Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 01:50:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: AMT 80 GH/s miner review.  (Read 7867 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
freddyfarnsworth

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 07:31:52 AM
Last edit: January 14, 2014, 07:41:55 AM by freddyfarnsworth

Keep 540
900 will kill these boards

Best
Really? 900 was how it came to me. I just kicked it down to 880, will see how that does. Thanks, Martin. Didn't know you were watching Smiley

Is there docs for these someplace? The search function on this forum is... retarded. It misses things I was just reading.

I think he meant 920mv would not be nice till you do a litefoot on it, and add sinks to fets and pll chips if not done already.
Litefoot is hacking jalleys right now, started on BFL singles this week. Smart guy... will link when I find it.

Hacking, volting, cooling, soldering, and adding chips:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=336782.0

BTC: 1F1X9dN2PRortYaDkq89YJDbQ72i3F5N3h MEOW: KAbvy9jrrajvN5WLo7RWBsYqYfJKyN9WLf DOGE: DAyKSrTiVeRZaReTu1Cyf5Je6qPdKTuKKE
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Biomech (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1022

Anarchy is not chaos.

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 07:37:36 AM

Keep 540
900 will kill these boards

Best
Really? 900 was how it came to me. I just kicked it down to 880, will see how that does. Thanks, Martin. Didn't know you were watching Smiley

Is there docs for these someplace? The search function on this forum is... retarded. It misses things I was just reading.

I think he meant 920mv would not be nice till you do a litefoot on it, and add sinks to fets and pll chips if not done already.
Litefoot is hacking jalleys right now, started on BFL singles this week. Smart guy... will link when I find it.

Could be. But dropping it to 880 seems to have stabilized the swings and still is hashing right at 79-80 GH/s. Dropped it 10 watts on the Kill-A-Watt too. This is fun Tongue
Biomech (OP)
Legendary

Anarchy is not chaos.

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 01:15:33 AM

My little bitcoin has arrived. Cara Michelle Biomech came into the world at 13:13 today, 7lbs 8 oz. We are still at the hospital, but mama and baby are doing fine.

Flying Hellfish
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1750

Verified Bernie Bro - Feel The Bern!

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 01:56:54 AM

My little bitcoin has arrived. Cara Michelle Biomech came into the world at 13:13 today, 7lbs 8 oz. We are still at the hospital, but mama and baby are doing fine.

Congratulations man, enjoy!
vesperwillow

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 02:06:12 PM

Awesome, congrats!

FiatKiller

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 07:52:35 PM

congrats! start her wallet now...  lol

LTC: LdxgJQLUdr8hZ79BV5AYbxkBUdaXctXAPi
MoonCoin Gambling: https://coin-horse.com/MON/
Biomech (OP)
Legendary

Anarchy is not chaos.

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 07:54:38 PM

still in hospital. Soon Wink
Flying Hellfish
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1750

Verified Bernie Bro - Feel The Bern!

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 08:47:45 PM

still in hospital. Soon Wink

BTC RESP hmmm what an interesting idea.  Think I will take a couple BTC for each of my kids and stick em in cold storage till they're ready for University.
Biomech (OP)
Legendary

Anarchy is not chaos.

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 02:37:37 AM

Before this thread is totally derailed, here she is!

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=420848.new#new
ManeBjorn
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 04:33:58 AM

Congratulations!
Enjoy.

Biomech (OP)
Legendary

Anarchy is not chaos.

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 06:27:32 AM

updated OP
Biomech (OP)
Legendary

Anarchy is not chaos.

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 03:24:23 AM

OP updated.
Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 03:40:31 AM

My overall impression remains very good. If the quality of this machine is an indicator, AMT is the real deal.

I think you meant to say Technobit is the real deal. All AMT does is buy Lian Li cases and put Technobit boards in it.

Buy & Hold
Biomech (OP)
Legendary

Anarchy is not chaos.

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 03:43:19 AM

My overall impression remains very good. If the quality of this machine is an indicator, AMT is the real deal.

I think you meant to say Technobit is the real deal. All AMT does is buy Lian Li cases and put Technobit boards in it.

The same could be said of your computer. I all but guarantee that all of it's components are "outsourced". That's a quibble, at best. They put it together well. I have heard lots of bad stories about the technobit boards in other applications. Good ones, too. Just like anyone can slop together a computer, but doing it right takes some finesse.

Besides, I always knew technobit was the real deal. Watched that project from Klondike onward Smiley
Biomech (OP)
Legendary

Anarchy is not chaos.

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 12:29:53 PM

Updated OP.
Puppet
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1040

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 10:34:12 AM

Biomech, I know you didnt ask to be a reviewer, so Im cutting you all the slack I can manage, dont take this personal, but really, you didnt review the AMT unit, you reviewed OpenWRT + cgminer. Just about nothing you tested is unique to AMT, somehow you managed a review without even looking at the box. No word on noise levels, build quality, size/weight, power consumption (!), no look under the hood whats actually in there, what PSU did they use, what boards, what router/host, etc, etc.
Biomech (OP)
Legendary

Anarchy is not chaos.

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 12:09:27 PM

Biomech, I know you didnt ask to be a reviewer, so Im cutting you all the slack I can manage, dont take this personal, but really, you didnt review the AMT unit, you reviewed OpenWRT + cgminer. Just about nothing you tested is unique to AMT, somehow you managed a review without even looking at the box. No word on noise levels, build quality, size/weight, power consumption (!), no look under the hood whats actually in there, what PSU did they use, what boards, what router/host, etc, etc.

Keep picking at me. I don't take offense. I want to do this right.

I'll shoot some more stills and put them in this thread. To be perfectly honest, I think they picked the wrong guy. I'm a veteran of computers, not bitcoin miners. I'm also pretty much a political theorist. I do NOT understand why I was the one they chose.

To answer your specifics on this, the power consumption varies somewhat, as does the hashrate, but the range is 165 to 180 watts, usually tending to about 170. The router/firmware unit is a TP-Link TL-MR3020 . The two hashing boards are Technobit HEX16B bitfury based units.

I want to address the "nothing unique to AMT" part. You are correct in this. They assembled it and configured the firmware. They are essentially a reseller, as far as I can tell. I think they are trying to make their own boards for the Coincraft series, but this one is a technobit, preconfigured and put in a nice case. While I find their lack of communication and transparency as egregious as the rest of you, I don't find any problem with this part. The very mainstream laptop I'm typing this on is under the "acer" brand, yet when I took it's twin apart, almost nothing under the hood was made by or even branded by acer. Same with Dell, HP, etcetera. It's been the model in computers for a long time. Components are rebranded and repackaged. We knew they were working with Technobit before they shipped a single unit, so they weren't even opaque on that one.

I am upset with them. I really wanted them to come through. I'm sure you saw my post in the main thread, and it's the truth. But unless they drastically change what they're doing within the next few days, I'll be buying Ants. Which sucks, because I DO like this machine. It worked as advertised, aside from the power draw, and that's pretty significant in this brave new world. But doing it once or twice and doing it en masse are different things. I can't endorse this company as it stands. I am grateful for the machine, but they didn't follow through.

I took a few shots at you early on. It was mostly in humour. I think you are one of the more objective, if pessimistic, people on this forum. I'm an eternal optimist, and it has burned me on more than one occasion.

AMT gave me a start in bitcoin mining, and have personally done well by me. It was unexpected, kind of flattering, and a lot of fun. But I'm one guy, and by now there should be hundreds. I'll keep updating this as I play with the machine, but I will not endorse AMT based on this alone. So far, as near as I can ascertain, maybe a dozen people have received these machines, and I've not heard of any major problems with them. But they have not addressed the minor ones, such as lack of proper documentation, shipping queue, refund policy, all sorts of frankly trivial things that even a small company should have resolved in this timeframe. I've withheld my criticism of the company till now, but they have not lived up to that. I still have hope that they will pull it out as I do not believe they are operating out of bad intent. But they cannot continue in the lackadaisical manner they have been and be a real contender, even as a reseller. If I were enough of a gambler, I could do better. I have a lot of business experience as a manager in food service, which is WAY tougher than this.

And from my own side, I have dropped the ball on this. I can't say "it's not my fault", as it's a copout. I can say that I'm under an enormous amount of stress with things unrelated to this, and it wasn't as high a priority as I think a lot of you would have liked it to be. I didn't ask for it, but I did accept it.

Again, keep picking at me. I learn from it.

Edit: Noise level. It's pretty quiet. The camera/mic was two feet from the machine in the video. The fan runs constantly, but it's unobtrusive. I don't even notice it most of the time. I'd guess 5-6 db above ambient. That is a guess, I can't measure it.
3DX4D

Activity: 65
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 12:23:53 PM

Edit: Noise level. It's pretty quiet. The camera/mic was two feet from the machine in the video. The fan runs constantly, but it's unobtrusive. I don't even notice it most of the time. I'd guess 5-6 db above ambient. That is a guess, I can't measure it.

As trivial as the actual db rating is, if you have or know someone with a smart phone there are a bunch of free apps that will measure the sound level.
Biomech (OP)
Legendary

Anarchy is not chaos.

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 12:31:03 PM

As trivial as the actual db rating is, if you have or know someone with a smart phone there are a bunch of free apps that will measure the sound level.

I could measure it off the mic with a plugin for FLstudio, too. But it's wildly inaccurate. I used to have a proper meter, and I've never seen the software ones come even close. I'm a singer, so on that issue I'm actually less ignorant than on reviewing this damn miner Smiley I do have an old smartphone. It's pretty much shot, though. I use it as a web browser, cuz the mic and speakers are fubar.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: