Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 09:04:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Client pegs my CPU  (Read 946 times)
andrewbadr (OP)

Activity: 174
Merit: 100

Posts made Jan-March 2017 are not by me

View Profile
September 14, 2011, 11:48:23 PM

The official Bitcoin client always pegs my CPU to 100% when it's running. This makes everything run slowly. Other people don't seem to have this problem. Any ideas?

Running OSX 10.6.8, client version 0.3.24-beta
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Raptorblaze

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 15, 2011, 01:09:09 AM

You could change the config file so it doesn't automatically start generating coins every time you start...CPU mining is virtually pointless now anyway
andrewbadr (OP)

View Profile
September 15, 2011, 02:12:14 AM

You could change the config file so it doesn't automatically start generating coins every time you start...CPU mining is virtually pointless now anyway

I'm pretty sure I have that option turned off. Wasn't it removed from the client anyway?
Revalin

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

165YUuQUWhBz3d27iXKxRiazQnjEtJNG9g

View Profile
September 15, 2011, 02:14:23 AM

It's removed from the settings dialog but you can still enable it in the config file or command line.

What block number does it report in the lower right?  It's normal for it to use a lot of CPU and IO until it's finished downloading and verifying the block chain.

War is God's way of teaching Americans geography.  --Ambrose Bierce
Bitcoin is the Devil's way of teaching geeks economics.  --Revalin 165YUuQUWhBz3d27iXKxRiazQnjEtJNG9g
andrewbadr (OP)

View Profile
September 15, 2011, 02:35:56 AM

What block number does it report in the lower right?  It's normal for it to use a lot of CPU and IO until it's finished downloading and verifying the block chain.

Yes, it's catching up on the block chain. If using 100% of the CPU is intentional, I guess it's just bad design.
Revalin

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

165YUuQUWhBz3d27iXKxRiazQnjEtJNG9g

View Profile
September 15, 2011, 02:38:46 AM

Verifying history just takes a lot of CPU.  The fix people are discussing is to download some pre-verified chunks to seed it to 98% and then just process the last 2%, but that's not ready yet.

War is God's way of teaching Americans geography.  --Ambrose Bierce
Bitcoin is the Devil's way of teaching geeks economics.  --Revalin 165YUuQUWhBz3d27iXKxRiazQnjEtJNG9g
andrewbadr (OP)

View Profile
September 15, 2011, 02:42:37 AM

Verifying history just takes a lot of CPU.  The fix people are discussing is to download some pre-verified chunks to seed it to 98% and then just process the last 2%, but that's not ready yet.

Another fix would be to use at most, say, 50% of CPU. I'm sure most users would prefer that to the current operation, and it's a simpler change than downloading pre-verified chunks.
ohforf

Activity: 327
Merit: 250

we are legion

View Profile
September 15, 2011, 04:23:53 AM

Is it possible to reduce Task/Process/Thread Priority in OSX ?
Every half decent OS has Ways to do that, so there is hope.  Grin

By the way, whats your Hardware ? A faster CPU with more Cores might help a little...

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
▀██████ EAT SLEEP DECENTRALIZE ██████▀
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: