Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 10:01:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [Preview] StrongCoin Online Paper Wallets  (Read 1696 times)
dogisland (OP)

Activity: 262
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 01, 2011, 09:45:00 AM
Last edit: September 05, 2011, 01:34:55 PM by dogisland

** N.B. Preview only, please don't store coins at addresses you generate **

The StrongCoin online wallet service is nearing then end of initial development. http://strongcoin.com

I've written a blog article on generating coins from a book cipher http://strongcoin.com/blog/using_a_book_cipher_to_generate_bitcoin_addresses which may be of interest.

We've now added the ability to generate bitcoin addresses from a sentence as well as a PDF download (Paper wallet) that gives you a backup of any addresses you create in StrongCoin.

This is only meant as a preview and to get feedback. I'm currently looking at the algorithm used to encrypt the private key on the client side as Ideally I'd like to use an algorithm that is compatible with command line tools for decryption.

So I'm happy to say we've progressed well towards our main goals which are...

1. Private key backup. Never have to worry about losing a wallet.dat file.
2. No naked private keys stored on our server.
2. Keypair generation within the browser and private keys encrypted before transmission.
3. The ability to use your Bitcoin keypairs independant of our service via the paper wallet.

We're currently working hard on the payments section.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Herbert

Activity: 488
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2011, 10:00:17 PM

Just created an account, but now it's "temporarily unavailable". Hope I didn't break it Wink

www.bitcoinmonitor.net - Free payment notification via email, newsfeed, xpmm/jabber, url callback and full API access!
Send SMS with www.txt4coins.net! No registration, pay-per-use, full API access, bulk messages - All inclusive!
Colargol

Activity: 85
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 01, 2011, 10:13:31 PM

Paper wallet? Intriguing.

Oh shit!

Please donate a few pennies to the singing and dancing bear:
1KUsZU8GkUAQJH5ryqSFtTJGgFtqJnsedE
dogisland (OP)

View Profile
September 02, 2011, 03:19:39 PM

Just created an account, but now it's "temporarily unavailable". Hope I didn't break it Wink

Sorry about that, I had a DNS issue. It's all fine now.
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
September 02, 2011, 03:24:48 PM

This is great!

For the maximum security, your generator page ought to tell people that they should feel free to UNPLUG themselves from the internet before entering any passphrases, generating, or printing any paper bitcoin wallets, and to close their browser before reconnecting.  This way they can visualize the air gap without needing to trust that the generation is purely client-side.  Finally, passphrase entry should be possible on an on-screen keyboard to prevent key logging.

Way to go!

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
ysoliman

Activity: 85
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 02, 2011, 04:00:00 PM

Signed up, great idea but one problem with the paper wallet:

We're sorry, but something went wrong.
We've been notified about this issue and we'll take a look at it shortly.

Please could you try to fix this as soon as possible?

YSoliman
dogisland (OP)

View Profile
September 05, 2011, 01:32:02 PM

Signed up, great idea but one problem with the paper wallet:

We're sorry, but something went wrong.
We've been notified about this issue and we'll take a look at it shortly.

Please could you try to fix this as soon as possible?

YSoliman

It's now fixed. Thanks for the feedback.
dogisland (OP)

View Profile
September 05, 2011, 01:34:10 PM

This is great!

For the maximum security, your generator page ought to tell people that they should feel free to UNPLUG themselves from the internet before entering any passphrases, generating, or printing any paper bitcoin wallets, and to close their browser before reconnecting.  This way they can visualize the air gap without needing to trust that the generation is purely client-side.  Finally, passphrase entry should be possible on an on-screen keyboard to prevent key logging.

Way to go!

That's a great idea casascius thanks. There already is an on-screen keyboard, take a look at the keyboard icon next to the passphrase field. However I need to make this cleaer too.

I'll be adding a private key import feature which will allow people to make payments. This will be useful for your paper wallet customers.
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
September 05, 2011, 06:24:44 PM

Fortunately, the real motivation behind Casascius Paper Wallets was to seed the purpose of it into the Bitcoin community so that people would recognize the value of them, and someone like you to come along and provide a better way to generate them.

I will be bringing Casascius Physical Bitcoins to the market for the same reason.  I will have them tomorrow (Tuesday September 6) and ready to photograph.  Physical Bitcoins also work sort of the same way as paper wallets, except that there is a different format for the private key.  See on Bitcoin wiki: Mini private key format.  It's a 22 character format for a private key rather than 51, and fits better in a coin.  If you make a paper wallet redeemer, "pretty please" consider making it compatible with the mini format as well (it's simple).

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
dogisland (OP)

View Profile
September 05, 2011, 07:34:21 PM

If you make a paper wallet redeemer, "pretty please" consider making it compatible with the mini format as well (it's simple).

Yes I'll do that.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
October 04, 2011, 06:07:24 PM

Will this be getting an SSL-enabled host?
  e.g., https://StrongCoin.com ?

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █