Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 07:48:31 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Proof-of-Approval: Version 2.0  (Read 1853 times)
Ix

Activity: 218
Merit: 128

View Profile
June 07, 2018, 09:44:16 AM
Last edit: June 07, 2018, 12:38:46 PM by Ix

Again I reiterate that if the attacker knows he can increase the transaction fees to any level he wants to by eliminating the competition over blocks by attaining 50+% of the stake, then the attacker can afford to buy the stake. Are you claiming that 50+% of the stake will not sell at any price?

The issue here is economics. If there’s a huge profit incentive to 50+% attack and there’s no cost to perform an ongoing attack indefinitely into the future. Thus, the NPV is extremely high for purchasing the stake (or forming an oligarchy of stakeholders who cooperate to attack).

I've been considering a couple of ideas based on stuff I've mostly found through your links. This is all regarding an opt-in stake. 1) is a very fresh idea for me that might have interesting implications.

1) Set a maximum number of opt-in stakes (probably based on total currency supply which would monotonically increase under my system). If stakes are full and there is still demand to stake, put the stakes in a queue that freezes the money (no idea for how long yet). When new stakes open up (currency supply increase, stakers leave, or stakers may be randomly booted after serving some amount of time or are unresponsive), use a VRF to select new stakes from the queue. All other queued stakes are booted from the queue but the money won't be available until their unfreezing time (presumably at least after the next queue).
edit: To avoid discouraging people from queuing by spamming right away and making the queue huge, the queue should start with an open queue that doesn't automatically freeze, then only some of those are chosen to be frozen - probably a fixed number based on the max stake, not a % of the total queued
(this, I believe, would also solve the "everything comes down to PoW" MC=MR problem)

2) Stake PK changes would be very limited or not possible, making transfer of stakes an incredibly risky proposition for the buyer. Even with PK changes, it's still a hugely risky proposition because you would have to wait until the new pk is accepted by the network with a long delay, in the meantime the previous owner can get the stake destroyed. - You might be able to get around this with a contract, so perhaps no PK changes allowed.

3) Tx fees are fixed or only changeable with a hard fork or significant vote. This works better under a system that aims for some kind of price stability, but you'd have to imagine some kind of market competition as well that could keep fees reasonable. If tx fees are too low, stake participation simply drops until it is acceptable. If they are too high, people switch to other networks or use off-chain transactions.

1 & 2 both help against but do not prevent an oligarchy, malicious or cartel-based. But it adds quite a lot of randomness, and a decent amount of punishment for trying to spam the opt-in stake. The cartel takeover attempt would have to out-queue the honest users 2 to 1, consistently across time. Depending on how long the queue freeze penalty is, this could result in the cartel needing significantly more money frozen than it would take to take over the network.

Since there is also a maximum stake, the cartel can't push everyone else into unprofitability by simply overwhelming the stake. If the cartel starts gaining a significant portion of the stake, if stakers are randomly booted, they would still need to keep overwhelming the queue or risk losing their foothold.

Just some thoughts.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
monsterer2

Activity: 351
Merit: 134

View Profile
June 07, 2018, 09:59:47 AM
Merited by shunsaitakahashi (1)

@shunsaitakahashi,

Since you expect 50+% of the stake to be stable running on the cloud, my idea for entirely eliminating short-range double spends is to slash not only conflicting approvals but also slash (make ineligible) the stake public key from future slots for an extended remediation period. Also require stake public keys to be stable for extended period before they’re eligible to vote approvals.

Ineligible stake is not counted towards total stake when computing the 50+% quorum threshold. Thus I think you can remove the slow changing stake requirement from your whitepaper and set the threshold to exactly 50+%.

There are a couple of problems with that idea:

1) Bonded stake systems are subject to the 0% attack in which you bribe all the bonded stake in the system to simultaneously send a transaction to themselves (an action with seemingly no consequences). With zero bonded stake remaining in the system, the chain freezes forever.

2) If you remove the stake transfer limit, the above becomes possible and not only that but you also weaken the history attack strength, which was near 99% attack proof due to the slow stake transfer combined with the epocs signatures.
Ix

Activity: 218
Merit: 128

View Profile
June 07, 2018, 10:13:02 AM

1) Bonded stake systems are subject to the 0% attack in which you bribe all the bonded stake in the system to simultaneously send a transaction to themselves (an action with seemingly no consequences). With zero bonded stake remaining in the system, the chain freezes forever.

A bond implies the money is not transferable, so I'm not sure how this attack could work.
monsterer2

View Profile
June 07, 2018, 10:28:18 AM

A bond implies the money is not transferable, so I'm not sure how this attack could work.

That would have to be a necessary condition. You might assume that bonded stake just has to mature for some period before it can start voting, but this is not enough as you say it must also not be transferable.

I think there is still an open question about objectively identifying double signing, though - why can't an attacker just use two different stake public keys to double sign?
monsterer2

View Profile
June 08, 2018, 07:43:47 AM

I look forward to what you guys can come up with. Although, I have to say I'm extremely sceptical of any trustless design claiming to have no incentive system.

IMO, the 0% attack is more dangerous than just the not responding attack, because at first glance there should be no reason to expect that sending yourself a transaction could have consequences, so why would someone refuse being paid for doing so?
d5000
Legendary

Activity: 3892
Merit: 6080

Decentralization Maximalist

View Profile
June 08, 2018, 10:32:27 AM
Last edit: June 08, 2018, 11:40:05 AM by d5000

Specifically every slot of PoA relies on the prior approved block being 100% final and the only choice from the nearest prior slot that had an approved block.
Thanks anunymint, the explanation was good, and that was also what I understood approximately.

A way to collect PoB approvals (and reward them for better liveness) without having to include entire PoB blocks that break the PoA model could be to include the approvals into a PoA block, in a similar way that TaPoS "collects" "stake approvals" in transactions (or maybe as an alternative way for epoch approvals), but before I seriously begin to think about that and if this even makes sense, I'll re-read the rest of your discussion this weekend (yesterday I had only time for participation in the "lighter" sections of this forum). It's possible that it's better to base the reward system only on "live stake".

Regarding the probability of a 50% attack on a mature currency because of the expectation of rewards/fees, I am not entirely convinced of your pessimistic view on it (my first thought being: why would the users of the chain accept extremely high fees and not change to a competing chain - or in an extreme case, hard fork the attacker away? wouldn't that break the goal of the attack?). But you are totally right that if there is a solution that avoids that "game" that forms a rent-maximizing oligarchy or 50% attacker it should be at least tried - I am eager to know more about your solution (Cred). About ...

That is why I am proposing changes to the design that entirely eliminate the possibility of attacking. Have you seen my suggestions on that?
... I'm not aware of it at this moment as I didn't re-read the discussion, so if you want (and have time) you can show me a direct link to it.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
monsterer2

View Profile
June 09, 2018, 03:13:18 PM

I presume you are referring to the current PoA design and not my proposal because it does not seem to apply anymore in my proposed change.

I was referring to your proposal with the staking keys.... I'm going to stop clogging up this thread with conjecture and wait for Shunsai to add some more details.
shunsaitakahashi (OP)

Activity: 94
Merit: 16

Research, Analyze and Invent Crypto Systems

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2018, 08:50:39 PM
Merited by vapourminer (1)

Hello All,

Sorry for being out for a couple of days. I attempted to write a better summary of the protocol (below). I will rewrite protocol description shortly as well. I haven't yet caught up with the discussion, will reply to them separately.

Regards,
Shunsai

Proof-of-Approval Overview:

Proof-of-Approval protocol uses stakes of the parties for consensus and defense against the attacks. Since the parties' stakes are recorded on the chain itself, such systems are inherently different from Proof-of-Work (PoW) like systems where the defense is provided by some external resource requirement. Proof-of-Approval, like other stake based protocols, may also seem overly complex riddled with seemingly unnecessary rules. These rules are required to defend against conditions that cannot occur in a PoW system.

Trade-offs for the protocol participants also differ dramatically compared to those in PoW. While PoW participants benefit from large computational power, additional computational power (beyond a minimum) offers no advantage to participants of most stake based protocols. In Proof-of-Approval, participants benefit not from computational power but from the high performance network connectivity--low latency and high transmission speeds.

Participants of the PoW systems may benefit from specialized computer systems typically housed at their own premises. In Proof-of-Approval, on the other hand, participants benefit from locating their nodes closest to the Internet backbone. Proof-of-Approval nodes, especially for larger stakeholders, are more likely to reside in cloud than on their own premises.

In a typical operation of a blockchain, participants agree on the honest chain up to some blocks below the top. While this concurrence is present implicitly, it is typically not recorded on the chain. As a result, an attacker using History or Costless Simulation attack, may be able to offer an attack chain that can beat the protocol's rules and win. Proof-of-Approval records this concurrence in "epoch approvals." An attacker's attack chain, in addition to beating the protocol rules, must present a higher amount of concurrence in order to win.

Nodes, housed at owners' premises, may face power or network outages or slow connections resulting in fewer stakeholders being live at any time. On the other hand, nodes hosted on cloud, are mostly free of power or network outages and are more likely to be live at any time. Cost of hosting a node on the cloud, although greater than zero, is very small--as low as $5-10/month. Proof-of-Approval benefits from more stakeholders being live at any time. To incentivize nodes to move to cloud, Proof-of-Approval offers block approval award. To win block approval award, a node must be able to quickly send its approvals to the block producers. Block approval award more than offsets cloud hosting cost and is difficult to win without cloud hosting. As a result, Proof-of-Approval expects more than a quorum stake be hosted on cloud and be live for block approvals.

Participants of Proof-of-Approval are expected to have stake distribution like that of other public blockchains. Such distribution is typically modeled by Pareto distribution where a large portion of wealth is held by a small fraction of the population. Proof-of-Approval's incentive system works best for such real world stake distributions and may not work well for a hypothetical near-equal stake distributed over a large population.

The goal of the protocol is to choose a single block in each slot to be placed in the chain. There are many ways of accomplishing this goal, the simplest one being selecting a single party to produce a block. Unfortunately this method results in low liveness of the chain. This protocol chooses multiple parties to produce candidate blocks. The consensus must pick one out of these candidates to be placed in the chain. For security, the protocol also requires that a quorum of stakeholders approve a block. While it is possible to converge a quorum stake to a single block through multiple rounds of voting in one slot, the protocol uses an alternate system--multivoting. This multivoting system requires only one round of voting per slot but it delays its decision by one block. In other words, the stakeholders choose multiple acceptable blocks belonging to the same parent, effectively voting for a single parent. The parent block is a Focal Point or Schelling Point where the stakeholders are expected to converge to thus avoiding splitting of the honest stake among multiple blocks. These approvals are stored on the chain inside the successor block.

The protocol offers block creation award to the winning block in addition to the transaction fees stored in the block. The protocol also offers two additional awards, block approval and epoch approval, to anyone who participates in them in proportion to their stake.

The protocol makes the following assumptions:

1. Stake distribution among parties is like that of other public blockchains (Pareto like).
2. Epoch approval award is large enough to motivate even the smallest stakeholders to participate and requires little computation or network performance.
3. Block approval award is not likely won by nodes not hosted in cloud.
4. Block approval award for some minimum stake, same as the stake needed for block creation, is more than sufficient to cover cloud hosting cost.
5. The combined stake of parties holding that minimum stake is significantly larger than a quorum.
6. All stake hosted in cloud is live all the time.
7. A slot period is sufficiently large for parties to validate candidate blocks and communicate approvals.
8. Adversarial stake is slightly below quorum and the honest stake is larger than quorum.

And the protocol expects the following behavior from its participants:
1. Almost all nodes try winning epoch approval award.
2. Most parties holding some minimum stake are hosted in cloud.
3. At least a quorum stake is live at all times.

Under these conditions, the protocol achieves high liveness and finality after one block. In addition, History or Costless Simulation attack requires nearly all stake at some time in past to win.

Twitter @shunsatakahashi
shunsaitakahashi (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2018, 09:27:46 PM

Hello Traxo and Shelby,

So thinking it through now, the 50+% (aka 50%+1) threshold has to be attained for a block to be approved and proposed to be final which is what dictates the liveness issue as well, but that doesn’t guarantee all the stake is available live.
The assumption of sufficient stake being live comes from block rewards incentivizing parties holding larger stake to move to cloud. There is also assumption that they constitute >50% stake. This would hold for pareto like distribution but not for some odd looking ones.

However, in the end-game proof-of-work must be run by an oligarchy also. Proof-of-work is a transition scheme to centralized global order, not a permanent decentralization.
Have you considered allowing stakeholders to delegate their approval voting powers to other stakeholders, so they can rent it out? I think that would help you achieve near 100% liveness, especially if you could make it the default and automate it somehow.
Here are my concerns regarding delegation.
1. It's further centralization
2. How does an honest party really know that the other party (it is delegating to) is really honest? Adversarial colluders know each other and delegation may make their job even easier.
But in the end, delegation may be the only way.

Long rage history attack defense uses more than just TaPoS, it uses epoch and block approvals. It can be argued that TaPoS is not even needed for PoA since epoch approvals are likely to cover a large percentage of stake in the transactions.

Correction. The TaPoS is necessary so that the long-range attacker can’t rewrite the chain keeping most of the transactions but double-spending a minority of them. This prevents the divide-and-conquer strategy. With TaPoS, the attacker must take all of the history and can’t chop it up. @anonymint recently wrote a reply to Vitalik about this point.

PoA expect near all stake participation in epoch approvals but not in block approvals. Epoch are expected to be 3+ order of magnitude larger than slots to achieve such a high participation.

I still can’t grok that section of the whitepaper. What do you think is different about epochs that would increase participation? Anyway, maybe my idea above is better?
Epochs are very long, perhaps 1 hour or more. Any party can get a message through in that long a period. To give the full overview of how TaPoS and epoch approval work together, I am going to repeat the example I had given you earlier. See if it makes sense.
Code:
A B C D E F G H I J K L
        P Q R S T U V W
Let's try with an example. The attacker has 51% stake (at block D) that he sells off in the honest chain (starting from block E) and then creates an attack fork from block D. Transferring attacker's stake takes more than one epoch due to epoch stake transfer limit. In this scenario, the attack fork wins only if the first block of the attack fork (block P) has more signatory stake than the first block of honest fork (E).

Let's count signatory stake at block E.
1. The attacker made a transfer in the honest chain. His 51% is signatory in honest chain.
2. The honest chain got some block approvals from some stakeholders in addition to the attacker. Let's assume additional stakeholders constitute 10+% stake.
3. The honest chain got epoch approvals. Let's assume those are additional stakeholders representing additional 35+% stake.
Total signatory stake at block E = 96+%

Let's count signatory stake at block P.
1. Attacker's own keys - 51%
2. Other block approvals? Not without bribing other stakeholders.
3. Other epoch approvals? Not without bribing other stakeholders.
4. Copying transactions from honest chain? Not possible since they have a recent block signature. (Only transactions that have hashes of unshared blocks are counted as signatory stake).
Therefore, the signatory stake at block P is just 51%.

The honest chain wins.

Regards,
Shunsai

Twitter @shunsatakahashi
shunsaitakahashi (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2018, 10:26:05 PM

Hello D5000,

Thus if the above is correct, then we can only claim PoA is less permissioned in the sense that all of the static stake can participate. But it’s not permissionless like proof-of-work where new external resources can participate without any permission.[...]My definition of permissionless in this context is that the existing stakeholders can’t stop new outside resources from coming onboard to unstuck the chain. In that case, I think PoA is not permissionless.
Yes, there is some ambiguity about what "permissionless" means, and in general terms I support your definition. But working Proof-of-stake currencies always offer a market (otherwise they weren't currencies) where units can be traded to goods or other currencies or tokens, so in practical terms it cannot be avoided by the stakeholders that other people enter the system and become part of the validator (in this case, of the approvers) set. You are correctly pointing out that the requirement to move stake slowly means that the process is restricted. This would, however, only affect whales wanting to become part of the validator set fastly, the average user (and the average stakeholder) shouldn't be affected as the market will continue to move.
I consider permissioned vs permissionless more in terms of PBFT vs Bitcoin. In PBFT, some kind of authority (single point of entry) needs to let you in while in bitcoin, even though you have to buy expensive equipment, there are multiple sources and one isn't dependent on a single source to let them through.

The PoA transfer limits are not unlike bank's daily transfer limits etc, they should have no impact in a typical operation, only under attack scenarios. Delaying stake participation has a slightly different effect. Transfer limits don't affect smaller stakeholders while the delayed participation affects all.

So PoA doesn’t have these undesireable delegation elections, but instead has virtually implausible liveness unless a vested oligarghy is involved to always be online and prevent the chain from becoming stuck.
That's why I wrote "not fully permissioned" - in DPoS, depending on the amount of validators, a group of whales can easily obtain total control of the validator elections, while in PoA this kind of control seems theoretically possible, but very impractical - if the liveness problem can be solved. It would need a very big group (supermajority) of colluding whales to seriously restrict newcomers being part of it.
PoA essentially needs to pay-up some stakeholders (typically larger ones) to operate on cloud. If the stake distribution is too "uniform" among the parties, the award needs to be increased resulting in increased inflation.

I think the burning needs to be lossy so that an attacker can’t get back all he burns (to mitigate the issue I discuss below).
I don't understand fully - if burning is only a complement of an otherwise PoS-based algorithm which has the main goal to improve liveness then I see no problem here. The necessary rule for that is that never two PoB blocks are allowed in a row, so a "PoB-only" attacker could only trick users into a double spend that wait for one single confirmation, otherwise he must obtain a majority of the stake. In this case, in PoA, the "one-block-finality" rule would have to be modified to "one-PoA-block-finality" as PoB, as you correctly write, cannot achieve 100% finality.
I don't fully understand this one - thinking more on it.

Regards,
Shunsai

Twitter @shunsatakahashi
shunsaitakahashi (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2018, 03:41:34 PM

Hello All,

Just updated the paper to include (hopefully) better description and increased penalty for nothing-at-stake (N@S) attack. Description is sections 2.1 and 2.2, conflicting approval penalties section 2.3.19.

https://github.com/Takanium/doc/blob/master/research/proof-of-approval.pdf

Will continue catching up with the thread Smiley.

Regards,
Shunsai

Twitter @shunsatakahashi
shunsaitakahashi (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2018, 04:40:41 PM

Hello Shelby,

Since you expect 50+% of the stake to be stable running on the cloud, my idea for entirely eliminating short-range double spends is to slash not only conflicting approvals but also slash (make ineligible) the stake public key from future slots for an extended remediation period. Also require stake public keys to be stable for extended period before they’re eligible to vote approvals.
Actually I think that's the most feasible slashing idea I have ever seen (and believe it or not) I put something similar in the paper even before reading this post (Section 2.3.19 https://github.com/Takanium/doc/blob/master/research/proof-of-approval.pdf).

Ineligible stake is not counted towards total stake when computing the 50+% quorum threshold. Thus I think you can remove the slow changing stake requirement from your whitepaper and set the threshold to exactly 50+%.

AFAICT, this should entirely eliminate any short-range double-spending. Because proof-of-conflicting approvals are entirely objective without any consensus, because they requires the offender(s) to double-sign. And there’s never any valid reason to vote for more than one block in any slot number.
I don't feel that the slow changing stake is a big problem since the stake is large enough to affect only oligarchs and not most participants. But I will continue thinking about it.

So then the only vulnerabilities that remain are the long-range attack and the oligarchy incentive to maximize transaction fees and capture all the block rewards.
I don't believe oligarchy incentive can be avoided. Every scenario I can think of requires "linear" incentive system, i.e., incentives are proportional to stake. Only a PoW can avoid that which causes other problems that we are trying to solve.

So then the only vulnerabilities that remain are the long-range attack ...
The maximum defense against any attack in a stake based system can only be 100% stake (unless the system is a hybrid system). For a typical long range attack scenario which is likely to go back several months to fork off, the honest chain will be able to accumulated near 100% signatory stake. Why? (Section 2.3.26)

1. Transacting parties become signatories because of TaPoS. I did argue earlier that it may not be needed but, the more I think about it, the more I get convinced that it is needed. If a party was trying to avoid becoming a signatory by not signing blocks or epochs, this is the trap they fall into. Even if the party transacts even a tiny stake from their holdings, their entire stake holding at the time of fork off is the signatory stake.

2. Block approvals make signatories in each block >50%. There would be some different block approvers over the period of the long range attack. Therefore, the union of all block approver stake is likely to be larger than >50%.

3. Epoch approvals are for parties with smaller stakes. There is a minimum stake threshold where the block approval incentive will the cover cloud hosting costs. Below that threshold, block approval incentive will be too small to cover the cost. The only thing the protocol wants from these parties is to periodically attest the honest chain. The incentive is expected to be large enough to motivate even a single coin holder to periodically attest the chain. Not all stakeholders need to approve every epoch - but the union of the stakeholders attesting honest chain is likely to be near 100% over a period of a few months.

Adversary's attack chain need to show a higher signatory stake (not sure what should happen if the signatory stake were equal down to the smallest fraction). Adversary may be able to collect private keys that held different stake at different points in time. But in order to succeed, the adversary needs to find a point in time from where they can build an attack chain containing a higher signatory stake. I believe it is a very large hurdle for the adversary.

Regards,
Shunsai

Twitter @shunsatakahashi
shunsaitakahashi (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2018, 07:56:08 PM

Hello D5000,

If 50% of the state becomes non-responding, then the chain can be stuck forever. No transactions will be confirmed. And thus no stake can change, not even slowly.
[...]
The accumulated lost keys over time is serious problem that needs some solution.
OK, I overlooked that problem. You're totally right that this makes the liveness problem more severe, and I agree that in this case we would very likely need a distinction between the validator set and the total "currency-holder" set.
Agree this is a problem that needs a solution.

I seem to strongly disagree with your characterization of reality. Why do you think it is impractical for an attacker to obtain 50+% of the stake?
My argumentation in this case is based on the assumption of a mature and relatively well-distributed currency with some actual real usage, at least as much as our current Bitcoin, not like an "average altcoin". You're totally right that in most current altcoins, and more so in new ones, it's relatively easy to get a high stake participation. (That's also why I'm becoming increasingly critical to ICO-distributed cryptocurrencies, and why I started this thread for example [which got buried instantly by spam, obviously].) But in a mature currency it should be very hard to get even 25%.

All cryptocurrencies have to begin at some point and so in its early phase they will be weak to attacks if using pure PoS. In my opinion, a prolonged proof-of-work phase is the way to go for current altcoins if they want to achieve some resistance to 50+1% stake attacks, if no new ideas are found for this problem. It has to be noted that a PoW phase doesn't solve everything because mining could also be centralized (e.g. like in Steem's PoW phase) and PoW 51% attacks are also not totally uncommon as we saw recently. But for now we have nothing better, afaik.

So in general terms I think we're not so much in disagreement in this point.
I agree that an initial PoW phase would provide some relief from attacks in the early period. How does the PoW phase exist criteria work? Are those exit criteria algorithmic or is it some kind of a soft fork?

Regards,
Shunsai

Twitter @shunsatakahashi
monsterer2

View Profile
June 12, 2018, 08:05:10 AM
Merited by achow101 (1)

Hi Shunsai,

I'm sure you are aware of this, but I just wanted to point out that the punishment incurred by abusers of the signing processes is still only opportunity cost. Really, to be at parity with PoW and to be fully rid of NaS this has to be converted into realised cost somehow.

The trouble is, it is very hard to see all the attack angles when you have NaS looming in the background, so, although you've gone to great lengths to narrow them all down and implement counter measures you can never really be sure the gremlin of NaS has truly been banished.

Cheers, Paul.
d5000
Legendary

View Profile
June 13, 2018, 05:41:00 AM
Last edit: June 13, 2018, 05:55:09 AM by d5000
Merited by shunsaitakahashi (1)

Hi Shunsai,

I agree that an initial PoW phase would provide some relief from attacks in the early period. How does the PoW phase exist criteria work? Are those exit criteria algorithmic or is it some kind of a soft fork?
I haven't thought extensively about that. I know protocols like Peercoin where there is less incentive to produce PoW blocks once the value/difficulty of the coin goes up because the block reward decreases with difficulty, but these mechanisms probably can't be easily applied to PoA because they rely on the "probabilistic finality" Bitcoin blockchain model. In PoA, instead, we would need to define a block height for the change (or use a soft fork - Edit: although a soft fork has the disadvantage that it can be blocked by miners like we saw with Segwit.).

A possible model (quick thought, so may be flawed):
- set a minimum and a maximum block height for the transition from PoW to PoA
- and set a "desired difficulty", corresponding to a desired level of PoW security (simulation).
- Change from PoW to PoA once the minimum block height and the desired difficulty is reached;
- in case the desired difficulty is not reached, change at the maximum block

I think the minimum block height for the transition is necessary to ensure a minimally desirable distribution of the coin units, because otherwise a large miner/miner cartel could instantly change to PoA at the first block - or after they have ensured they have mined a large majority of the coins, so they could instantly 50%+1 attack it. Obviously that doesn't solve the problem that the cartel can 50%+ attack in the whole phase to get most of the rewards, but solving that is impossible.

Regarding the proposal including Proof of Burn: I'm currently re-reading the thread (currently on page 5) and slowly understanding the protocol better (and also understood my misunderstanding of Traxo/Anonymint's post about "permissionlessness"). As such a proposal would be related to the problems regarding liveness and voting, I would like to read the remaining posts and your new version of the paper to see if there is a way Proof of Burn can help with the liveness issue/participation rate. Need to think a bit more about it ...

@anonymint: Read your proposal, looks good on a first glance - after I read the rest of the posts I may comment it.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
d5000
Legendary

View Profile
June 13, 2018, 10:02:39 PM

Hello Shunsai,

I got now a little bit of time to read the rest of the thread and so I want to explain the Proof of burn idea. (I don't know if you know the Proof of Burn concept so I elaborate a bit on it, if you already know, no problem Smiley )

Proof of burn works approximately this way: participants can destroy coins and these are transformed into a "score" which determines the probability to validate a block. There are some variants of the concept, in some the "score" lasts only for a block, in others for various blocks or like in Slimcoin (the only implementation so far) for more than a year although the score in this variant "decays" continuously.

PoB has a nice property: it forces "burners" to participate in validation almost 24/7 to get enough block rewards to compensate for the coins that they destroyed - otherwise they would work at a loss. It's not only opportunity cost that they lose (like in PoS or PoA) but real money they burnt, so I believe the incentive being stronger. That was the initial reason why I proposed to add proof of burn validators - to improve participation in the PoA process. "Burners"  would almost always be also "stakeholders", and so they could be crucial in reaching the 50% threshold.

Now as @anonymint correctly writes, there is no threshold for burners which would guarantee to achieve finality, because everybody can burn as many coins as he wants and so the number of "burnt coins" would be varying greatly, so we cannot say "50%+1 of burnt coins must approve a block".

I thought a bit about it and there may be a possible solution: PoA approvers could select a set of "burners" at a fixed point in time and include their addresses in one of the approval blocks every X slots, for example, the first of every epoch. Then, a random function (e.g. including transaction data, addresses of PoA validators in previous blocks etc.) selects a slot for a PoB block. Almost all PoB participants will be eager to be online at this block to get the reward.

So we could have two advantages: 1) higher PoA participation and 2) more objectivity, as there are two distinct validator sets (which overlap of course, but not 100%). The "PoB slot" may be even an opportunity to create at least one block in the case the chain becomes stuck because of low participation (however, this could add new attack risks, I haven't thought thoroughly about that).

But I'm a bit in doubt if that would not decrease the security of PoA, because just before the "burner selection" by PoA approvers an attacker could burn 50%+1 of the coins burnt before. That would be expensive, but less expensive as a PoS/PoA 50%+ attack. As there is only one PoB block per X slots allowed, an attacker would not be able to create a "PoB attack chain", but he could get a block more for a low cost when burning participation is low.

As anonymint wrote, there may be also a conflict with TaPoS - I believe he means that this could be the case if "burners" approve another fork than the majority of TaPoS signatories are on ...

So at the end, I don't know if this proposal is of any value for the PoA concept, maybe it is not. Maybe PoA block approver rewards are enough for the incentive to participate.

By the way, I have a question about one point in your summary which may be a (minor) flaw:
In Proof-of-Approval, on the other hand, participants benefit from locating their nodes closest to the Internet backbone.
That may have undesired consequences: Wouldn't that mean that the optimal network layout for the "oligarchy" (=whales with 50%+ stake) would be that all are located on a single datacenter? Wouldn't that create a centralization problem and a possible single point of failure? That incentive would be strong, above all, for stakers trying to get block creator rewards as these benefit most from an excellent connection (similar to fintechs which are eager to locate their machines next to those of stock exchanges ...).

I have noted, for example, that many altcoin projects recommend to host a node at one of the biggest providers (Digital Ocean, Amazon). For a good decentralization, this is not desirable, and the block approver selection would most likely incentive that (all whales using the same cloud service).

Could there be a solution for that? For example, is there a way to ensure that a "good" connection is advantageous, but an "excellent" connection is not better than a "good" one, e.g. introducing some kind of delay for block producers?

Regards, d5000

I’m not participating in this thread anymore.

I expect this account to be banned very soon.
That would be a pity. Your writing style may be a bit harsh sometimes (but you are by far not the only forum participant with that "problem"), but your contributions are among the most interesting and insightful in the whole forum, not only the altcoin area. I hope at least Traxo stays here Wink

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
shunsaitakahashi (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2018, 08:48:40 PM

Hello Shelby,

So then the only vulnerabilities that remain are the long-range attack and the oligarchy incentive to maximize transaction fees and capture all the block rewards.

I don't believe oligarchy incentive can be avoided. Every scenario I can think of requires "linear" incentive system, i.e., incentives are proportional to stake. Only a PoW can avoid that which causes other problems that we are trying to solve.
I am missing something regarding how the rewards are non-linear with the increasing stake. (If they were to be non-linear, the parties may benefit by splitting or joining as the case may be for non-linearity.

The maximum defense against any attack in a stake based system can only be 100% stake (unless the system is a hybrid system). For a typical long range attack scenario which is likely to go back several months to fork off, the honest chain will be able to accumulated near 100% signatory stake. Why? (Section 2.3.26)

It’s arduous to read that section of your whitepaper because you jump directly into detailed specification without providing an explanation of the essence of what you’re accomplishing with the details. Also I find your explanation of that section to be lacking clarity (same as my complaint earlier when I via @Traxo re-summarized the Schelling point essence of your system in one paragraph). The part of about unshared and shared and which blocks or epochs get counted and what is the point of 1(a)(b)(c)(d). Seems incomplete or incoherent to me. Maybe it is just me having difficulty grokking that.
I am going to take another attempt at rewriting this section.

Regards,
Shunsai

Twitter @shunsatakahashi
shunsaitakahashi (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2018, 08:52:07 PM

Hello Paul,

... the punishment incurred by abusers of the signing processes is still only opportunity cost. Really, to be at parity with PoW and to be fully rid of NaS this has to be converted into realised cost somehow.
Isn't it also just an opportunity cost in PoW as well? If a miner devotes half of his equipment to an alternate fork, he may lose additional earnings but his mining equipment remains intact.

The trouble is, it is very hard to see all the attack angles when you have NaS looming in the background, so, although you've gone to great lengths to narrow them all down and implement counter measures you can never really be sure the gremlin of NaS has truly been banished.
Agree. That's just like bugs in software - gotta keep catching them and squashing them!

Regards,
Shunsai

Twitter @shunsatakahashi
shunsaitakahashi (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2018, 09:48:40 PM

Hello Shelby,

I found a flaw in your design of the slots which enables the 50+% to recover the nothing-at-stake attack and make as many long-range (aka history attack) forks as he wants of which offline users can’t objectively distinguish between them. Specifically if the attacker wants 3 forks (with 2 of them hidden until he’s ready to orphan the honest fork) then he will only approve a block in every 3rd slot of each fork, where each fork is staggered so attacker does not have to sign duplicate approvals for the same slot. Slashing by duplicate approvals for the same slot number will not objectively slash the attacker’s approvals and detect the honest fork. It’s not possible to trace stake back through all spends, because this would slash the stake of those who obtained from an attacker. Thus PoA retains the nothing-at-stake problem which plagues all proof-of-stake systems.
Sorry I didn't completely understand. Does the adversary have 50+% stake ownership at the present time? If that is the case, since it is beyond the protocol's capability, he can double-spend at will - he/she wouldn't even need to mount a N@S attack.

Also I realized the original flaw I had mentioned about the propagation race condition at the boundary time of a slot can cause finality to be delayed by an extra slot but not an extra approved block. The block creator can sign and broadcast an approved block at the instant of the slot expiration time which has more approval, and thus cause the Schelling point for choosing the parent of the next slot to be split. But the Schelling point for the next slot will not be split, unless a block creator for the expired slot can pretend there was network delay and another block with higher approval is broadcast at that instant. But even so, if the number of block creators per slot is finite, the this delaying tactic can prevent 100% finality from being attained after several slots.
Your description does sound plausible - I need to think a bit more on it.

Regards,
Shunsai

Twitter @shunsatakahashi
monsterer2

View Profile
June 15, 2018, 06:27:24 PM

Isn't it also just an opportunity cost in PoW as well? If a miner devotes half of his equipment to an alternate fork, he may lose additional earnings but his mining equipment remains intact.

This is a common misconception. Although the miners equipment stays intact, they always lose cost of mining to electricity, and, on average this loss is equal to the block reward.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: