Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:13:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Tomorrow I want to hide a wallet.dat somewhere in Western NC.  (Read 1227 times)
Bitcoin Swami (OP)

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 02, 2011, 04:07:23 AM

I'd like to do some kind of bitcoin treasure hunt and I will go scope out a place tomorrow.  I will hide a zip drive and a couple cd's with a wallet.dat with some bitcoins on it.  I will then give updates with maps and a clue every few days on my website that isn't up yet. (bitcointreasurehunt.com)  I think something like this can bring alot of attention to bitcoin even from the average joe, especially if the amount got very high.  I'd love the community and bitcoin companies to add to the treasure whenever they wish.  People can monitor how much is on it by just looking at the block explorer.  There are some problems though.

1. You would have to trust me, which is hard to do these days on the forums.  Who's to say I just wont walk away with the wallet.dat when the bounty gets too high?  I do have a mining asset on the glbse and it would not be in my best interest to have another bitcoin scandal go down.  I believe in bitcoin and the glbse and want to see them both succeed.  The reason that I have a few grand worth of mining gear at my house (among other things) is a reason I'd like to remain semi-anonymous.

2. What if the person that finds it wishes to remain anonymous and one day everyone checks the block explorer and its empty.  The first place people would look would be me.

Should I encrypt the wallet.dat and make the person show the community proof that they found it?  Then I give them the password? 

I'd love to hear some suggestions to make it legit.  If its too much trouble I'll just do it myself for fun.

Thanks
Bitcoin Swami.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
September 02, 2011, 04:20:49 AM

Sounds cool! But a zip drive?!   Grin 

I think if you want this to be a good publicity driver, then the website needs to be very nice. Like a fun pirate treasure map. It needs to look really slick, and the treasure needs to be worth at least $1,000. You should encrypt the wallet, and then if a contestant finds it, he can simply send a photo of himself holding the disc (using some visual proof) and then he's declared winner and you send him the password.

Also... does anyone live in Western NC? =)

Bitcoin Swami (OP)

View Profile
September 02, 2011, 04:39:31 AM

Yes there are people in WNC, lots of em.  I wish I could go anywhere in the world and do it but I have miners to tend to and can't stray too far from them.  I meant a flash drive, I could triple bag it and seal it in an airtight container.  The CD would be backup.  I'm not that website savvy I planned on just doing a blog with google maps.  Maybe I should think bigger.  Or maybe I will start small with a test run.
JeffK

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

I never hashed for this...

View Profile
September 02, 2011, 04:44:52 AM

This would work better if you posted it on geocaching forums or something. These people live for this kind of stuff. You don't even have to try selling Bitcoins to them first, just tell them there is something hidden out there and they will try and figure out what it is after they find it
Bitcoin Swami (OP)

View Profile
September 02, 2011, 04:50:22 AM

This would work better if you posted it on geocaching forums or something. These people live for this kind of stuff. You don't even have to try selling Bitcoins to them first, just tell them there is something hidden out there and they will try and figure out what it is after they find it

Thats a good idea, I'll look into it.  Bitcoins are a great geocache item because value can be added to it.

The_Duke

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

Lead Core BitKitty Developer

View Profile
September 02, 2011, 04:55:57 AM

Wow, this is a very cool idea, love it!

This could indeed generate some media attention, so make sure the website is really nice. Another idea is that you can make a bit of money on it as well by making it a series of "adventures". The first hunt would be for free, joining the series would cost a small amount.
Think of the Isis adventure, the puzzleball/pyramid thing.

NOT a member of the so called ''Bitcoin Foundation''. Choose Independence!

Donate to the BitKitty Foundation instead! -> 1Fd4yLneGmxRHnPi6WCMC2hAMzaWvDePF9 <-
indicasteve

Activity: 140

View Profile WWW
September 02, 2011, 05:25:56 AM

Yea...I like the geocaching thing too.

I accidentally found a geocache 2 months ago.  I was sitting at my fav spot down by the train tracks having a smoke and I saw this coffee can hiding behind a rock.  I opened it up and it was someone's geocache.

It had a pencil and a little book you could sign if you found it.  In the little book, you could write down your name, what you took from the can, and what you left in the can.  I didn't have a lot on me at the time, so I left a pack of tic-tacs in the can.  Smiley

But, I think that leaving a flash drive with some BTC and instructions would be a very cool idea.  Posting on the geocache website would defiantly bring a new audience to bitcoins.  Leave your email address in case the finder needs help understanding what a bitcoin is or if they need help importing the wallet file.

Dam...I might even do this myself!  but, I need to get a handheld GPS unit first I guess.

Art Express!  Native American Art, Crafts and Weapons!  coingig.com/ArtExpress
NothinG

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 02, 2011, 05:27:49 AM

Me and another user on this forum had this idea first.
Just...never implemented it.

Bitcoin Swami (OP)

View Profile
September 02, 2011, 05:30:03 AM

I posted the same kind of idea in june but noone responded. lol.
NothinG

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 02, 2011, 05:35:53 AM

I posted the same kind of idea in june but noone responded. lol.
I'll drop you a PM with our dead-site. Tongue

Jessica

Activity: 174

View Profile
September 02, 2011, 09:21:09 AM

Don't password protect it, it takes all the fun out of not knowing about the challenge and finding the drive. Find a hole in a wall or the sidewalk or some obscure place, and stick the USB drive outta there, so someone could stick their laptop in an awkward position, open up the drive, and find the wallet.dat.

If you choose to protect the wallet though, make sure there's a readme.txt with instructions on what the wallet is and what to do with it. And add a secret passphrase (dfasdfafa1241214 or something) in the file so they can prove they really have the drive and not something that looks like it. And draw on the drive too. Write something on it.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: