Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 03:17:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Intrest-bearing Bitcoin Bank.  (Read 2863 times)
MollyR

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 31, 2011, 12:48:39 AM

Hmm, so maybe what we need is a small tax on mined/traded bitcoins, then use those funds to hire people with investigative and/or security skills to secure bitcoin and make sure the big players arent fraudsters.
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
NothinG

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 31, 2011, 01:15:50 AM

Hmm, so maybe what we need is a small tax on mined/traded bitcoins, then use those funds to hire people with investigative and/or security skills to secure bitcoin and make sure the big players arent fraudsters.
Unless you want to start a bank and charge a fee (in-case stuff gets stolen to pay people back until you figure out who did it).

crawdaddy

Activity: 62
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 21, 2011, 12:52:10 AM

How would you tackle the fraud issue? I wouldnt let anyone touch my btc after the Mybitcoin wallet thing, and now we hear Bruce our biggest spokesperson is very likely a long time fraudster, seems like everywhere you turn someone wants to steal your coins.

I think it would be interesting to get a quote for deposit insurance form the Lloyd's of London

http://www.lloyds.com/

If a bank provided real insurance they could charge a little higher fees to cover the cost of insurance. I bet no one would complain.

"The only security men can have for their political liberty, consists in keeping their money in their own pockets".
Lysander Spooner
the founder

Activity: 448
Merit: 251

Bitcoin

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2011, 05:41:39 PM

How would you tackle the fraud issue? I wouldnt let anyone touch my btc after the Mybitcoin wallet thing, and now we hear Bruce our biggest spokesperson is very likely a long time fraudster, seems like everywhere you turn someone wants to steal your coins.

I think it would be interesting to get a quote for deposit insurance form the Lloyd's of London

If a bank provided real insurance they could charge a little higher fees to cover the cost of insurance. I bet no one would complain.

We tried that via lloyds,  the fees were SO high that it would effectively price out smaller deposits...

Bitcoin RSS App / Bitcoin Android App / Bitcoin Webapp http://www.ounce.me  Say thank you here:  1HByHZQ44LUCxxpnqtXDuJVmrSdrGK6Q2f
crawdaddy

Activity: 62
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 22, 2011, 01:43:52 PM

We tried that via lloyds,  the fees were SO high that it would effectively price out smaller deposits...

I think it is awesome that you looked into it!. Could you post the quote? I think it would be a interesting piece of information.

"The only security men can have for their political liberty, consists in keeping their money in their own pockets".
Lysander Spooner
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1063

Gerald Davis

View Profile
December 22, 2011, 01:47:50 PM

We tried that via lloyds,  the fees were SO high that it would effectively price out smaller deposits...

I think it is awesome that you looked into it!. Could you post the quote? I think it would be a interesting piece of information.

Even if you are contractually bound not to post exact pricing, any ballpark information that wouldn't violate any agreements would be a valuable insight.  I think in time bitcoin wallets, banks, and exchanges will offer some sort of insurance.  Even the first entity which offers partial insurance against lost, theft, embezzlement by operator (say covers 50% of lost deposits up to 1000 BTC on losses beyond 25 BTC) would be massive.

BitJammin

Activity: 36

View Profile
December 22, 2011, 06:59:24 PM

I'd be interested in hosting a site like this.
Wouldn't be able to pay much, maybe like 0.01% interest. Grin

You mean like the rate my bank account offers?
deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1025

View Profile WWW
December 22, 2011, 07:09:39 PM

Amazing, isn't it? "Loan us $1000 for a year, and we'll pay you a dollar"... As if banks don't have much confidence in the dollar holding it's value either (along with the fed offering super-cheap prime interest rates [loaning our tax dollars to the rich] as "economic stimulus").
BitJammin

Activity: 36

View Profile
December 22, 2011, 07:14:38 PM

Amazing, isn't it? "Loan us $1000 for a year, and we'll pay you a dollar"... As if banks don't have much confidence in the dollar holding it's value either (along with the fed offering super-cheap prime interest rates [loaning our tax dollars to the rich] as "economic stimulus").

Amazing, astonishing, and yet, disappointing.

But then again...do you have confidence in the dollar?
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1063

Gerald Davis

View Profile
December 22, 2011, 07:28:07 PM

Dollar holding its value isn't the issue.  Inflation favors debtors (which is the bank in a deposit relationship).  The more you anticipate the dollar falling the higher interest you can accept.
altuin

Activity: 42

View Profile
December 23, 2011, 03:22:46 AM

Wait. Does flexcoin do loans?
nmat

Activity: 602
Merit: 501

View Profile
December 23, 2011, 03:53:58 AM

You 'loan' money to flexcoin and it pays interest. Flexcoin does not loan you money, if that's what you asked.
altuin

View Profile
December 23, 2011, 04:00:29 AM

You 'loan' money to flexcoin and it pays interest. Flexcoin does not loan you money, if that's what you asked.
I wanted to take out a loan Sad
If they do not loan money, how are they profitable?
nmat

Activity: 602
Merit: 501

View Profile
December 23, 2011, 04:11:42 AM

I wanted to take out a loan Sad
If they do not loan money, how are they profitable?

Because you pay a fee to send bitcoins. They re-distribute a part of those fees among the users.
Ricochet

Activity: 373
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 23, 2011, 10:08:39 AM

Astounding indeed.  And to think that back in the 70s the common interest rate was well above 20% because banks really wanted you to be their customer.  Granted, to be fair, bank loans were also excessively high at the time.  But inflation changed, interest rates changed, and suddenly we're at the situation where we're almost better off hiding our money under the mattress rather than putting it in a bank that will loan out that money at a 40:1 ratio.
Ricochet

Activity: 373

View Profile
December 23, 2011, 10:17:01 AM

Fun fact:  the economic crisis of 2008 wasn't entirely the fault of Freddie Mae and Fannie Mac.  The federal US government pretty much forced them to approve loans that could not possibly be paid back, under the idea that "higher home ownership == less crime == higher standard of living".  That same government then chastised those firms for doing exactly what they were told to do.
altuin

View Profile
December 24, 2011, 06:37:23 AM

This isn't the place for fun facts.
HOwever, let me put it like this:
Don;t go blaming other people, if you aren't going to blame ALL the other people. the 2008 crisis was the fault of all subprime morgage lenders, the US Gov, Frannie and freddie, and people who bought homes they shouldn't have. I'm probably forgetting somebody here.
Shashi Yakuza

Activity: 17

View Profile
December 25, 2011, 12:09:00 AM

Don;t go blaming other people, if you aren't going to blame ALL the other people. the 2008 crisis was the fault of all subprime morgage lenders, the US Gov, Frannie and freddie, and people who bought homes they shouldn't have. I'm probably forgetting somebody here.
The whole U.S. mortgage lending fiasco is a wonderful study in the madness of crowds. The point where it all went off the rails was when the criteria for lending ceased to be the ability of a borrower to repay and became the ability of lenders to securitize loans off their books.
Shashi Yakuza

Activity: 17

View Profile
December 25, 2011, 12:10:04 AM

jddebug

Activity: 446

View Profile
December 25, 2011, 02:45:19 AM

Thats a bit better than I'm getting on my personal USD savings. Hmmmm. Maybe you should set it up. Smiley
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: