Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 04:09:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Got to mine most profitable coin  (Read 1056 times)
film2240 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

Freelance videographer

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2014, 05:59:32 PM

I know it's been over a year since I last mined my alt coins for cash but since the need has now arrived (again) and the old PC (one before that nice spec Core i7 PC) has now be ressurected with the sole purpose of running everything on the GPU for mining alt chains.

I've seen a few good looking alt coins to mine LTC,Dogecoin and a few others.Can someone advise me how to get setup for mining DogeCoin/other alt coins as the HD6950 was put out of retirement recently (as that's the only card I can fit into the old PC's mobo,it only has one slot PCI-E x16 and PCI-E x1 slot-help me tap into it with the extenders I've heard about)

In the mid term,I plan to sell off all remaining parts,then build a really cheap PC (out of 2nd hand budget parts like,CPU,mobo,RAM,SSD and GPU) so that I can gain a sustainable income to finance one of my online businesses plus to build enough funds for the big more (sell off all parts with fair to good value,then reinvest in dirt cheap parts while keeping the profits from the sales t keep things going)

How can I mine LTC,DogeCoin (easiest solution preferred none of this P2P pool business as it never worked for me) and any other alt coins as they come up?

Thanks Smiley

[This signature is available for rent.BTC/ETH/LTC or £50 equivalent a month]

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
delovan

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 06:57:01 PM

There are more and more multipools running today. Middlecoin.com, Multipool.us, hashco.ws...

Or you can build your own system if you know how to develop. I'm currently developping mine, and it runs smoothly.
film2240 (OP)
Legendary

Freelance videographer

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2014, 07:58:27 PM

There are more and more multipools running today. Middlecoin.com, Multipool.us, hashco.ws...

Or you can build your own system if you know how to develop. I'm currently developping mine, and it runs smoothly.

Are any of those pools trustworthy?As I've heard a lot about some pools running off with your earnings.I wonder if any of the pools auto convert other coins into BTC like Ozcoin did with me when I was mining BTC/NMC due to the merged mining tech 3 years ago? Thanks. Smiley

kalus

Activity: 420
Merit: 263

let's make a deal.

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 08:19:36 PM

middlecoin and multipool are paying out.   (for now dun dun dun)

hashcows seems honest but they got hacked in dec. and haven't been up and running since.  

those have been around the 'longest' (as 'long' goes for cryptos).  lots of other me-too switching pools popping up now.  if you go with large hash rates you should gain herd immunity. 

DC2ngEGbd1ZUKyj8aSzrP1W5TXs5WmPuiR wow need noms
film2240 (OP)
Legendary

Freelance videographer

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2014, 08:29:20 PM

Trying middlecoin but I don't know how to make it work for reaper on the ressurected PC and Asteroid on my Mac?What web address and port to use as I don't know what stratum means or if it affects my ability to mine on there?

Would appreciate the help so I can have a self sufficient mining operations again?Thanks Smiley

kalus

let's make a deal.

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 08:37:27 PM

Trying middlecoin but I don't know how to make it work for reaper on the ressurected PC and Asteroid on my Mac?What web address and port to use as I don't know what stratum means or if it affects my ability to mine on there?

Would appreicate the help so I can have a self sufficient mining operations again?Thanks Smiley

stratum is a proxy service to mine with these new fangled pools.  

I don't use reaper, but here is a thingy about adding stratum proxy to reaper.

https://litecointalk.org/index.php?topic=1403.0

asteroid  i believe is frontend for minerd which does not support stratum at all.

i personally use cgminer on my entire farm.  it has conf. or command line switches, whatever you prefer.  recommend cgminer before 3.7 as they removed scrypt support @ 3.8.  i use a mix of 2.11.4, 3.4 and 3.6.  if my rigs are stable, i don't screw with 'em!

the webaddress is middlecoin.com:3333 or midlecoin.com:8080  the rest is on the page or in the FAQ.  also, middlecoin has a thread in the announcements subforum.

film2240 (OP)
Legendary

Freelance videographer

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2014, 09:31:59 PM

Would appreicate the help so I can have a self sufficient mining operations again?Thanks Smiley

stratum is a proxy service to mine with these new fangled pools. 

I don't use reaper, but here is a thingy about adding stratum proxy to reaper.

https://litecointalk.org/index.php?topic=1403.0

asteroid  i believe is frontend for minerd which does not support stratum at all.

i personally use cgminer on my entire farm.  it has conf. or command line switches, whatever you prefer.  recommend cgminer before 3.7 as they removed scrypt support @ 3.8.  i use a mix of 2.11.4, 3.4 and 3.6.  if my rigs are stable, i don't screw with 'em!

the webaddress is middlecoin.com:3333 or midlecoin.com:8080  the rest is on the page or in the FAQ.  also, middlecoin has a thread in the announcements subforum.

Starting to think that running the current miners I have will only cost me time that I don't have much of so will make use of cgminer.Do you know if it's PC only or can this run on the mac too?As it'd be nice to get both systems running with the same software,no fuss,more revenue.

Asteroid was good for a while but I don't like it's slow startup time (since my MacBook Pro with Retina laptop has two GPUS which are both able to mine since the haswell iGPU and the Nvidia GPU can both run OpenCL).

If there's a mining client based on cgminer (as it supports stratum without fuss) with a GUI that works on the PC and Mac,it'll be great for me as my Macs 2 GPUs can do well with very low difficulty currencies (when the pool auto switches to them) too.

Thanks for the help.

kalus

let's make a deal.

View Profile
January 09, 2014, 12:48:55 AM

Starting to think that running the current miners I have will only cost me time that I don't have much of so will make use of cgminer.Do you know if it's PC only or can this run on the mac too?As it'd be nice to get both systems running with the same software,no fuss,more revenue.

Asteroid was good for a while but I don't like it's slow startup time (since my MacBook Pro with Retina laptop has two GPUS which are both able to mine since the haswell iGPU and the Nvidia GPU can both run OpenCL).

If there's a mining client based on cgminer (as it supports stratum without fuss) with a GUI that works on the PC and Mac,it'll be great for me as my Macs 2 GPUs can do well with very low difficulty currencies (when the pool auto switches to them) too.

Thanks for the help.
there is a cgminer compiled for mac; just make sure it supports the --scrypt command still (the newest cgminer versions can no longer do scrypt.  the cgminer conf can be used for mac or win, so that will save you some time if you have same cards in different systems.  

i was unable to successfully get cgminer working for my macs (low end video cards, mostly 6850s etc).  however, don't let that stop you from trying; i may have had bad luck or broken permissions or something.  I didn't end up trying too hard, so went directly to cobbling windows systems together for the dedicated miners.  I am on windows now, but am picking at the linux based BAMT to eventually upgrade my 3 card systems into 5 or 6 card miners (win7 has a max support of 4 cards).  

definitely consider not mining on the macbook pro; the fan cannot keep up with the heat that comes out of scrypt hashing.  i do know laptops that have overheated quickly from mining.  the mac pro is better for heat removal; plus if you have a mac pro, you're already accustomed to the jet-aircraft intake noise!

try guiminer for windows; it has the same settings and from what people have been reporting on the litecoin hardware comparison chart, there doesn't seem to be a difference in reported hash rates from guiminer vs. cgminer.  

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: