Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 04:09:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: www.mybitcoin.com  (Read 1740 times)
hamburger (OP)

Activity: 241
Merit: 107

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2011, 06:31:57 PM

A GIFT TO THE COMMUNITY

After the claims have all been filed and dealt with we will be releasing the entire MyBitcoin processing engine into the public domain. Our only hope is that the community can improve and adapt the software to all sorts of new and interesting Bitcoin-related things.

Anyone know if this promise will be kept? Saw today that the ssl certificate has expired.

Datacoin : DHZ6H91fsDoBHbdqED3ysCJJ2TUh3zRMZD
Krugercoin : Yz3A9sTMp2yh5QLuAL8YQyvS5PdjHRHkkf

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
nemo

Activity: 500
Merit: 253

View Profile
September 19, 2011, 07:05:32 PM

I'm not expecting them to, and if they do release it nobody would use it anyway.
Binford 6100

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

PGP OTC WOT: EB7FCE3D

View Profile
September 19, 2011, 07:09:16 PM

they did not even bother to keep up refunding claims like two weeks into the scandal.
why to release code?

I was looking forward to it, still waiting.

You can't build a reputation on what you are going to do.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2011, 07:17:59 PM

I think that from here forward no company should be allowed to store Bitcoin, or have an online wallet service, without us first knowing full well who we are dealing with.
Binford 6100

View Profile
September 19, 2011, 07:28:27 PM

otoh it was the perfect laundry while it worked. tor i2p friendly, worked on a tiny smartphone display, with 2+ accounts you clear transfers internally and get coins back from an account that cannot be linked to the source of income. i'd like the source of that.

wolftaur

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 19, 2011, 07:29:30 PM

I think that from here forward no company should be allowed to store Bitcoin, or have an online wallet service, without us first knowing full well who we are dealing with.

Knowing who we're dealing with doesn't seem to help. Look how many idiots there still are supporting Bruce for an example.

"MOOOOOOOM! SOME MYTHICAL WOLFBEAST GUY IS MAKING FUN OF ME ON THE INTERNET!!!!"
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2011, 07:57:11 PM

I think, required or not, people have learned their lesson, and anyone wishing to continue competing in this field will self-disclose that information anyway. Though in the future, perhaps "Public Service Announcements™" may be necessary.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2011, 08:05:20 PM

Knowing who we're dealing with doesn't seem to help. Look how many idiots there still are supporting Bruce for an example.

I think, required or not, people have learned their lesson, and anyone wishing to continue competing in this field will self-disclose that information anyway. Though in the future, perhaps "Public Service Announcements™" may be necessary.

What I've learned about BW and EG is that they've been doing their online shows prior to getting introduced to Bitcoin. If memory serves me correctly, they even stated that they seen an opportunity with Bitcoin. It provided them fodder for a whole series of shows, if nothing else. Hell, if during the latter part of 2010 they saw something new like Pet Rocks as a profitable fad, they would have connected with that community and started their shows around it. We would have seen petrockme.com, and even mypetrock.com advertise on OnlyOneTV. With their charm (you must admit they're charming), they could have easily gotten one of their favorite restaurants to accept Pet Rocks for payment. A major announcement at the Pet Rock Expo 2011 would have been that there's going to be a great Get Your Rocks off at Pattaya next year, along with free beer on the Pet Rock Cruise. Or, trade your Pet Rocks at Mt.Rocks or TradeRocks.

I've seen many of Bruce's shows, and I have to admit that he still stumbles on what Bitcoin is. Even with the basic info, he first states I'm not sure what this is, but perhaps you can enlighten me by answering this question (many examples). I'm sure he would have gotten the basic facts incorrect on Pet Rocks if the shows were centered around such an animal.
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2011, 08:40:54 PM

Hell, if during the latter part of 2010 they saw something new like Pet Rocks as a profitable fad, they would have connected with that community and started their shows around it. We would have seen petrockme.com, and even mypetrock.com advertise on OnlyOneTV.

That's already somewhat evident from their OnlyOneTV network's other shows, peddling it seems everything from gold to holistic medicine/methods (disclaimer: have not watched other shows besides Android Invasion, so making an ass-u-mption based on show titles). Pet Rocks would simply get their own show.

I've seen many of Bruce's shows, and I have to admit that he still stumbles on what Bitcoin is. Even with the basic info, he first states I'm not sure what this is, but perhaps you can enlighten me by answering this question (many examples).

On a forum (and interwebs) full of self-taught self-professed "experts" who's sole job seems to be to tell everyone else "you're wrong, this is how it is," (which I am at times guilty of as well) I actually find it somewhat refreshing to have someone willingly admit that they don't know the details, and defer the question to the experts (and take the time to actually find the experts and bring them to a forum). Though Bruce does interrupt and plug in his own opinions/comments at times.
This is kinda why I still support his show. Con man or not, people with such charm, drive, and gift of gab are extremely rare. I'm very certain that an almost daily Bitcoin show by THE expert Gavin Andersen would put everyone to sleep after the first 3 minutes, and only last 5 minutes, with Gavin running out of things to say (no offense intended btw).
nhodges

Activity: 322
Merit: 251

View Profile
September 19, 2011, 08:52:42 PM

Hell, if during the latter part of 2010 they saw something new like Pet Rocks as a profitable fad, they would have connected with that community and started their shows around it. We would have seen petrockme.com, and even mypetrock.com advertise on OnlyOneTV.

That's already somewhat evident from their OnlyOneTV network's other shows, peddling it seems everything from gold to holistic medicine/methods (disclaimer: have not watched other shows besides Android Invasion, so making an ass-u-mption based on show titles). Pet Rocks would simply get their own show.

I've seen many of Bruce's shows, and I have to admit that he still stumbles on what Bitcoin is. Even with the basic info, he first states I'm not sure what this is, but perhaps you can enlighten me by answering this question (many examples).

On a forum (and interwebs) full of self-taught self-professed "experts" who's sole job seems to be to tell everyone else "you're wrong, this is how it is," (which I am at times guilty of as well) I actually find it somewhat refreshing to have someone willingly admit that they don't know the details, and defer the question to the experts (and take the time to actually find the experts and bring them to a forum). Though Bruce does interrupt and plug in his own opinions/comments at times.
This is kinda why I still support his show. Con man or not, people with such charm, drive, and gift of gab are extremely rare. I'm very certain that an almost daily Bitcoin show by THE expert Gavin Andersen would put everyone to sleep after the first 3 minutes, and only last 5 minutes, with Gavin running out of things to say (no offense intended btw).

Technical Leads from open source projects aren't the kinds of people that host talk shows. Media personalities are, and BW is not one of those. He constantly stutters during live shows, edited shows are badly so, and does not even have the ability to roll with punches. When they first got their new equipment, the WHOLE first live show was Bruce going "oh my god, so sorry, we have never used this equipment before, sorry, can't hear me? can you hear me now? so sorry, oh my god." which made me never watch the show again.

Binford 6100

View Profile
September 19, 2011, 09:03:03 PM

I'm very certain that an almost daily Bitcoin show by THE expert Gavin Andersen would put everyone to sleep after the first 3 minutes, and only last 5 minutes, with Gavin running out of things to say (no offense intended btw).

what would you talk about daily from the point of view of a Gavin-like expert? put on repeat the main four topics: what is blockchain, how public key encryption works, p2p technology, proof of work? I mean without getting solid understanding of those elements one have no other option than admitting "not knowing the details"
when users master basics, we can continue with transactions, broadcasting, double spending, wallet maintenance etc.

Gavin did a beautiful speech earlier this year, google Amherst Ignite & making money.
He's good, really good. There's just not enough stuff to talk about daily (ok, maybe for a 3 days conference)

Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2011, 09:03:08 PM
Last edit: September 20, 2011, 12:42:25 PM by Rassah

Technical Leads from open source projects aren't the kinds of people that host talk shows. Media personalities are, and BW is not one of those.
Agreed. Just means that the barrier to entry for a competitor is very small right now, if (when) someone else decides to step up and make their own show .

When they first got their new equipment, the WHOLE first live show was Bruce going "oh my god, so sorry, we have never used this equipment before, sorry, can't hear me? can you hear me now? so sorry, oh my god." which made me never watch the show again.

I thought that was hilarious. They couldn't figure out how to disable the camera heads-up display, the face finding feature kept locking in and trying to follow Manny's face, and the live chat kept making jet-fighter lock on and missle firing noises XD It's fun watching an amateur show struggle with stupid/silly issues like that (well, for me, anyway).
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: