Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 04:50:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How to deal with hack  (Read 1833 times)
btcgoods (OP)

Activity: 103
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 08:52:27 AM

You should consider keeping your important (e.g. bitcoin/litecoin/namecoin/etc) wallets on one virtual machine, and running new/shady alts in another.  I'm actually surprised more people don't do this, as it would prevent 99% of the theft incidents I've seen.

Never use either of those virtual machines to browse the web or do anything else outside of working with those wallets.  Never install any software that you don't absolutely need on them.

And my dumb ass have VMs and I'm not doing this.

This is great advice, thanks Smiley  
No problem.  Be sure to back up these VMs regularly as well.  It might save you a lot of trouble some day, and creating a backup of a virtual machine is as easy as it gets.

What's a good VM to use and where do you get a free win install for VM's? I remember doing it a while back and there was a free ISO given by Microsoft, but not quite sure.
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
CatCoin

Activity: 38
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 08:55:23 AM

Posted before finishing my thought process...

VMWare and VirtualBox both offer snapshot capability.  Personally, I create at least 1 snapshot each day, and keep a full backup of the VMs on a set of external drives that I rotate out between home and work (create backup, bring drive 1 to work, take drive 2 home, etc...).

Remember that you're basically carrying your bank account around now, and every time you browse the web or install something on the same machine as a wallet, you're trusting someone else to be left alone in your vault.
CatCoin

Activity: 38
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 08:57:22 AM

You should consider keeping your important (e.g. bitcoin/litecoin/namecoin/etc) wallets on one virtual machine, and running new/shady alts in another.  I'm actually surprised more people don't do this, as it would prevent 99% of the theft incidents I've seen.

Never use either of those virtual machines to browse the web or do anything else outside of working with those wallets.  Never install any software that you don't absolutely need on them.

And my dumb ass have VMs and I'm not doing this.

This is great advice, thanks Smiley  
No problem.  Be sure to back up these VMs regularly as well.  It might save you a lot of trouble some day, and creating a backup of a virtual machine is as easy as it gets.

What's a good VM to use and where do you get a free win install for VM's? I remember doing it a while back and there was a free ISO given by Microsoft, but not quite sure.
I'd suggest running Ubuntu rather than Windows on the VMs.  I'd suggest Debian or some other Linux distro, but I'm making the assumption since you're looking for a windows VM that you aren't too familiar with Linux.
empoweoqwj

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 10:49:01 AM

Free advice: Don't run Windows - the most insecure OS in the history of OS's
davida

Activity: 585
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 11:17:13 AM

Isn't this just because it is the most popular.. Therefore most viruses will be targeting it?
prezbo

Activity: 430
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 11:27:55 AM

This is what a lot of people would like to think, but in the end it's usually human stupidity not the os's fault. A keylogger isn't installed through an exploit in the system, it's you who install it.
empoweoqwj

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 12:12:37 PM

Isn't this just because it is the most popular.. Therefore most viruses will be targeting it?

Absolutely. And the best reason not to run it. Probability.
rext

Activity: 378
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 12:26:25 PM

yea it's pretty easy to install a keylogger then install a process id hider to hide the keylogger.
empoweoqwj

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 12:27:43 PM

yea it's pretty easy to install a keylogger then install a process id hider to hide the keylogger.

On Windows sure. 99% of keyloggers run on Windows OS.
Nikinger

Activity: 141

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 12:39:56 PM

If you store remarkable amounts, use at least a dedicated OS which cannot be tampered from your all-day OS. For really huge amounts use a second offline computer.

1EwKrY5Bn3T47r4tYqSv6mMQkUyu7hZckV
rext

Activity: 378

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 12:52:52 PM

or you could transfer them to your wallet on 2nd hard disk for the sole purpose of storing your bitcoins then remove it from the network.
empoweoqwj

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 01:34:46 PM

If you store remarkable amounts, use at least a dedicated OS which cannot be tampered from your all-day OS. For really huge amounts use a second offline computer.

Any OS can be "tampered" with. Store large amounts offline, on a computer never connected to the Net.
galtbit

Activity: 231

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 01:36:49 PM

Can an online wallet be hacked if you are using Google Authenticator?
empoweoqwj

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 01:39:13 PM

Can an online wallet be hacked if you are using Google Authenticator?

Yes, if the hacker is "internal"
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: