Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 04:08:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BITCOINPLUS???  (Read 2238 times)
qiwoman

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 04:28:38 PM

What is happening at the moment is some are cashing out big profits and whales are trying to put in fake sell orders to keep the price down so all is good. It's great for the coin to change hands anyway. I am holding for the long term.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
poornamelessme

Activity: 1204
Merit: 509

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 05:57:46 PM

What is happening at the moment is some are cashing out big profits and whales are trying to put in fake sell orders to keep the price down so all is good. It's great for the coin to change hands anyway. I am holding for the long term.

I sort of hope the price remains where it is now for a little while. It's a bit more peaceful to build slowly than jump like it has been.

I'm not sure if whales are cashing out for big profits necessarily, but instead selling high/buying low... and ending up with even more coins.

But at some point whales will begin simply selling some coin, taking all profit. I'm just a regular xbc fish with about 125 coins, but I've wondered at what point should I cash out some.

chesthing
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 07:59:15 PM

I sort of hope the price remains where it is now for a little while. It's a bit more peaceful to build slowly than jump like it has been.

I'm not sure if whales are cashing out for big profits necessarily, but instead selling high/buying low... and ending up with even more coins.

But at some point whales will begin simply selling some coin, taking all profit. I'm just a regular xbc fish with about 125 coins, but I've wondered at what point should I cash out some.

What price did you buy at?
My take is if you didn't buy below .01 stay out for now. There are just too many .001 coins out there waiting to be dumped.
poornamelessme

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 08:09:01 PM

What price did you buy at?
My take is if you didn't buy below .01 stay out for now. There are just too many .001 coins out there waiting to be dumped.

I haven't figured out my exact buy-in price ... think it probably averages out to around .0025ish. I bought 50 coins at ipo prices (kicking myself for not getting more) ... then bought some more before it hit .005. 

I tried my hand at the 'sell high/buy low' game, with some of my extra coins I keep on the exchange. It felt way too stressful for a net gain of an extra .5 xbc. I think I'm not really cut out for that type of trading. I kept worrying I lost my extra coins for less than I wanted, to gain very little extra.

I figure most of the sell-offs will come if the coin reaches close to .1. But some whales may hold a lot of their coins still, hoping for btc parity or more. It sounds weird to say this, but it doesn't take an insane market cap to reach those levels -- however unlikely, it could be possible at some point.
chesthing
Legendary

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 08:23:51 PM

You should have followed the pump yesterday and dumped them in the 3s someplace, my opinion. I saw what was happening and turned .5 btc into 1.2 btc after buying at .016.
You have to understand how many are sitting on such a huge profit, until these coins change hands it's not going to entertain .1 or anything near it. If I was in your shoes right now I'd watch it for awhile and dump 3/4 of them slowly as high as you can today, keep the other 1/4 just in case and keep my eye open for buying some back in dips.
I I also believe that part of this coin's explosion is being traded on Pol only. I think it will sink like a stone if/when Mint or Cryptsy pick it up, although it could pump before deflation. Not that I'm some guru or anything, but if I'm you there's no way in hell I'm not taking some profit now - a bird in hand is worth 2 in the bush.
poornamelessme

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 08:31:33 PM

You should have followed the pump yesterday and dumped them in the 3s someplace, my opinion. I saw what was happening and turned .5 btc into 1.2 btc after buying at .016.
You have to understand how many are sitting on such a huge profit, until these coins change hands it's not going to entertain .1 or anything near it. If I was in your shoes right now I'd watch it for awhile and dump 3/4 of them slowly as high as you can today, keep the other 1/4 just in case and keep my eye open for buying some back in dips.
Not that I'm some guru or anything, but if I'm you there's no way in hell I'm not taking some profit now - a bird in hand is worth 2 in the bush.

Eh, I'm not selling at current prices. If I bought in at a higher price and wanted to flip for a quick profit, yep. But it's not like I need the extra btc right now, so I can wait. Right now is a dip right off of a pump... where those who sold at the high end of the pump are scooping up cheaper coins.

As for .1 ... not so sure if it'll take that long. I wouldn't be that surprised to see .05+ in the somewhat near future.

Then again, I'm not really a pump and dump sort of person, so who knows.
chesthing
Legendary

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 08:42:43 PM

Suit yourself. Knowing crypto you might end up taking a loss if you wait long enough, and there isn't anything special enough about xbc to justify your expectations. Good luck.
poornamelessme

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 08:49:11 PM
Last edit: May 04, 2014, 09:02:52 PM by poornamelessme

Suit yourself. Knowing crypto you might end up taking a loss if you wait long enough, and there isn't anything special enough about xbc to justify your expectations. Good luck.

Well, considering my buy in point, it would seem extremely unlikely that I will take a loss, unless the coin somehow goes down back to around ipo levels. Actually I don't think I can even take a loss, when I think about it, as I did sell some/buy back in, early on, covering around my buy in amount.

It is possible I will take less profit than optimal, however. We shall see. The same could be said when the coin was .0027, rather than currently .027.

Again, mostly curious what longterm whales think. Or at least those who claim they are longterm holders. Everyone has a selling point.
chesthing
Legendary

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 09:02:08 PM

I do admit I focus too much on the fact that all of these coins have the same inherent value - zero. I've lost out on a lot of profit underestimating hype, which is the main factor that determines value.
poornamelessme

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 09:08:46 PM

I do admit I focus too much on the fact that all of these coins have the same inherent value - zero. I've lost out on a lot of profit underestimating it.

If you think too much about it, you begin to think every coin is worthless and everyone is crazy here for investing anything. But the same can be said of many physical commodities too.

I started in crypto a couple of months ago with a mighty investment of $38. I don't mine, so no power costs... $38 and time is all I have invested. I view it as a game. I can't really lose, although I may not profit as much as possible.
chesthing
Legendary

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 09:25:37 PM
Last edit: May 04, 2014, 09:41:19 PM by chesthing

I do admit I focus too much on the fact that all of these coins have the same inherent value - zero. I've lost out on a lot of profit underestimating it.

If you think too much about it, you begin to think every coin is worthless and everyone is crazy here for investing anything. But the same can be said of many physical commodities too.

I do have that feeling a lot. To think a piece of computer code is worth $450 is hard to get my head around. So is valuing one coin with a market cap of 9 million and another with a market cap of $90k, with the only real difference I see being the name. Throw in all the whale manipulations - getting people to panic buy then panic sell and the unbelievable unpredictability of it all and it's pretty damn hard to make a buck. Sounds like you are doing very well.
I sat there and watched the ipo run out, I could have bought at .001 as people in the trollbox were going nuts. I had no idea what xbc was, never looked at it twice - but something inside me told me to buy it - I just didn't act on it. My bad for not doing more research I guess, but I'm not getting down on myself about it. It could just as easily went down as up for all the information I knew about it.
The thing that never leaves my mind is this is a zero sum game - for every dollar won a dollar is lost, and there are many more losers than winners. For that reason I'm very cautious and conservative, I pretty much only go in on what I feel are sure things and always pull out when I've made a decent profit or by the end of the day. I've woken up to find my money worth 1/10 what it was the night before, and I won't take that chance again. I also cash out my btc's as I make them, only keeping about 1.5 btc to bet with. I realize this strategy won't ever make me rich, but this will end up being something I've never had before - a fun hobby that pays instead of costs.
poornamelessme

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 09:38:03 PM

I do have that feeling a lot. To think a piece of computer code is worth $450 is hard to get my head around. So is valuing one coin with a market cap of 9 million and another with a market cap of $90k, with the only real difference I see being the name. Throw in all the whale manipulations - getting people to panic buy then panic sell and the unbelievable unpredictability of it all and it's pretty damn hard to make a buck. Sounds like you are doing very well.
I sat there and watched the ipo run out, I could have bought at .001 as people in the trollbox were going nuts. I had no idea what xbc was, never looked at it twice - but something inside me told me to buy it - I just didn't act on it. My bad for not doing more research I guess, but I'm not getting down on myself about it. It could just as easily went down as up for all the information I knew about it.

The way I view it is... yeah, it's crazy. There are pumps/dumps for all coins, whale manipulations, shady devs, shady exchanges, unequal distributions, etc. In many cases, coins are simply clones with different names, no unique features ... but some can be worth a fortune, some close to nothing. I guess I simply think -- it's nuts, but so is bitcoin. If bitcoin can get up to $1200, all bets are off.

I wish I paid attention to the ipo. I first noticed it the night before it sold out, had no idea what it was, and I knew nothing about it. It didn't help that I was very btc poor at the time, as I spent most of my spare btc on darkcoin before it shot up (probably should have sold some during last pump, but that is a different issue). I only had crumbs lying about if I wanted to do the ipo, hence why I only got 50 coins to start with.

Yeah, I should have sold some stuff and got more coins. And it bugs me... but if we all knew what prices would do, we'd all be rich. I have a different problem with that inner voice/hunch thing... it always tells me not to buy things. I think my brain is a miser.
chesthing
Legendary

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 09:49:03 PM

My absolute biggest problem is selling cheap, and it all comes down to the worthlessness I feel the coin has. I made an absolute mess of BC. Bought at 2500, sold at 3500, stubbornly refused to buy back in unless it crashed to below my sell of 3500 until - get this - 35000. That's when in unbelivable amazement I gave in and said this thing just isn't stopping. That night it was at 95k, but this time I wasn't going to make the same mistake and dump this great coin - next morning it was in the teens. I didn't end up losing anything because I waited until it got back to 35k and dumped it to come out even.
What a pisser. The truth is, though, that a ton of people lost a crap load on that pump. Panic buying up top, waking up and panic selling at the bottom. What happened there was a few made literally millions off many. Anyway, I've decided flipping a coin is about as valid as researching to decide which coin will moon next, so the only thing I can really do is watch for pumps and try to ride them for awhile. But I did learn one thing from BC, not to be stubborn - if I see XBC pumping again with serious volume I will jump back in regardless of my entry price.
poornamelessme

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 10:02:30 PM

My absolute biggest problem is selling cheap, and it all comes down to the worthlessness I feel the coin has. I made an absolute mess of BC. Bought at 2500, sold at 3500, stubbornly refused to buy back in unless it crashed to below my sell of 3500 until - get this - 35000. That's when in unbelivable amazement I gave in and said this thing just isn't stopping. That night it was at 95k, but this time I wasn't going to make the same mistake and dump this great coin - next morning it was in the teens. I didn't end up losing anything because I waited until it got back to 35k and dumped it to come out even.
What a pisser. The truth is, though, that a ton of people lost a crap load on that pump. Panic buying up top, waking up and panic selling at the bottom. What happened there was a few made literally millions off many. Anyway, I've decided flipping a coin is about as valid as researching to decide which coin will moon next, so the only thing I can really do is watch for pumps and try to ride them for awhile.

BC baffles me. I never bought any, so I missed the entire pump thing completely. But of all the coins to shoot up, I would have never picked BC. It's one of the reasons why I don't dismiss a coin skyrocketing (like xbc), even though logic may dictate there is no reason for it to.

I'm bad at picking where pumps end, and dumps begin. I think I'll try to go with the idea of being somewhat greedy... just not too greedy. And also not selling off at the first sign of profit.  That's one reason why I said selling xbc now probably doesn't make sense, as it's the dump right after a pump. It's assuming the coin is going to die (after being out like a week), which probably doesn't make much sense. And yeah, it can sink to zero, as could any coin. We are just guessing what will happen.
chesthing
Legendary

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 10:13:36 PM

I'm getting much better at gauging pumps, you have be good to make my strategy work. I think of it like sex - steady climb, then it shoots up really hard and fast then it just hangs there for a bit - that's the orgasm, then it starts to fall and you need to sell as it's falling. If you miss it that's ok, because there always seems to be a dead cat bounce, similar the second time at it with sex - not as high but pretty close. With XCB I sold half my coins at 40, waited for it to fall into the teens from the 40s (I knew it was over but waited for the dead cat bounce) I tried to buy there but it came up too fast, picked some up at 24 then sold them all in the mid 30s after it briefly hit 40. I didn't play it perfectly, but for me that's about as good as it gets - maybe next time I'll really nail it.
With Cinni I bought in the mid 2ks, and bought a bunch more in the 3ks - I had 84k because I just knew it would explode due to the volume. It hit 20k and I should have dumped, but I got caught up in my own hype and I wanted to make up for missing BC. Not only did I miss the peak I also missed the dead cat bounce, and ended up dumping between 10-11k. I made 5 btc, the best payoff I've had, but could have doubled that if I hadn't thought this coin's bubble would be different than the others - another mistake I'll never make, they all follow the same pump/dump pattern.
poornamelessme

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 10:21:27 PM

I'm getting much better at gauging pumps, you have be good to make my strategy work. I think of it like sex - steady climb, then it shoots up really hard and fast then it just hangs there for a bit - that's the orgasm, then it starts to fall and you need to sell as it's falling. If you miss it that's ok, because there always seems to be a dead cat bounce, similar the second time at it with sex - not as high but pretty close. With XCB I sold half my coins at 40, waited for it to fall into the teens from the 40s (I knew it was over but waited for the dead cat bounce) I tried to buy there but it came up too fast, picked some up at 24 then sold them all in the mid 30s after it briefly hit 40. I didn't play it perfectly, but for me that's about as good as it gets - maybe next time I'll really nail it.
With Cinni I bought in the mid 2ks, and bought a bunch more in the 3ks - I had 84k because I just knew it would explode due to the volume. It hit 20k and I should have dumped, but I got caught up in my own hype and I wanted to make up for missing BC. Not only did I miss the peak I also missed the dead cat bounce, and ended up dumping between 10-11k. I made 5 btc, the best payoff I've had, but could have doubled that if I hadn't thought this coin's bubble would be different than the others - another mistake I'll never make, they all follow the same pump/dump pattern.

The problem I have is never knowing when a pump is near its top. You'd think 2-4x price would be the top, but sometimes coins go up 7-10x. My fear is selling in the middle of a pump, then wanting to get back in ... but can't, because the floor has been raised at a level higher than I sold at.

But I haven't done much pump/dump trading, so hopefully I get better at it. Basically I just buy a coin that looks interesting... wait a while.. if it goes up, sell some... if not, just hold. I sometimes wish I bought more junkcoins, as I'd have less qualms about selling them. There is always the fear in the back of my mind that whatever I am selling (if it's a halfway decent coin) might shoot up 100x in the future.
chesthing
Legendary

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 10:34:04 PM

You'll know because it will sit there still following a fast and furious pace. Some will sit there longer than others, and some will fall a bit and sit there then fall a bit more then freefall while others like xbc will pretty much freefall right from the peak. That's when it's time to really think about selling, when it stops and just hangs there. The difference between this and lower places it has stopped and rested is this one is following a fast and furious pace covering a large price range.
Tesla had a nice pump a couple weeks ago, I caught that by total accident. This was a mini pump compared to the big ones, but I still made almost 1btc off it. If you look at the chart you will see it is just like all the others but much smaller and over a very short period of time. It was like the xbc pump on fast forward, the top happened in a flash and down she came, everyone furiously trying to sell at the same time. I recognized this was going to happen because this coin had no volume up to the pump and it was such an unlikely coin for anyone to be caring about - I bought and sold several times and never held a position for over a couple minutes. This was the most fun I've had since I started trading.
Just so you don't think for a second I'm some guru, I've lost plenty making bad choices, its a steep learning curve when you are all alone trying to figure this stuff out. I can say that my mining equip is paid for and I'm up at least a couple grand past that.
Djinou94
Legendary

Activity: 1036

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 10:34:40 PM

Dont worry keep your btc+
Mintpal coming
poornamelessme

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 11:07:10 PM

You'll know because it will sit there still following a fast and furious pace. Some will sit there longer than others, and some will fall a bit and sit there then fall a bit more then freefall while others like xbc will pretty much freefall right from the peak. That's when it's time to really think about selling, when it stops and just hangs there. The difference between this and lower places it has stopped and rested is this one is following a fast and furious pace covering a large price range.
Tesla had a nice pump a couple weeks ago, I caught that by total accident. This was a mini pump compared to the big ones, but I still made almost 1btc off it. If you look at the chart you will see it is just like all the others but much smaller and over a very short period of time. It was like the xbc pump on fast forward, the top happened in a flash and down she came, everyone furiously trying to sell at the same time. I recognized this was going to happen because this coin had no volume up to the pump and it was such an unlikely coin for anyone to be caring about - I bought and sold several times and never held a position for over a couple minutes. This was the most fun I've had since I started trading.
Just so you don't think for a second I'm some guru, I've lost plenty making bad choices, its a steep learning curve when you are all alone trying to figure this stuff out. I can say that my mining equip is paid for and I'm up at least a couple grand past that.

The Tesla thing was a weird one. I had some Tesla crumbs, from some giveaway ages ago, still on an exchange, which I sold. But it was such an oddball coin to pick for a pump.

I'll probably need to watch some pumps a bit to get the hang of the timing. Most of my coins I don't bother with pumps at all. I just buy and hold until they go up in value. Or not.. and just take the loss.

If I wanted to cash all of my coins (not just xbc, but everything) out right now to btc, I'd probably be at around 7-8 btc... no idea if that's good or not, but again, they cost me $38, and I started with this in Jan. I'd like to say it's due to my trading skills or wise decisions, but mostly it's from giveaways, luck and being too cheap for most ipos (one way to avoid scams).
chesthing
Legendary

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 11:15:17 PM

If you turned $38 into 7 btc that's very very good, I'll tell you the vast majority of traders are in the red. Like I said, it's a zero sum game and the best traders make a LOT.
All you really need to do is study the pumps and dumps. Look at AUR, BC, BTC, LTC, CINNI for for a few. Look very closely at the volume, speed and price (vertical movement right before the peak) then observe the dead cat bounce. What happens is it freefalls and everyone tries to find the bottom, and tries to buy on the way back up - this is the dead cat bounce. See what all these have in common, most likely you will see the same thing the next pump/dump you are in on. I wish I was playing AUR, that must have been a hell of a ride.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: