Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 04:22:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Convince me (Point number one)  (Read 1098 times)
xtoro (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 11:27:50 AM
Last edit: August 28, 2011, 11:42:47 AM by xtoro

I've racked up quite a few bitcoins myself, and purchased some.  But with the price roller coaster and ever-rising difficulty, why would this or how could this EVER become a usable currency?

Here's some things that have bothered me about the currency.

1) Not enough people own any of the currency, and retailers will never bite.

You need much more than a couple hundred thousand people to have a currency.  Also, it doesn't really work when a very small amount of people have such a large chunk of the total currency.  And why would the rest of the world consider it valuable?  Ever?  

Say myself and a dozen friends come up with a design for a physical coin made out of wood, lets call them woodcoins.  However, for a woodcoin to be worth anything within our group, it needs to be hand carved with a specific and complex design.  We then start trading and buying eachother's woodcoins as a hobby, and the "value" within our group starts to get high because the ones that have the most are considering themselves "rich".  Does the rest of the world care what these wooden coins are?  No.

Ok, so let's find some small mom and pop shops that will accept these woodcoins because they have value to us.  They find that we would purchase them back from the shop for real cash, because we believe they have value.  So the shop sells t-shirts or other cheap crap and will accept the woodcoin as payment, and then immediately go back to sell the woodcoin back to someone else in the group.  So the woodcoins never really leave the group.  Why not?  Because the shop can't buy it's supplies to make it's product using the woodcoins, and it can't pay for it's rent and utilities using woodcoins, they need real world cash.

Eventually, the shop stops accepting the woodcoins because it's more of a hassle than just dealing with straight cash, and it's also unpredictable since the value is determined within this group of a dozen people and they can lose out any time if the price drops.  Shops don't want to gamble, they want to make a steady cash flow.
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2011, 12:14:51 PM

I've racked up quite a few bitcoins myself, and purchased some.  But with the price roller coaster and ever-rising difficulty, why would this or how could this EVER become a usable currency?

Here's some things that have bothered me about the currency.

1) Not enough people own any of the currency, and retailers will never bite.

You need much more than a couple hundred thousand people to have a currency.  Also, it doesn't really work when a very small amount of people have such a large chunk of the total currency.  And why would the rest of the world consider it valuable?  Ever?  

Say myself and a dozen friends come up with a design for a physical coin made out of wood, lets call them woodcoins.  However, for a woodcoin to be worth anything within our group, it needs to be hand carved with a specific and complex design.  We then start trading and buying eachother's woodcoins as a hobby, and the "value" within our group starts to get high because the ones that have the most are considering themselves "rich".  Does the rest of the world care what these wooden coins are?  No.

Ok, so let's find some small mom and pop shops that will accept these woodcoins because they have value to us.  They find that we would purchase them back from the shop for real cash, because we believe they have value.  So the shop sells t-shirts or other cheap crap and will accept the woodcoin as payment, and then immediately go back to sell the woodcoin back to someone else in the group.  So the woodcoins never really leave the group.  Why not?  Because the shop can't buy it's supplies to make it's product using the woodcoins, and it can't pay for it's rent and utilities using woodcoins, they need real world cash.

Eventually, the shop stops accepting the woodcoins because it's more of a hassle than just dealing with straight cash, and it's also unpredictable since the value is determined within this group of a dozen people and they can lose out any time if the price drops.  Shops don't want to gamble, they want to make a steady cash flow.

Exactly the same argument PayPal had at the beginning. Online and B&M shops wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. Guess what? They ended up embracing it. Now a lot of those shops wished they hadn't touched it. They're in search of an alternative. I wonder if anybody on this board can think of one.

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending <---THAT!?

Rob Lister

Activity: 54

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 12:21:41 PM

Exactly the same argument PayPal had at the beginning. Online and B&M shops wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. Guess what? They ended up embracing it. Now a lot of those shops wished they hadn't touched it. They're in search of an alternative. I wonder if anybody on this board can think of one.

And Visa.  And Mastercard.  And American Express.  And Discovery Card.

kokjo
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

You are WRONG!

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 12:23:11 PM

ever-rising difficulty

FAIL! the difficulty can go down.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 12:25:15 PM

We then start trading and buying eachother's woodcoins as a hobby, and the "value" within our group starts to get high because the ones that have the most are considering themselves "rich".

The difference is that Bitcoin are worth  dollars or euro or any other currency while your "woodcoin" would be worth no dollars.

And having a lot of dollars or euro make you REALLY rich.

The_Duke

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

Lead Core BitKitty Developer

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 12:40:34 PM

We then start trading and buying eachother's woodcoins as a hobby, and the "value" within our group starts to get high because the ones that have the most are considering themselves "rich".

The difference is that Bitcoin are worth  dollars or euro

Uh no. They are not. A bitcoin is absolutely worthless unless people *think* it has a certain value and are willing to buy and sell it for that value.

NOT a member of the so called ''Bitcoin Foundation''. Choose Independence!

Donate to the BitKitty Foundation instead! -> 1Fd4yLneGmxRHnPi6WCMC2hAMzaWvDePF9 <-
Canen

Activity: 49

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 01:10:02 PM

I think the best reason Bitcoin should be used eventually is because it has abilities no other currency has.  It is one of the best ways to send money to another person on the cheap.  It has tons of untapped potential.  A low hanging fruit is gambling.  If a fraction of a percent of the world would play Texas Holdem alone in Bitcoin it could bring the price up tons. I can thing of no other way to play it for money legally in the US.  There are many reasons to use Bitcoin it will just take time for them to get things fully secure and easy to use.  It is getting there fast however I would hang on because although it is a bumpy ride I think it will be worth it.

Try some Texas Holdem for yourself.  They play freerolls all the time and is a great way to get free bitcoin.

https://secure.btcontilt.com/register.php?referred=Canen
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 02:29:37 PM

The difference is that Bitcoin are worth  dollars or euro

Uh no. They are not. A bitcoin is absolutely worthless unless people *think* it has a certain value and are willing to buy and sell it for that value.
Uh the same apply for dollars, euro and other currencies. But you don't open a thread asking why people should use dollars and euro.

And bitcoin is not worthless because with it i can BUY things.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: