Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 04:30:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Lending Subforum Intro & Scam Trends  (Read 64458 times)
Kluge (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 10:37:14 PM
Last edit: July 24, 2014, 02:42:48 AM by Kluge
Merited by Vod (10)

General good practices:
  • Lending used to only require some sort of "proof of reputation" (anything from a long post history, ID, or Web of Trust stats to a full credit report) from lendees. Due to an exceptionally high incidence of scamming, this is generally no longer the case. You generally MUST put up some form of collateral (usually some type of alternative cryptocurrency, like Litecoin or Quark). This depends heavily on the lender, and physical collateral may also be accepted (motorcycles, watches, PMs).
  • Please refrain from requesting unnecessary "confidence loans" (a loan you don't need, but want to take out simply to show you'll repay). This was an issue a year or so ago, where scammers would take out incrementally larger loans, pay maybe .1BTC in interest, then take off with a 1BTC loan. A history of so-called confidence loans inspire more hesitancy than confidence.
  • This subforum has an exceptionally high amount of trolling. Legitimate lendees are scared away or simply don't care to subject themselves to unjustified degradation. Skepticism is okay, but please try to be civil. Either way - if you request a loan, be prepared.
  • Almost all loans issued in this subforum would be at rates considered to be exploitative in most countries. We're talking about something like 5-15% monthly (there are some more favorable alternatives, such as seeking out the Islamic Bank of Bitcoin). Use short-term loans responsibly, do not use loans for naked market positions or otherwise attempt to arb, and you should only use short-term lending from strangers as an absolute last resort.

Scam trends:
  • There is an ongoing scam issue where "lenders" are saying they'll issue loans for collateral. The "lender" then takes the collateral and disappears. Prevent this by using reputable escrow providers or only dealing with lenders you trust. Keeping in mind that proving available funds isn't necessarily connected to whether or not a lender will steal collateral and disappear, you can also ask a lender asking for collateral to show he has the funds to lend you by signing a message with his private key (most BTC clients have a GUI allowing you verify messages, though they don't all use the same scheme to do this -- if a message fails to verify, you may wish to ask the signer to tell you which client and scheme he used so you can double-check using the same set-up he has ).

Please post new repeat scam tactics here. They will be added to the list.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
hostmaster

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2014, 02:11:37 PM
Last edit: February 11, 2014, 02:44:34 PM by hostmaster

It's very good post, i have seen people here scammed badly on lending. I cant goodly stress enough importance of being carefull!
yntro

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 08:27:39 PM

I need 0,02BTC loan but after reading this.. I don't think anyone will give me this ...

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
paysafecoin

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 07:08:27 PM

I need 0,02BTC loan but after reading this.. I don't think anyone will give me this ...

I will give you the loan =)
pekv2

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
May 12, 2014, 02:39:53 AM

General good practices:
  • Lending used to only require some sort of "proof of reputation" (anything from a long post history, ID, or Web of Trust stats to a full credit report) from lendees. Due to an exceptionally high incidence of scamming, this is generally no longer the case. You generally MUST put up some form of collateral (usually some type of alternative cryptocurrency, like Litecoin or Quark). This depends heavily on the lender, and physical collateral may also be accepted (motorcycles, watches, PMs).
  • Please refrain from requesting unnecessary "confidence loans" (a loan you don't need, but want to take out simply to show you'll repay). This was an issue a year or so ago, where scammers would take out incrementally larger loans, pay maybe .1BTC in interest, then take off with a 1BTC loan. A history of so-called confidence loans inspire more hesitancy than confidence.
  • This subforum has an exceptionally high amount of trolling. Legitimate lendees are scared away or simply don't care to subject themselves to unjustified degradation. Skepticism is okay, but please try to be civil. Either way - if you request a loan, be prepared.
  • Almost all loans issued in this subforum would be at rates considered to be exploitative in most countries. We're talking about something like 5-15% monthly (there are some more favorable alternatives, such as seeking out the Islamic Bank of Bitcoin). Use short-term loans responsibly, do not use loans for naked market positions or otherwise attempt to arb, and you should only use short-term lending from strangers as an absolute last resort.

Scam trends:
  • There is an ongoing scam issue where "lenders" are saying they'll issue loans for collateral. The "lender" then takes the collateral and disappears. Prevent this by using reputable escrow providers or only dealing with lenders you trust.

Please post new repeat scam tactics here. They will be added to the list.

Thanks, Kluge. I should have read this first prior to making my first loan thread. Specifically the bolded part. I am now prepared in my second made loan thread.
Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2014, 10:35:42 AM

Hello!
Can we trust donators (I didn't meant you.  Smiley ) ? I asked because they are donating btc to the forum, so I think they are good persons and also you are a member of this forum for a long time. So you might have seen everything going around here...

Kindly,
        Muhammed Zakhir

Justin00
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 08:01:26 AM

No you can not trust a donator. They might of donated 10BTC when BTC was $0.01 - $5 etc etc.
A lot of hero and donator members were the ones who pulled off the biggest scams. Do not trust any one until you have gone over them thoroughly.. even if they have a bit of good trust.... Perhaps if they have a lot of good trust you could trust them...

Justin00
Legendary

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 11:11:10 AM

After replying the to guy with "100BTC"...... I propose anyone lending money should sign their BTC addy proving they have the BTC.
It should be in OP.

paceta

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 11:13:35 AM

Thats a very good idea but how will OP prove it is really his wallet?

Maybe some trusted member should open some wallet and ask OP to deposit like 1-2 cent to the said wallet to proof it is him wallet and he have the coins that he whant to lend Smiley
Justin00
Legendary

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 01:05:05 PM

If they have 10BTC or any amount in their wallet on a certain address, if they sign a message using that address we can verify it belongs to them Smiley
You can test it out using your own wallet and sign messages etc.

Thats a very good idea but how will OP prove it is really his wallet?

Maybe some trusted member should open some wallet and ask OP to deposit like 1-2 cent to the said wallet to proof it is him wallet and he have the coins that he whant to lend Smiley

Kluge (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 02:43:44 AM

After replying the to guy with "100BTC"...... I propose anyone lending money should sign their BTC addy proving they have the BTC.
It should be in OP.
Kinda-sorta added.
vafelcz

Activity: 154

View Profile
December 06, 2014, 03:32:41 PM

I need 0,0025BTC loan but after reading this.. I don't think anyone will give me this ...

>> XOTIKA.tv <<    Adult cam site powered by cryptocurrency
██████████████████████████████████████████████████
Tip hot girls online with your Bitcoin We accept Bitcoin, Dogecoin and many more
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 2298

View Profile
January 11, 2015, 07:50:01 PM

There are some people who appear to be making very risky loans (even to people with negative trust) then end up getting repaid. I speculate that some lenders are lending money to their alts in order to build up trust of their alts so they can eventually borrow more significant money from someone else
rtserv

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 18, 2015, 01:08:35 PM

Can't you just restrict the IPs? I think there are people who are using many accounts from one IP at the moment. Buying and selling accounts is also helping scammers.
needFREElunch

Activity: 196

Hi

View Profile
January 31, 2015, 08:13:33 PM

I have noticed somewhat of a scam trend:

People will offer their domain/website as collateral while giving it outrageous valuations. The amount of the loan will of course be much less then what they claim it to be worth, while the actual value of the domain is closer to zero

xerbot_dev

Activity: 18

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2015, 10:40:27 AM

This subforum has an exceptionally high amount of trolling. Legitimate lendees are scared away or simply don't care to subject themselves to unjustified degradation. Skepticism is okay, but please try to be civil. Either way - if you request a loan, be prepared.

Heed this advice and stay away from this section altogether. You're better off selling something you own or make than asking for a loan here.

Source: I asked for a loan.  Lips sealed
leen93

Activity: 616
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 04, 2015, 06:18:45 PM

why don't we just ban newbies from posting here? it gets kinda annoying with all the scams
--Encrypted--
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1007

hee-ho.

View Profile
July 16, 2015, 12:57:43 PM

Hi

I need a loan of 1BTC how to get it

I am new on the community but have all the valid docs with regular income

Regards
Amit

make a thread/post requesting a loan and provide a collateral. not documents like bank statement or other information. but something on this list (under "What is considered collateral?") that is worth at least 1.1BTC, which you will have to hand over to the lender for assurance.
webdeveloper5050

Activity: 68

View Profile
July 17, 2015, 05:48:49 AM

still very hard to trust someone online.especially when you send bitcoin.
tlictdig

Activity: 17

View Profile
September 03, 2015, 11:25:34 AM

Hi,

As a noob here, can someone tell me how I can ask for a loan using domains as collateral?

Thanks
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: