Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 12:51:34 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: #BitcoinRoadtrip evolved - I'm going to live in Portland, OR on BTC alone  (Read 1504 times)
PLATO (OP)

Activity: 493
Merit: 250

Don't trust "BBOD The Best Futures Exchange"

View Profile
August 27, 2011, 12:57:32 AM
Last edit: August 28, 2011, 11:03:01 AM by PLATO

edit: I mean that when I buy goods and services, I won't spend dollars. If I acquire dollars I will turn them into Bitcoins before spending them. During my roadtrip, the closest I came to spending dollars was using a Shell gas card, purchased for 10 btc from user BitcoinExchange. I don't consider this cheating although it's certainly borderline.

Yes this means I will have to convince local vendors to use Bitcoin, that's the point

----

Yo guys it's been months since I've had the time to heavily post here, hi to all the new folks!

I crossed the country from Hartford to Los Angeles spending only Bitcoins. I left in April and arrived in June. Now I'm in Portland and my friend and I are thinking about setting up a household that only spends Bitcoins.

Some additional details on Reddit.

BTW, Props go to mpkomara and lyspooner on IRC for the idea!

All posts by me after 2012 were a compromised account. Probably by "BBOD The Best Futures Exchange". SORRY Y'ALL

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Jered Kenna (TradeHill)

Activity: 420

View Profile WWW
August 27, 2011, 01:00:36 AM

Yo guys it's been months since I've had the time to heavily post here, hi to all the new folks!

I crossed the country from Hartford to Los Angeles spending only Bitcoins. I left in April and arrived in June. Now I'm in Portland and my friend and I are thinking about setting up a household that only spends Bitcoins.

Good meeting you the other day Plato. I love the idea.
Good luck with it. Let's see what we can do.

Jered

P.S. watch out or they're going to try to get some guys living in a house only using Paypal.

moneyandtech.com
@moneyandtech @jeredkenna
BitPay Business Solutions

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
August 27, 2011, 01:21:58 AM

P.S. watch out or they're going to try to get some guys living in a house only using Paypal.

Exactly.  Brought to you by MSNBCGEUNIVERSALTELEMUNDO. 

BitPay : The World Leader in Bitcoin Business Solutions

https://bitpay.com

Does your website accept bitcoins?
Garrett Burgwardt

Activity: 406
Merit: 256

View Profile
August 27, 2011, 03:29:59 AM

Long time no see Wink

Sounds crazy, but then so did bitcoin! You're going to get a landlord to accept BTC, along with local grocery shops and such?
Akiron

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 27, 2011, 03:39:05 AM

Awesome Plato! When you have things going, PM me an address and I'll donate a few more BTC.
LightRider
Legendary

Activity: 1500
Merit: 1021

I advocate the Zeitgeist Movement & Venus Project.

View Profile WWW
August 27, 2011, 06:03:45 AM
Last edit: August 27, 2011, 06:29:58 AM by LightRider

You are probably just crazy and experienced enough to pull it off. Good luck!

You might also want to look into hydroponics to grow some of your own food. It will reduce the need for currency altogether.

Bitcoin combines money, the wrongest thing in the world, with software, the easiest thing in the world to get wrong.
Visit www.thevenusproject.com and www.theZeitgeistMovement.com.
Meatpile

Activity: 277

View Profile
August 27, 2011, 07:33:31 PM

Hugely disappointing if he ends up just exchanging bitcoins into dollars for anything.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
August 27, 2011, 07:59:36 PM

Hugely disappointing if he ends up just exchanging bitcoins into dollars for anything.

I don't think that's what he's planning, but even earning only coins would be pretty cool. Paying a few major life expenses in coins would be impressive imo, but it's kind of silly at this point to insist the power company takes coins directly or else it's a fail.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
Gerken

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 27, 2011, 08:35:24 PM

It is if he says he's going to live on BC alone. 

Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
August 27, 2011, 09:15:14 PM

I don't think that's what he's planning, but even earning only coins would be pretty cool. Paying a few major life expenses in coins would be impressive imo, but it's kind of silly at this point to insist the power company takes coins directly or else it's a fail.

In Portland you can get Clear 4g internet, and I can provide it for bitcoin.  No USD required. 

Plato, did you ever get those free stickers I sent you?

FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
August 27, 2011, 09:42:13 PM

It is if he says he's going to live on BC alone. 

That could mean a lot of things. Trading coins for dollars seems lame, but why are dollars special? He's going to trade the coins for something, can't eat them afaik. Is it more impressive if he buys walmart giftcards instead? Better if he has someone buy food for him with their own dollars first then gives them coins?

I think the best realistic statement would be "I'm only going to trade my labor and product for Bitcoins and I am going to save any excess value in Bitcoins." The details of whether you buy dollars yourself to get goods or have another person handle that is pretty inconsequential.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
toffoo

Activity: 408
Merit: 261

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 08:00:21 AM

Hello again,

I sold you some Bitcoins way back when, before your road trip.  I hope they went to good use.  Congratulations on making it!

Just curious, what made you decide on Portland?  Why not New Hampshire with the rest of the agorists?

PLATO (OP)

Activity: 493

Don't trust "BBOD The Best Futures Exchange"

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 08:37:03 AM
Last edit: September 17, 2012, 04:22:14 PM by PLATO

I will take a job that pays me in USD if I find one. I will spend bitcoins only on food, clothes, entertainment, whatever. (I just realized this means no more pinball at Ground Kontrol - FUCK.) I would LIKE to pay a landlord bitcoins for combined rent and utilities but if I can't find one I'm willing to cheat and give him dollars.

Littleshop: Does Clear 4G include cell service? If so, can I just toss a SIM in my GSM Nexus S and tether it for internet? Also, I got the stickers, one's on the back of my car and I gave the rest away and referred ppl to cryptoanarchy.us.

toffoo - thanks for the coins dude Smiley I honestly was planning on continuing north to Seattle and Vancouver BC but I kinda fell in love with Portland once I gave up hating hipsters. Everyone's really chill here, there's a great sense of community and people seem receptive to projects like this. Lots of co-ops that might take btc.

edit: i am planning on convincing hundreds of local vendors to adopt Bitcoin

All posts by me after 2012 were a compromised account. Probably by "BBOD The Best Futures Exchange". SORRY Y'ALL
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: