Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 04:35:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Addicted to hardware?  (Read 5952 times)
iglasses
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 02:42:59 PM

... but I know the wife-aggro would be immense ...

Bwahahaha ... I feel your pain  Tongue

Wives are the single biggest drag on the global hash speed.

I only have a signature because I'm allowed.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
chadgroover

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 08:50:29 PM

I hear you there buddy!
Try living with someone who won't leave the house unless every single plug socket is turned off at the wall (apart from the fridge of course, because that's perfectly safe!!!)
frankenmint
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1018

HoneybadgerOfMoney.com Weed4bitcoin.com

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2014, 08:11:53 AM

if you look at btcguild rankings, you'll see stats that attribute 80 TH to one single Usergroup.  Where's THAT guy? I used to think I was hot shit with my paultry 620 GH until I saw those rankings.  Still growing up to a TH soon.  I'm not out of btc yet either which is nice.  I've found it more addictive to lurk btc-e and cryptsy instead.  I absolutely love trading and viewing the swings and will occasionally check my hashrate based on both audible noise of the avalon, the solid lights of my BE array, and the occasional check of stats at the pool.  I didn't buy my hardware at once, it came gradually. 

KNC mercury
Bitfury Full kit
Block Erupters
Avalon 80 GH unit

Soon to add some Antminers.  Yes brothers, I too am a Haashaholic.  On the plus, you can get your GF/Wife to buy In...just explain it clearly....and cite the examples of the man who dropped 24 dollars in 2010 as well as the other guy who lost his HDD in UK...that helped me.  Also to those being misogynistic, you just got me in trouble you dicks!  Stock acting like the majority you MINORITIES!      GF quoted - "bring home something nice that was purchased from mining cryptocurrency (yes her words, she knows about altcoins too!)  She'll be more open to it because its a visual example"

lightfoot
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 2240

I fix broken miners. And make holes in teeth :-)

View Profile
January 11, 2014, 08:52:55 PM

Well, in the "utter orgasm of performance", I now have a Jalapeno that has gone from 5gh to 32gh. :-)

Just hit the 200gh club, I think at this point I'm going to stop doing things and let this stuff cycle down....

C
Darthswan

Activity: 818
Merit: 508

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 02:38:58 AM

This is the worse addiction, to date.  I started with an upgraded cube and some eruptor cubes.  After I got an idea of the process, I convinced my wife to purchase our first Antminer 180.  I'm waiting for it in the mail.  I even got her to agree to another antminer, but we just had an unexpected expense pop up, so it's been put on hold.  We will see what happens next month. 

▄▄████▄▄
        ▄▄██████████████▄▄
      ███████████████████████▄▄
      ▀▀█████████████████████████
██▄▄       ▀▀█████████████████████
██████▄▄        ▀█████████████████
███████████▄▄       ▀▀████████████
███████████████▄▄        ▀████████
████████████████████▄▄       ▀▀███
 ▀▀██████████████████████▄▄
▄▄        ▀██████████████████████▄
████▄▄        ▀▀██████████████████
█████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████████
█████████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████
██████████████████▄▄        ▀▀████
▀██████████████████████▄▄
  ▀▀████████████████████████
      ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
           ▀▀███████▀▀

.SEMUX
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
  Semux uses .100% original codebase.
  Superfast with .30 seconds instant finality.
  Tested .5000 tx per block. on open network
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
J_Dubbs (OP)

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 03:45:36 AM

My final blade should arrive tomorrow, and thus my backplane will be maxed out. Scored it for .25btc on a group buy, bringing my avg cost down further. I'm all out of power outlets and now my only choice is to let it run a while. My total speed will be around 225-230gh/s.

Someone is selling a backplane with PSU and 10 blades for $2k on eBay. I'm not gonna buy it, and I know the blades are one foot out the door, but it's almost tempting... Like any good addict, "I'm not a quitter!!"- but I will be doing my best to make no changes for the next 2 months.
J_Dubbs (OP)

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 03:46:23 AM

Well, in the "utter orgasm of performance", I now have a Jalapeno that has gone from 5gh to 32gh. :-)

Just hit the 200gh club, I think at this point I'm going to stop doing things and let this stuff cycle down....

C

That's sick!! Can you post more pics?
palawan

Activity: 386

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 06:07:38 AM

Forget the ROI...  well, maybe not completely.  Let's face it, mining satisfies the geek part of us that wants to tinker with technology and it also satisfies the speculative (gambling) part of us that's trying to earn income (in btc).

How much did I spend building building PC's with premium parts 20 years ago? (oops, just dated myself).  How much did I spend on fishing gear and fishing trips?  I have 2 friends from work that just did a custom-build on a PC for over a thousand $.  I have FOUR friends from work that bought this Mark 5D camera or something like that for over $2K!!   My camera is a point and shoot Samsung and the Nexus 4 so I can't understand that.  My brother and brother-in-law have spent thousands on golf.

So...  when people say we're stupid or dumb because we didn't calculate not getting our ROI...  Just say the truth!  This is a hobby.  and hobbies cost money.  If this hobby turns out to be profitable, well, we can turn around and say to them see!  I told you so!!!    Grin

halu
J_Dubbs (OP)

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 04:11:28 AM

Forget the ROI...  well, maybe not completely.  Let's face it, mining satisfies the geek part of us that wants to tinker with technology and it also satisfies the speculative (gambling) part of us that's trying to earn income (in btc).

How much did I spend building building PC's with premium parts 20 years ago? (oops, just dated myself).  How much did I spend on fishing gear and fishing trips?  I have 2 friends from work that just did a custom-build on a PC for over a thousand $.  I have FOUR friends from work that bought this Mark 5D camera or something like that for over $2K!!   My camera is a point and shoot Samsung and the Nexus 4 so I can't understand that.  My brother and brother-in-law have spent thousands on golf.

So...  when people say we're stupid or dumb because we didn't calculate not getting our ROI...  Just say the truth!  This is a hobby.  and hobbies cost money.  If this hobby turns out to be profitable, well, we can turn around and say to them see!  I told you so!!!    Grin

well said!

I still use my point and shoot camera from 2006 when I travel and my HTC Arrive for day-to-day stuff. Everyone assumes I have an SLR because of how my pictures come out, helps that know my way around all the manual settings and a bit about composition. My wife and her friends always say "You're phone takes the best pictures, wish mine did that!" lol, yeah "the phone" took a good picture, not the guy using it... Very good point though, I know so many people that dump big bucks on an SLR camera and they know dick about photography, kinda sad because the things I could do with a nice SLR someday...
lightfoot
Legendary

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 04:52:11 AM

C

That's sick!! Can you post more pics?
It's also the coolest system I have running at 45c. That corsair is exceptionally good.

I have a write up with more pics over here.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=336782.0;topicseen

Well worth the read.
ManeBjorn
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 03:21:28 AM

Yes they are.
Now if they thought of it like shoes we would have unlimited amounts of gear. LOL

r00tdude

Activity: 206
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 07:02:31 PM

Oh boy. Self analysis is a bitch.

My name is RootDude and I, too am addicted to mining... Started out with a really cool purchase of a 30x BE setup (including all fans, hubs, etc. to get started)... GF saw all the action and wanted in once she saw the potential in BTC... and from there it became a full-blown clusterfuck of incoming and outgoing gear - trading up every time an opportunity presented itself. Racing home from work to meet the delivery guy and throwing the new rig on the USB hub and jumping back in the car to my real job. Sweating (literally) late deliveries in the face of rising difficulty... Can I get a hallelujah from those of you that have done this multiple times a week?

Once I tuned in to the rest of the world (pre-order anxiety and difficulty adjustments) I talked myself out of ASICs and straight BTC mining and am now awaiting my GPU gear to do alts and trading to satisfy my urges. I read 'Pics of your mining rig' posts before anything else in the forums getting ideas for how my next one should be set up... At least in the alt/GPU world, difficulties are relatively steady as opposed to BTC, and a new GPU can fend off a small dent in profitability. I curse Alpha-T and hope they are the frauds everyone thinks they are. I don't do pre-orders because it gives me hives and angina.

That is my testimony.

Oh, and money? Will my stuff ROI? Probably when I sell it after mining and trading a while. During all of my incoming and outgoing purchases I managed to 'bank' a couple of BTC which I'm hanging on to with sharp claws. I'd never spend BTC to mine BTC... seems counter intuitive to me. YMMV.

Peace,
RootDude

Bitrated user: r00tdude.
r00tdude

Activity: 206
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 07:09:02 PM

So are girlfriends, until they are duly educated and indoctrinated. I had to laugh when I read this ^^^.

Bitrated user: r00tdude.
Darthswan

Activity: 818
Merit: 508

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 07:09:56 PM

So are girlfriends, until they are duly educated and indoctrinated. I had to laugh when I read this ^^^.

LMAOOOOOOO that's funny and true.

▄▄████▄▄
        ▄▄██████████████▄▄
      ███████████████████████▄▄
      ▀▀█████████████████████████
██▄▄       ▀▀█████████████████████
██████▄▄        ▀█████████████████
███████████▄▄       ▀▀████████████
███████████████▄▄        ▀████████
████████████████████▄▄       ▀▀███
▄▄        ▀██████████████████████▄
████▄▄        ▀▀██████████████████
█████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████████
█████████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████
██████████████████▄▄        ▀▀████
▀██████████████████████▄▄
  ▀▀████████████████████████
      ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
           ▀▀███████▀▀

.SEMUX
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
  Semux uses .100% original codebase.
  Superfast with .30 seconds instant finality.
  Tested .5000 tx per block. on open network
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
lightfoot
Legendary

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 10:23:51 PM

Oddly enough I am bored after getting jallies to 8 chips. So I found a new challenge:

Get a BFL Single/25 to 60gh. This will be interesting... I'm keeping a thread over here:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=424604.msg4624265#msg4624265

What's the worst that can happen?

C
activescott

Activity: 53

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 08:56:27 AM

"My name is activescott and I'm a haashahollic" Smiley

Reading this thread pushed me over the edge and I bid on that antminer S1 on ebay. So let me know when the next meeting is Shocked
lightfoot
Legendary

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 11:13:48 AM

Heh. I'm not going to Amtminers, this addiction has to stop with BFL stuff.

Speaking of which I managed to add a good 20gh of performance to my single/25 here. Now up to 48gh; I might add one more chip ust to bring it to a nice even 50gh. Yep, addict. :-)

C
ManeBjorn
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 03:53:59 PM

Very cool.
If I tied to add chips I would burn the whole house down. LOL

Speaking of which I managed to add a good 20gh of performance to my single/25 here. Now up to 48gh; I might add one more chip ust to bring it to a nice even 50gh. Yep, addict. :-)

C

activescott

Activity: 53

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 09:42:00 PM

C

Cool, that sounds fun. How do you go about doing that?
lightfoot
Legendary

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 12:19:28 AM

Cool, that sounds fun. How do you go about doing that?
One step at a time to be honest. Started with a 5gh jally, then flashed it, then started thinking about more chips, then one thing led to another....

And here, as they say, we are. Basically it requires a will to try new things and wonder what the worst that can happen is.

C
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: