stole 1M NXT?
LostDutchman (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2013, 07:44:42 PM

My $.02.

Wink

interesting post, but I'd say this is more or less in line with the precedent they've already set.  Generally you're only dealing with the law if you exchange Virtual Currency for some Sovereign Currency.

The point of the ruling is that miners will be free from Money Service Business and Fin-CEN registration as long as they only mine and exchange to real-world currency for themselves.

Smiley

Corporations For Crypto
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: