Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 07:44:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ASIC noob, where do I start?  (Read 657 times)
jam3zs (OP)

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 06:42:04 PM

I've had a look around the forum and I can't find the answers I'm looking for.

Say hypothetically I have some asic chips:

1. what do i mount them to? do you buy pcb's from somewhere? or what?

2. then what? does it then mount into a pc or does it become a pc of its own, how do you connect to it?

thanks in advance.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cp1

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 06:43:16 PM

Which chips do you have?

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
Kenshin

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 06:44:16 PM

Why don't you just buy already made ASIC mining equipments, since you don't seem to know much about electronic.
Colin Miner

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2014, 06:48:58 PM

. what do i mount them to? do you buy pcb's from somewhere? or what?
If you are stuck at this point, you have a very long way to go if you just buy chips. Difficulty will be sky high and your chips would be useless.

A much quicker way to hash is buy a pre-assembled box/board (as 99.999% of miners do).

Why don't you just buy already made ASIC mining equipments, since you don't seem to know much about electronic.

Well said

FREE Namecoins (NMC), Devcoins (DVC) and IxCoins (iXC) while you mine Bitcoins (BTC) on the pool, in the cloud or both. Free to join, click here to Sign Up and mine your free coins.
Cheap VPS Hosting here or budget conscious Free cPanel hosting here. Buy BTC the safe and easy way at Localbitcoins.com (US and UK).
 "I'm no longer as confident as I was this morning." - xkeyscore89.  My Addie.cc.
more Free: BTC, LTC, FTC, TIPS, WDC, EAC & IFC
CanaryInTheMine
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1060

between a rock and a block!

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 06:50:15 PM

I've had a look around the forum and I can't find the answers I'm looking for.

Say hypothetically I have some asic chips:

1. what do i mount them to? do you buy pcb's from somewhere? or what?

2. then what? does it then mount into a pc or does it become a pc of its own, how do you connect to it?

thanks in advance.

as a self identified noob, I doubt that you have ASIC chips.  you woudn't be noob if you did.

look into turn key products instead that are ASIC based.
jam3zs (OP)

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 07:00:42 PM

lol yes you are correct, I don't have any chips, hence why I said "hypothetically".
I was literally just curious as I know nothing about it.

Thanks for the replies though Smiley

cp1

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 07:09:04 PM

lol yes you are correct, I don't have any chips, hence why I said "hypothetically".

Ok in that case -- if you had chips you'd have to design a PCB and mount them.  There are some open source designs for specific chips so you might start with that.  But, you'll spend much more to get the PCB made and populated than if you were to just buy a miner.  Miners either plug into the USB port of your computer or are standalone and have an ethernet connection to your router.

If you want a miner buy one of the little USB stick miners.  You're going to lose money no matter what you buy, so you might as well lose the least.

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
Bicknellski

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 11, 2014, 05:38:58 PM

Wasp Hive Designs for A1, Bitmain and BitFury will be open source hardware so you could hypothetically build your own. There are also a few other ASIC miner open source designs out in the public already, typically though they are single chip specific, so if you had the chips that match the design you could be building in as little as a week or two if you had a good fabricator and parts were readily available.

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: