Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 06:27:32 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Philosofical question  (Read 1856 times)
Phrenico

Activity: 75
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 09:15:56 PM

If we accept nowadays that we will still be using BTC after all mining be done (21 M coins), as the miners will continue the blockchain by earning the transaction's fees, why dont we accept that we in fact dont need to mine theses coins at all?

We could stop at this present moment  (@ ~12 M coins) and prevent spending all this energy and resources to mine virtual coins. Instead, miners could use the money of buying ASICs and stuff to invest in Bitcoins startups that solves real problems like security and education of use.

A "great" consequence of this would be that the BTCUSD price would go up since there would be far less offer of coins (~ theoretical double, 12M/21M).

I would like more experienced btcoiners to explain to me why this isnt good.

Regs
Lyhue

I couldn't find one good answer to this question so far, so I'll give it a shot.

Bitcoin mining was initially designed to distribute coins throughout the network. It's just a way of bootstrapping the currency. If Satoshi had all 21 million BTC from the outset, there would be nobody to transact with, no transaction fees, and no trust. Still, it may have been possible to have "premined" all of the coins and secure the network through fees, but this seems like a better method from the perspective of adoption.

There's a second, stronger reason though:

There is currently not a good (AFAIK) solution to establishing a market in transaction fees. Currently, if we removed the subsidy at the moment, since miners have no disincentive to include a transaction in a block, there is no floor on transaction fees. Since the difficulty can always fall, there will be a cycle in which the average tx fee falls lower and lower and the network is insecure.

If the second problem were soluble, it would be certainly be wise to save the resources and stop inflating. I doubt it would happen though because it would undermine faith in the currency.
DontMineMe

Activity: 53
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 01:46:12 AM

If the same variables we have today are intact by the time all 21mil BTC mined, then BTC foundation/ community/trading partners must hire or pay miners to confirm transactions to insure continuity. Having said that I am not sure 4 or 5 years from now those variables will be there at all. Change and unpredictability is the name of the game  Wink
pjviitas

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 01:53:21 AM

If the same variables we have today are intact by the time all 21mil BTC mined, then BTC foundation/ community/trading partners must hire or pay miners to confirm transactions to insure continuity. Having said that I am not sure 4 or 5 years from now those variables will be there at all. Change and unpredictability is the name of the game  Wink

If you want a transaction authorized in 10 minutes, transaction fees are already here.

I suspect that after all the coins are mined there will be a QOS element to authorizing transactions based on time.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: