Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 04:40:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining at Home dying out  (Read 5345 times)
EasyQuest

Activity: 198
Merit: 100

Brony Bitcoin, Litecoin Miner

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 01:35:00 PM

I have a 50 AMP circuit upstairs (no basement or space downstairs) and the guy told me it is 100 amps so 80% is 80 amps max.

it is a tandem breaker because I have four spread 120v 20 amp circuits for my Litecoin miners and bitcoin miners

At the moment, my Litecoin side is pulling about 34 amps and bitcoin is about 11 amps so total is 45 amps. Now calculating 80% of 20 amps, it is 16 amps each giving me a safe total of 64 amps to work with.

leaving me about 19 amps to work with across four 20 amp circuit.

If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
actudoran

Activity: 358
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 10:44:50 PM

just a quick thought ... with btc said to speed up to 1800 $ mark within 6 months, wouldn't it be just easier to buy BTC now ?

or has anyone compared cloud mining i.e. cex.io to say just buying btc or just buying available mining equipment below $1000 ?

cheers,
Al
HarrisonS

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 03:55:41 PM

At this point, with the difficulty going out of control, it probably is a better investment to just buy BTC.
klondike_bar
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 12:04:46 AM

just a quick thought ... with btc said to speed up to 1800 $ mark within 6 months, wouldn't it be just easier to buy BTC now ?

or has anyone compared cloud mining i.e. cex.io to say just buying btc or just buying available mining equipment below $1000 ?

cheers,
Al

cloud mining is a bad idea, unless your mining group is re-investing dividends. The best example of this is the 100TH mine which just passed 500TH (1GH per share) with a share price about half of that at CEX.io and the strong likelihood that hardware will continue to be added for the benefit of all shareholders.   https://picostocks.com/stocks/view/19

CEX.io is a jip - the only people making profit are those selling their overprices GHS to others. The second CEX implements fees (not far off, maybe another month or two?) the prices will drop massively.

TBH the only equipment worth buying right now might be the antminer systems, and even those are now overpriced at 4.25BTC
I bought an antminer at 4.75BTC and a second one at 4.25BTC and together they have returned almost 4.5BTC to my pocket. I expect to make about 12BTC on the 9BTC investment and keep some cool hardware. that said, they should not be selling for more than 3BTC each right now, but demand is clearly still much greater than supply.

24" PCI-E cables with 16AWG wires and stripped ends - great for server PSU mods, best prices https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=563461
No longer a wannabe - now an ASIC owner!
glendall
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1018

Sugars.zone | DatingFi - Earn for Posting

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 12:53:06 AM

Bitcoin mining has gone much more mainstream now. With the rising popularity, profits will continue to plummet.

This year, near the end, profits will go to just a few cents above break-even after paying power, and you'll only be able to mine and get ROI if you are paying at least less than 0.1 k/W.

That's sort of just the way it is. It's a race to the bottom now. Like wages that multinational corporations pay, they go over the globe finding the place to pay the least. There will always be someone willing to do it (anything, mining whatever) for less profit than you, so it will go down down down until it is not any less profit any you would not be able to mine.

Sorry you got on the boat so late, the great easy profits that once where for different periods are probably mostly gone after the next few months, and will not return.

short version: mining is popular now, so it's a race to the bottom, profits will fall much more.

.SUGAR.
██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
▄████████████████████████▄
███████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀███████
█████▀██████▀▀██████▀█████
██████████████████████████
█████████████████████▄████
████████▄████████▄████████
▀████████████████████████▀
▀▀████████████████████▀▀

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
███████████████████████████
██████               ██████
██████   ▄████▀      ██████
██████▄▄▄███▀   ▄█   ██████
██████████▀   ▄███   ██████
████████▀   ▄█████▄▄▄██████
██████▀   ▄███████▀▀▀██████
██████   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀   ██████
██████               ██████
Backed By
ZetaChain

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
████████████████████████████
█████████████████▀▀  ███████
█████████████▀▀      ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █▀        ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
██████████████████▄▄████████
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
██████ ▄▀██████████  ███████
███████▄▀▄▀██████  █████████
█████████▄▀▄▀██  ███████████
███████████▄▀▄ █████████████
███████████  ▄▀▄▀███████████
█████████  ████▄▀▄▀█████████
███████  ████████▄▀ ████████
████████████████████████████
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
DrG
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1035

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 06:17:24 AM

Even worse for 110V with crappy wiring - no hope of running a Naptune
there's a 220V plug at electric dryer hookups and central ac units in US. I guess it will need additional wiring.

The second I interfere with the dryer by unplugging it my wife would give me an earful.
You need to improve at marriage. What the Hell's her problem, taking up $100s per year for no reason. Here you have the miners to dry and heat clothes, and she still wants to use a redundant machine specifically for drying instead of putting the clothes on a line? Wow, what an asshole.

Here you are, trying to cut down on electricity costs... YOU are the victim, my friend. Wink

I wonder if BTC is split during divorce in states like CA.  Shocked  Something to consider before playing the victim card  Tongue

Either way I doubt many in CA could mine at home anyways with my residential power now at $0.34  Angry
woutersteven

Activity: 89
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 06:26:56 AM

With regards to SHA256 mining I agree for several reasons:

- As a result of the new generation of ASIC chips coming out, the difficulty will increase so much that current setups are not profitable anymore
- If people do expand, the residential power supply is going to become a major bottleneck. If not this generation of chips, it will be the next generation

With regards to Scrypt mining, I think people can mine at home throughout most of 2014. The first generation of Scrypt mining chips won't be spectacularly better or cheaper than GPU mining and the first generation won't come out until at least the beginning of Q2 in 2014.
ceyre

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 08:03:37 PM

With regards to SHA256 mining I agree for several reasons:

- As a result of the new generation of ASIC chips coming out, the difficulty will increase so much that current setups are not profitable anymore
- If people do expand, the residential power supply is going to become a major bottleneck. If not this generation of chips, it will be the next generation

With regards to Scrypt mining, I think people can mine at home throughout most of 2014. The first generation of Scrypt mining chips won't be spectacularly better or cheaper than GPU mining and the first generation won't come out until at least the beginning of Q2 in 2014.

I think manufacturers will inevitably start designing chips that pander to home users though.  It's what demand requires and we all know that where there's demand, will come supply.
sgbett
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1087

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 07:45:57 PM

KnC Neptune draw 2.2kW at the Wall

at least here in Europe we have a 16A/3k6W limit per phase and fuse,

UK is in Europe.  We have 30A per ring main, 13A per socket.   There is 100A single phase to everyone's houses here.

You could run two Neptunes per ring, and still have plenty of spare current for your normal stuff.  My house has two rings (it's a small 3-bed of 1100sqft).  So, I could run 4x Neptunes with plenty of power to spare.

Your information is inaccurate.

Yeah but the UK (and Ireland) are unique in having their own weird and wonderful domestic wiring - used nowhere else in the world. At least in the rest of Europe, thirty odd countries have managed to agree on a common standard.

BS7671 would suggest otherwise... but I'll take weird and wonderful over barely adequate any day Wink

"A purely peer-to-peer version of electronic cash would allow online payments to be sent directly from one party to another without going through a financial institution" - Satoshi Nakamoto
*my posts are not investment advice*
ralree

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

Manateeeeeeees

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 05:32:31 AM

Get an electrician to put in an L6-30R, which will do 220V 30A (6KW or so).  It only costs a few hundred $.

1MANaTeEZoH4YkgMYz61E5y4s9BYhAuUjG
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 06:32:06 AM

Maybe by that time, the power consumption may remain the same as now, within reach for home miners, but the hash rate would be a lot higher. So ... it might just extend a little bit more. Or we never know, the hash rate would keep getting faster and faster while the power requirements stay within 2000 watts.

Thom

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

Be kind man, don't be mankind

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2013, 09:54:14 PM

That's a point. there's only so much concurrent power you can suck out of one house, and wiring and fusing configs lower that ceiling further. I can't use a washing machine, vacuum and microwave simultaneously on my ground floor without tripping a fuse.

Hopefully though this will make for a trend of making chips that are less power hungry per hash, rather than the current race of who can put the most chips into one machine without starting fires.

This is already in evidence when you lookit the tiny miners: Block Erupter USB and Antminer USB are the same size and power draw, with a considerable difference in hashpower.

It's short for Thomassina ⚥ • BTC veteran, Bitcointalk neophyte • BTC1THoM4cn8hHTyE637DEPMCLcerZe1mL1X • Cex.IO Cloud Mining - don't risk preorders, mine & trade now!
༺ ☤ Curecoin - Fold Proteins, Earn Coins! ☤   CURE: B8cjEuGKH3qofsxGGEVYdTwUrpfCTxQP7u ༻
cdog

Activity: 1036
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 05:41:01 AM

Exhaustive research has proven that mining and marriage dont mix, its like oil and water really, even if you put it in a blender it just gets messy
mpattison

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 05:58:01 AM

Exhaustive research has proven that mining and marriage dont mix, its like oil and water really, even if you put it in a blender it just gets messy

Unless you have a basement, right?
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 09:22:36 AM

No way. Miners are providing Winter heat. I'm super-stingy about the thermostat which tends to lead to a lot of arguments, so it's keeping the house 6*F above what I'd have it at right now, and hotter during day time when the sun's helping out. I put a copy of CGRemote on her laptop. It's an extremely intuitive interface. Profit, heat, involvement.
vapourminer
Legendary

Activity: 4326
Merit: 3536

what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 01:07:41 PM

Unless you have a basement, right?

yup.

miners in the basement works for the wife and I Smiley
actudoran

Activity: 358
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 06:57:07 PM

I can see myself convincing the missus on condition that part of the profit will go towards a "common" interest. But got screwed by the avalon stuff and now have to check the group buy option. HAd the ideal location and all with 380 V power supply that holds a lot of amps too Smiley

ah well ... so ... cloud or group then huh ?
ScaryHash

Activity: 529
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 11:58:27 PM

No way. Miners are providing Winter heat. I'm super-stingy about the thermostat which tends to lead to a lot of arguments, so it's keeping the house 6*F above what I'd have it at right now, and hotter during day time when the sun's helping out. I put a copy of CGRemote on her laptop. It's an extremely intuitive interface. Profit, heat, involvement.

+1

Now that's a good way to keep a marriage going.

Next, if BTC keeps gaining in popularity, you can stick a credit card with BTC in her ass, and send her out shopping, FTW.
klondike_bar
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 02:56:56 PM

+1

Now that's a good way to keep a marriage going.

Next, if BTC keeps gaining in popularity, you can stick a credit card with BTC in her ass, and send her out shopping, FTW.

does yours like to shove a fishing rod up your ass when she wants to to go out with the guys? weird kink

24" PCI-E cables with 16AWG wires and stripped ends - great for server PSU mods, best prices https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=563461
No longer a wannabe - now an ASIC owner!
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: