Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 06:04:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Send to IP, why hasnt anyone taken advantage of this yet?  (Read 1174 times)
joulesbeef (OP)

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

moOo

View Profile
September 06, 2011, 06:02:59 PM

read up here..

Ok in it;s current form it is prone to exploit and not really that handy. and yeah freicoin(sp?) is doing something like it, but it really should be in the client.

What I would like to see, what a lot of people would like to see, is the ability to take advantage of easy to remember names, like provided by DNS, in sending transactions.

I dont want to tell my bud on the streets, yeah when you get home(he doesnt have a smart phone) send me coins at 1-C-o-w-J-8-L-R-3-o-b-Y-X-Z-r-3-x-U-M-B-4-b-F-s-q-g-x-D-c-1-M-n-S-B   ok you wrote all that down and make sure you get the cases right.

I'd rather say, send me 10btc to joulesbeef.com and I am quite sure stores would rather say, send coins to newegg.com and not some long convoluted addy that no one will ever remember.

yeah smart phones help a little but i want a DNS addy associated with my wallets.

Yeah i could post this in the btc development area but they seem as open to ideas as solidcoin. SO I am begging the alternate coin creators.. make me something more user friendly, something grandma friendly.

mooo for rent

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
NothinG

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 06, 2011, 06:03:50 PM

http://firstbits.com/

Not IP based, but easy to remember.

MaGNeT
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1002

Waves | 3PHMaGNeTJfqFfD4xuctgKdoxLX188QM8na

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2011, 06:31:21 PM

read up here..

Ok in it;s current form it is prone to exploit and not really that handy. and yeah freicoin(sp?) is doing something like it, but it really should be in the client.

What I would like to see, what a lot of people would like to see, is the ability to take advantage of easy to remember names, like provided by DNS, in sending transactions.

I dont want to tell my bud on the streets, yeah when you get home(he doesnt have a smart phone) send me coins at 1-C-o-w-J-8-L-R-3-o-b-Y-X-Z-r-3-x-U-M-B-4-b-F-s-q-g-x-D-c-1-M-n-S-B   ok you wrote all that down and make sure you get the cases right.

I'd rather say, send me 10btc to joulesbeef.com and I am quite sure stores would rather say, send coins to newegg.com and not some long convoluted addy that no one will ever remember.

yeah smart phones help a little but i want a DNS addy associated with my wallets.

Yeah i could post this in the btc development area but they seem as open to ideas as solidcoin. SO I am begging the alternate coin creators.. make me something more user friendly, something grandma friendly.

Maybe Namecoins could be used to pay with Bitcoins Tongue
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2011, 06:39:26 PM

Maybe Namecoins could be used to pay with Bitcoins Tongue
Would be nice.

They'd have to abandon the whacky idea of the implementation as a secondary currency though, and restrict their operation to providing a dns infrastructure. This way the merged blockchain could even be implemented into the official bitcoin client itself.
I'll bet this will happen sooner or later.
Artamir

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 06, 2011, 06:44:19 PM

The basic intention of easy to remember is good, but at moment there is one thing missing.

If you give 3 people the same "paytome.coin" address, how will you know who was sending the transaction?

Now think of a store, where everyone sends to "storename.coin", with a lot of customers the storename has no idea whom to attach the transaction received to.

You will need to do something like "paytome.coin" + "purpose" where the purpose will have to have the ability and in case of shops need to be unique, what will lead again to difficult, hard to remember combinations of letters/numbers.
In case you just think of "hey can you send me some btc" you are right, easy to remember send to address is great. It think for bigger bussines its not enough.
dserrano5
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1029

View Profile
September 06, 2011, 07:23:04 PM
Last edit: September 07, 2011, 09:18:59 AM by an0therlr3

You will need to do something like "paytome.coin" + "purpose" where the purpose will have to have the ability and in case of shops need to be unique, what will lead again to difficult, hard to remember combinations of letters/numbers.

I believe that IP payments transactions can have a comment attached to it.
joulesbeef (OP)

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

moOo

View Profile
September 06, 2011, 08:54:05 PM

they can have a comment and actually right now in it's current form, it trades addresses.but right now in it;s current form, it isnt where I would like it to be.

I find it odd you would think that it wouldnt work, when we have paypal where your addy is basically your email addy. Somehow I am still able to figure out where the payments come from and whom to credit and whom to yell at for not sending yet.

mooo for rent
mtbitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 876
Merit: 1000

Etherscan.io

View Profile
September 07, 2011, 05:44:03 PM

As an alternate suggestion, we can use DNS txt records tied to a domain name. Similiar to sender identification systems like OpenSPF. The client can be built to lookup the DNS Text records of the domain name, search for the corresponding entries and send to this address. This approach would also eliminate any kind of centralized lookup system like first bits (I have nothing against this service but merely used as an example) and domain administrators would have individual control of the their entries an example entry would look something like this:

"c=btc 1btcaddressXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX"
"c=slc s1btcaddressXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX"
etc...

Using this approach you could tell someone to send you a payment at mydomain.com. And if it would be possible to attach comments to transactions then they could be differentiated. In addition its also possible to rotate the addresses every X days by changing the TXT records for additional privacy

cheers

EtherScan::Ethereum Block Explorer | BlockScan::Coming Soon
Sekioh

Activity: 181
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 07, 2011, 07:46:13 PM

Could we not just put a host record on DNS table?

I have a CPanel and I point homeserver.MYSITE.com > static IP address and I point server.MYSITE.com > dyndns subdomain which inherantly will always point to my computer for hosting games and stuff. Can we not point an empty domain name to say the bitcoind or a proxy script and have bitcoind respond with a real bitcoin address?

bitcoin.newegg.com ::
Code:
<?php
$bitcoin_addr 
bitcoind->newaddr();
echo 
$bitcoin_addr;
?>

can then even have it log to a database the outgoing address matched to incoming address with the clients payment, like these lotto's are doing to accounts (generate random address and those payments are tied to that account). But this could be the most simple form, just spit out an address, then client will take PAY_TO bitcoin.domain.com and get back a public key, then the transaction can be signed like normal and paid like normal but people only need to remember the domain name.

<OPEN MONEY | Powering Blockchain Acceptance [ICO]
███████████████    ▬▬▬▬▬▬ Blockchain Meets Mainstream! ▬▬▬▬▬▬    ███████████████
Whitepaper  ●  Slack  ●  Facebook  ●  Twitter  ●  Reddit  ●  Telegram>
EskimoBob
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

Quality Printing Services by Federal Reserve Bank

View Profile
September 08, 2011, 12:26:02 PM

Joules, good idea.  if you do not mind, let me simplify that for my self a bit. 

Forget IP etc  92.122.212.35 is as bad as 1-C-o-w-J-8-L-R-3-o-b-Y-X-Z-r-3-x-U-M-B-4-b-F-s-q-g-x-D-c-1-M-n-S-B

How about something like tinyurlcoin™ plug-in for your plug-in enabled bitcoin client ?

Lets say you generate a nice short name for your account. Now you are going to have a "If you give 3 people the same "paytome.coin" address, how will you know who was sending the transaction?"
Actually you do no have that problem if you let the system accept a comment like name to your tinycoin™ address.

Lets say I take 1HUwrdXZNHFE...... , run it trough my tinycoin plugin, I just installed to my plugin enabled *coin client and  I am ready to give you a short address.
Now I have a nice address like EskimoBob and all the transfers to EskimoBob will end up in my wallet.

Lets go back to "...how will you know who was sending the transaction"
Let me ask this. Can this "service" be somehow connected to your wallet and not just one address in your wallet? If yes, lets move one.
Ideas is simple: if you send *coin to  EskimoBob::joules, my tinycoin plug-in converts that into a new address in my wallet with a comment "joules".
This is one time process and next time, when Joulesbeef (or whom ever I give EskimoBob::joules address) sends me some coin, it will be will be deposited to the address created in the previous step.

So, we have a address format: TINYCOIN_ADDRESS::ADRESS_RELATED_NAME_OR_ID::"FREE TEXT COMMENT" -> EskimoBob::joules::"this is a really good idea" ---> Send some coin to 1HUwrdXZNHFEmgxbUYirErfPZnZ7jxYjBA with comment joules::"this is a really good idea"

While reading what I wrote, use the most friendliest and relaxing voice in your head.
BTW, Things in BTC bubble universes are getting ugly....
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: