Bitcoin Forum
April 30, 2024, 01:06:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Reevaluating my choice of pool  (Read 1272 times)
WuLabsWuTecH (OP)

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 09:30:08 PM

So I currently mine with BTCGuild.  After getting some ASIC's online, I'm wondering if I should change pools or not.

BTCGuild has PPLNS at 3% fee, and I saw that bitminter has 1% also PPLNS.  Everything else seems to be the same.  And both communities are generally very warm and helpful.  Obviously BTCGuild is going to be finding blocks a lot faster but someone mentioned to me that now I have a higher hash rate, I should look at pools with lower fees.  I don't know if this is the right logic or not since BTCGuild will find more blocks which means less payout variations, but also wouldn't they payout slightly higher?  And does this offset the fee difference?

Any advice on what to consider when looking for a new pool would be welcome!

Thanks!
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
miner_btc

Activity: 60
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 09:40:27 PM

With such hashing power in their group, BTCGuild will find blocks sooner but even with a smaller pool with lower fees your income level should be the same. You may be paid out less frequently but the lower fee should allow you to make more BTC overall. Bitminter also has merged mining with namecoin so you wouldn't lose out on much by switching but you would pay less in fees. You might even consider bitparking as they merged mine namecoin, ixcoin and devcoin in addition to bitcoin. Their fee is only 1.5% but would pay out less often since there are fewer people mining there. In any case, GL with your asics. Wish mine were here already.  Cry
not.you
Legendary

Activity: 1726
Merit: 1018

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 09:41:24 PM

I have mined on Slush, BTCGuild, 50BTC, BitParking, and BitMinter.  I have settled with half of my hashrate on BitParking and half on BitMinter.  BTCGuild and 50BTC are steady payouts and you know more or less what you are going to get (BTCGuild gets steady blocks because of it's size so it doesn't feel like there is a lot of variance), but I have no doubt that you get less in the long run than you do on any of the other "high variance" pools I mentioned above.  The variance can suck on any of those pools when luck is bad, but in the long run the payout for me has always been more on any of those pools.  The reason I don't mine on Slush now is because I just don't like his payout scheme but as I say, still a more profitable pool than BTCGuild or 50BTC.  

BitMinter is having some DDOS issues right at the moment though which is a bummer  Sad
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 09:45:47 PM

I think everyone should be constantly reevaluating their choice of pools on a month-by-month basis. Look at what there is, and choose what's best for you.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
spooderman
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1022

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2013, 09:46:53 PM

I'm a fan of eligius myself. I believe it to be more inkeeping with the ethos of bitcoin. Centralised pools seem to contradict the spirit of this currency.

It's also more fun when a small pool finds a block and you get a large payout. The small but steady amounts 50btc gives out are a little dull.

Society doesn't scale.
spiccioli
Legendary

Activity: 1378
Merit: 1003

nec sine labore

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 04:32:40 PM

So I currently mine with BTCGuild.  After getting some ASIC's online, I'm wondering if I should change pools or not.

WuLabs,

you should try HHTT

An Avalon mines without problems with difficulty 512 for a fee of 0.36% and pool pays half of block fees to the miner who finds it.

It is a PPLNS pool, so it takes a while, two days more or less, before you earn your fair share of each block found.

spiccioli
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4480
Merit: 1800

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 12:48:36 AM

I'm a fan of eligius myself. I believe it to be more inkeeping with the ethos of bitcoin. Centralised pools seem to contradict the spirit of this currency.

It's also more fun when a small pool finds a block and you get a large payout. The small but steady amounts 50btc gives out are a little dull.

The only decentralised pool is p2pool.
Just because someone claims a centralised pool isn't centralised, it doesn't magically make it decentralised.

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
yxxyun

Activity: 99
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 01:05:00 AM

I like p2pool, but it is not support asic very well.
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4480
Merit: 1800

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 02:44:55 AM

I like p2pool, but it is not support asic very well.
Indeed.

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
spooderman
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1022

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2013, 11:13:59 AM

The only decentralised pool is p2pool.
Just because someone claims a centralised pool isn't centralised, it doesn't magically make it decentralised.

Oh Sad That's disappointing. Care to explain to me the difference between eligius and p2pool?

Ty in advance for if you do Smiley

....also, could eligius in theory perform a 51% attack?

Society doesn't scale.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: