Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 02:16:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Coinbase Issues  (Read 2695 times)
MEpatriot (OP)

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 12:30:52 PM

Hi all.  I am brand new to bitcoin, and heard that coinbase.com was a good place to start. 

I created and account on Saturday, and yesterday I attempted to buy my first bitcoin.

I found the multi-step verification process to be quite difficult and frustrating.

Here are the issues I've encountered:

1. I keep getting kicked off the site, and when I go to log back in the previous code I got over the phone from their computer doesn't work, and you have to go ask for another phone call to get another code.  That happened four different times yesterday.

2. I think I ordered a bitcoin, but there was never any indication like "pending" or anything in my account summary to show success (or lack of success.)

3. When checking here: https://coinbase.com/verifications  ...there is this phrase "Complete A Purchase Buy some bitcoin and wait at least 30 days" under level two, which I completely do not understand.  "Wait at least 30 days??"  For what?  BTW, all my level one verification is done except for the bank account verification, which I am hoping to complete today.

4. It refused to verify my identity even though I gave the proper information, and then it says you have to wait 24 hours to try again.  WTH???  I am going to give the same information...

5. I emailed them to complain about some of this stuff, and got what was (I think) a written reply (as opposed to a computer generated reply:)
"Hi there, thanks for the inquiry! A purchase typically takes 4 business days to clear as the funds flow between banks using ACH transfers. It's possible to see the exact delivery time by checking the history page: https://coinbase.com/transfers Keep in mind there are ways to further verify your account and purchase at instant speed! You can see more information on this here: https://coinbase.com/verifications. Hopefully this information helps. Please don't hesitate to send me a message if you need any further assistance!"

As you can see there was no answer about 1> repeatedly being bounced off the site, and having to call for a new code every time, 2> the lack of any indication whether they are actually processing my 1 bitcoin order, 3> their failure to verify my valid identity.

6. I did send two follow up emails to the above reply, and BOTH OF THEM BOUNCED BACK AS UNDELIVERABLE.

I have to say, to this point, I am very unimpressed with Coinbase.com and would welcome any advice anyone can supply.

Thanks!
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MEpatriot (OP)

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 12:37:22 PM

Oh, and this arrived fairly early in the process yesterday in an email from Coinbase:

====================================

Good news. You can now buy and sell more bitcoin on Coinbase.

We've raised your limits to the following:
Buy Limit:     10.00 BTC per day
Sell Limit:     50.00 BTC per day

You can view these limits at any time from the verifications page.

You can visit the buy page now to start a new purchase.

Thank you for choosing Coinbase!

Kind regards,
The Coinbase Team

====================================

Not particularly helpful in understanding WTH is going on...
Why would they send me an email like this if they 1> Can't confirm my first order for ONE bitcoin is in process, 2> Haven't verified my bank account yet, and 3> Have not recognized my valid identity?
BitcoinSteve

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 04:06:38 PM

hello fellow glper

DRK: XtijFQdCcPpKXmtjKF4xdpy6vCvJTymfzw

BTC: 1LbPHiUfegA3Xjfg4YJkJqLNpaRWDcRPay
MEpatriot (OP)

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 04:12:49 PM

Hi.  How'd you know, fellow GLPer?   Greetings and salutations!

-----------------------------------------

Covering two subjects in one post here because of this forum's dumb 5-minute rule:

In addition to the questions already posted...Does anyone know when I can expect to get my bitcoin address?
skivrmt

Activity: 994
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 04:17:09 PM

Covering two subjects in one post here because of this forum's dumb 5-minute rule:

In addition to the questions already posted...Does anyone know when I can expect to get my bitcoin address?

Your bitcoin address?  Does Coinbase give you a bitcoin address?  If you want a bitcoin address download MultiBit or some other wallet type program.

Verification takes at least several business days.  They also sometimes need it in fairly high dpi, like min 300 or 600, sometimes that is an issue. 

Until you purchase a coin, even .1 of coin, and wait 30 days, your purchase orders will not be instant, they will say pending until they withdrawal the funds from your bank account, usually 4 business days.

I've never had an issue with Coinbase, for me, easiest to use in the US.
MEpatriot (OP)

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 04:38:26 PM

Your bitcoin address?  Does Coinbase give you a bitcoin address?  If you want a bitcoin address download MultiBit or some other wallet type program.

I don't know.  I thought they did.

How do I buy bitcoin elsewhere and transfer it into my coinbase wallet if they don't give me a bitcoin address?
Like I said, I am new to all this stuff...
BitcoinSteve

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 04:41:21 PM

How do I buy bitcoin elsewhere and transfer it into my coinbase wallet if they don't give me a bitcoin address?

Click account settings then bitcoin addresses, there should be an address there like 1Dy9HVD6KBpKfuzqartw4r245xmax

skivrmt

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 04:46:46 PM

Click account settings then bitcoin addresses, there should be an address there like 1Dy9HVD6KBpKfuzqartw4r245xmax

Right.  But each purchase on Coinbase generates a new address, or basically a new wallet.  The question is, can you send Bitcoin purchased from somewhere else to one of the wallets on Coinbase?  Which do you choose or can you choose any of them and it will show up? 
BitcoinSteve

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 04:50:09 PM

Right.  But each purchase on Coinbase generates a new address, or basically a new wallet.  The question is, can you send Bitcoin purchased from somewhere else to one of the wallets on Coinbase?  Which do you choose or can you choose any of them and it will show up? 

any of them I have done it, each wallet stays with you.

MEpatriot (OP)

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 04:56:43 PM

Nope.
MEpatriot (OP)

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 06:34:41 PM

Bumping for more input/advice from others who have recently set up a new account at coinbase.com.

TIA...
MEpatriot (OP)

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 09:17:26 PM

Well, Coinbase failed to I.D. me AGAIN, and now I have to wait another 24 hours before they fail me again, no doubt.

Here is what I just sent them:

---------

Also....You have now refused to ID me properly on two separate days. I have never lived on "Big Walnut Road" so, of course I am going to fail a question about what street was nearest that.

PLEASE VERIFY MY I.D. NOW BY CALLING ME AT 207-532-3635.

ALSO...WHERE ARE MY TWO SMALL TEST DEPOSITS TO MY BANK ACCOUNT SO I CAN GET MY BANK ACCOUNT VERIFIED???

I am getting a very large insurance settlement soon, and wanted to test your service first because many people have told me it's the best place to buy bitcoin. However, my attempt to buy just one coin as a test first has been so difficult and fraught with multiple frustrations that I am soon going to be looking elsewhere.

----------------------

Who was saying this was the best exchange around??? ....lol...What a joke.
skivrmt

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 09:27:27 PM

Well, Coinbase failed to I.D. me AGAIN, and now I have to wait another 24 hours before they fail me again, no doubt.

Here is what I just sent them:

---------

Also....You have now refused to ID me properly on two separate days. I have never lived on "Big Walnut Road" so, of course I am going to fail a question about what street was nearest that.

PLEASE VERIFY MY I.D. NOW BY CALLING ME AT 207-532-3635.

ALSO...WHERE ARE MY TWO SMALL TEST DEPOSITS TO MY BANK ACCOUNT SO I CAN GET MY BANK ACCOUNT VERIFIED???

I am getting a very large insurance settlement soon, and wanted to test your service first because many people have told me it's the best place to buy bitcoin. However, my attempt to buy just one coin as a test first has been so difficult and fraught with multiple frustrations that I am soon going to be looking elsewhere.

----------------------

Who was saying this was the best exchange around??? ....lol...What a joke.

Open up another account someplace else and see if it's any easier.  I'm serious actually.  I have an account at Coinbase, Bitstamp, Mt. Gox and itBit, I like to be diversified.  Smiley I would try Bitstamp first as their verification process is quicker than the other two.  You will need a high quality scan of your drivers license and a high quality scan of a bill of some sorts with your address.  Once you're verified you can print out instructions from their website to wire funds  to their bank in Slovenia.  Funds were confirmed the next day for me when I wired funds there.  Fairly simple process.  Took about a week.
MEpatriot (OP)

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 09:46:53 PM

Why would I want to wire funds to a bank in Slovenia?

I just want someone to take the money out of my current bank account, give me a bitcoin address, and show me it has one bitcoin in it...(for now.)

I just want to buy one bitcoin, and I want to do it NOW!!!
bbid

Activity: 7

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 03:03:45 AM

I'm using Coinbase and have been for a while. They are generally really good at getting back with issues such as yours.

My suggestion: give it a bit of time. They are really just watching their own ass. There are a lot of minefields to step through with money laundering and the US gov't breathing down their neck to deny access to and report anyone with suspicious activity. (I'm not saying your activity is suspicious, but it looks like they have a hair trigger and will enforce strange rules seemingly on a whim.) Just be a little patient.

Best,
-bb
toxigenicpoem

Activity: 14

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 03:07:45 AM

Coinbase maybe getting swamped with the uptick in bitcoin fever. But I have loved using them. I don't even have instant buy enabled, and still love that they let you order at current market price.
Bitboomkev

Activity: 11

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 03:14:34 AM

I signed up last week and had no issues. It's a okay service I do dislike the limits and waiting time. Time is money son...lol
skivrmt

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 03:41:01 AM

Why would I want to wire funds to a bank in Slovenia?

I just want someone to take the money out of my current bank account, give me a bitcoin address, and show me it has one bitcoin in it...(for now.)

I just want to buy one bitcoin, and I want to do it NOW!!!

You answered your own question! Why would you want to wire money to Slovenia when you can use a US based bank.  But as one poster said, patience. Coinbase started with 15 employees. They are WAY understaffed at this point having 600,000+ accounts. Ratios just aren't there.  They are hiring a bunch of people but it's going to take months for then to "catch up" with all the verfications, requests etc. AML laws are rough in the US.
MEpatriot (OP)

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 07:47:23 AM

I hear ya, but I don't have time to wait around for them, unfortunately.

Moving on, and if they ever verify my stuff, I may come back and have a look...
MEpatriot (OP)

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 01:16:08 PM

Finally!!!  It took almost two full days just to get to the point where I could purchase some coin...Jeesh...

Did it in 10 minutes or less yesterday on another site.
jzcjca00

Activity: 263
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 02:24:30 PM

Finally!!!  It took almost two full days just to get to the point where I could purchase some coin...Jeesh...

Did it in 10 minutes or less yesterday on another site.

What other site?

Tips much appreciated! 1PPJHDawPvjh6MEzsvXrMYLgpLmyAaNXUc
DeboraMeeks

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 02:24:47 PM

Coinbase have many issues. One of there main disadvantages is that they sometimes cancel orders (based on suspicion) just when BTC price increase significantly,And though you can't be totally sure but it's suspicious they do that to some customers that look trustworthy.
MEpatriot (OP)

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 02:55:15 PM

Coinbase have many issues. One of there main disadvantages is that they sometimes cancel orders (based on suspicion) just when BTC price increase significantly,And though you can't be totally sure but it's suspicious they do that to some customers that look trustworthy.

They claim that no human does that, but that is triggered by some kind of algorithm.  I'd like to see that algorithm!
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: