Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 06:28:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Any way to purge the log.000xxxx files in the database folder?  (Read 1212 times)
localhost (OP)

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 10:23:51 AM

Hi,

I recently noticed that the log files contained in the database (%appdata%/Bitcoin/database) folder don't seem to get purged properly. The only things I found about this is https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Data_directory#Subdirectories and https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=20298.0 . The strange thing is that I'm regularly switching between 2 wallets, every time switching the whole content of %appdata%/Bitcoin, and both don't have the same amount of files in %appdata%/Bitcoin/database. Is there any way to purge that folder? I mean, apart from wiping everything but the wallet? Not that that database folder is huge (yet), but I'm worrying about it growing indefinitely...

Thanks

-
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
August 29, 2011, 04:38:11 AM

Restarting your client from time to time will trim the size down. It's only an issue if you leave your client online for weeks.

localhost (OP)

View Profile
August 29, 2011, 05:58:42 AM

Well, yeah, restarting the client removes a few files, but some (for a total of around 80 MB) are staying. The most weird thing is that the bitcoin client doesn't even seem to use them anymore (their last modification dates range from 1 month to a few days).

-
helloworld

Activity: 266

View Profile
August 29, 2011, 07:15:32 AM

Simply deleting them is fine, just make sure you exit the client first.
localhost (OP)

View Profile
August 29, 2011, 07:28:12 AM

Last time I did that (on my empty wallet) the bitcoin client kept crashing when I relaunched it (ran for a few minutes then crash), and I eventually had to wipe out the whole blockchain and start over. Are you really sure I can delete all those files, or do you mean the old ones that haven't been modified for at least a week?

-
helloworld

Activity: 266

View Profile
August 29, 2011, 07:34:14 AM

Last time I did that (on my empty wallet) the bitcoin client kept crashing when I relaunched it (ran for a few minutes then crash), and I eventually had to wipe out the whole blockchain and start over. Are you really sure I can delete all those files, or do you mean the old ones that haven't been modified for at least a week?

Someone else would have to confirm the technicalities, but I've never had any crash problems deleting log files, or any files other than the blockchain+wallet in fact.
localhost (OP)

View Profile
August 29, 2011, 10:00:52 AM

Ok, well I went ahead and deleted all those log files except for the last one, and everything seems fine after running the client for like an hour.

-
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: