Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 09:38:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Thinking about buying an April Cointerra unit for ~8 BTC? Take my bet instead.  (Read 4825 times)
gmaxwell (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 4172
Merit: 8419

View Profile WWW
January 04, 2014, 09:41:36 AM

Exactly. So is there an upper limit for the $/BTC exchange rate at which you would take the bet? Something like "$6000 equivalent in BTC up to $/BTC rate of $X"? Also, if you can codify what the changes in the terms would be if the $/BTC rate did go higher, that would give me a better sense of when I would want to trigger such a bet.
My bet is based on an expected return on mining. The exchange rate only really matters here in that it changes how much you pay me. E.g. say I expect the device to produce 2 BTC if so obviously I'm not going to offer it to you on terms where you only give me 2BTC.   I solved it for the 8 BTC number, I need to go generalize my software to sweep the exchange rates, to come up with the other parameters. Gimme a day. Tongue
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cdog

Activity: 1036
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 05:55:12 AM

How is this a better bet at all?  The hardware will continue to mine even after the first year and at 28nm it will remain above electricity costs for a very long time.  Even if you mine for one year the machine will not be worthless so this is a silly bet.  
So, how much do you believe the lifetime income from the device will be (including disposal)?

I think buying an April Cointerra unit at 8 BTC would be unwise. If you think it would be wise to make such a purchase, that suggests that I believe the lifetime income will be substantially lower than you do. If so, we should be able to structure a contract which pays you better than buying the unit if you are right (and in the event that you would have lost money pays me). I'm willing to consider alternative terms, including increased upside liability on my part, though I may require some mixture of increase power offset, a reduced premium, and/or a initial offset (e.g. the returns start out slightly negative).
That said the risk is certainly very high that you may be correct but that's the risk we take.

As a professional gambler, let me explain to you what risk is. Risk is when we take a pair of Queens against Ace-King all in preflop (54% favorite)

Gambling is when we have the worst of it, flush draw vs a set, not getting the rights odds to call, but say "ahhh fuck it" and stick in the chips.

What you are doing isnt taking a calculated risk with a positive expectation. What you are doing sir, is purely gambling, hoping to get lucky.
User705
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1006

First 100% Liquid Stablecoin Backed by Gold

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 05:19:21 AM

Just buy one in fiat, do not waste good BTC on hardware!
Bad comparison, ... you could always use your fiat instead to buy BTC. So even if you buy with fiat you're still wasting your ability to purchase BTC.

You assume every person or corporation has the ability to do that. Not true.
Who would have the ability to buy a miner but not buy XBT Huh

DPoS

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 07:35:41 AM

Just buy one in fiat, do not waste good BTC on hardware!
Bad comparison, ... you could always use your fiat instead to buy BTC. So even if you buy with fiat you're still wasting your ability to purchase BTC.

You assume every person or corporation has the ability to do that. Not true.
Who would have the ability to buy a miner but not buy XBT Huh

credit?  purchase orders?

~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~Play Boardgames for Bitcoins!!~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~ Something I say help? Donate BTC! 1KN1K1xStzsgfYxdArSX4PEjFfcLEuYhid
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: