Bitcoin Forum
June 01, 2024, 05:38:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Quantum Computing and Bitcoin  (Read 1752 times)
drb0n3z

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2014, 02:57:06 AM

Excellent picture and explanations folks.
lindatess

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 04:55:00 AM

That picture is misleading... Especially the counting part. You could go through all the numbers 2^256 across a lifetime if you wanted to with a computer that was fast enough. I think it would have to assume some kind of minimum period between the counts.

I don't believe it has anything to do with the total number of atoms or matter in the world. I'm pretty sure there are more than 2^256 atoms just on earth. Many times more in the universe.

Bitcoinpro
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 05:05:59 AM

That picture is misleading... Especially the counting part. You could go through all the numbers 2^256 across a lifetime if you wanted to with a computer that was fast enough. I think it would have to assume some kind of minimum period between the counts.

I don't believe it has anything to do with the total number of atoms or matter in the world. I'm pretty sure there are more than 2^256 atoms just on earth. Many times more in the universe.

you could easily fill the entire universe with that many atoms the number is almost infinite in size

WWW.FACEBOOK.COM

CRYPTOCURRENCY CENTRAL BANK

LTC: LP7bcFENVL9vdmUVea1M6FMyjSmUfsMVYf
Bono

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 05:08:52 AM

lol @ misleading

http://crypto.stackexchange.com/questions/1145/how-much-would-it-cost-in-u-s-dollars-to-brute-force-a-256-bit-key-in-a-year

https://i.imgur.com/pJcgpal.jpg

Karasugoi

Activity: 113
Merit: 20

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 06:20:50 AM

you could easily fill the entire universe with that many atoms the number is almost infinite in size

While 2^256 is unthinkably large, I'm not sure we could "fill" the universe with this many atoms. 

Isn't 2^256  about 1.1579E +077 ?   

"Universe Today"  has the number of atoms in the entire observable universe estimated to be within the range of 10E +078 to 10E +082,  this doesn't even include the dark matter mass....

Read more: http://www.universetoday.com/36302/atoms-in-the-universe/#ixzz2pJVB892V

| S U P E R N E T 's BarterDEX | DECENTRALIZED CRYPTOCURRENCY EXCHANGE |
Developed to Unite Coin Communities | ✔ SECURE ✔ FREE ✔ VISIBILITY ✔ EASY INTEGRATION |
greenlion

Activity: 667
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 01:05:44 PM

Commercial quantum computers have been in use for a while: http://www.forbes.com/sites/alexknapp/2011/10/31/lockheed-martin-installs-quantum-computer/

The NSA probably have quite a few of the more advanced ones.

The D-Wave is not really a "quantum computer" in the conventional sense, it uses quantum annealing.

The practical problems related to actually implementing computational entanglement are absolutely ridiculous in scope, and at the end of the day, we really don't even know if the universe actually works in such a way to allow for this technology to exist as we envision it in the first place.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: