Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why?  (Read 800 times)
EducatedHero (OP)

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 02, 2011, 04:53:58 PM

Why do people expect to get rich off of bitcoins when the idea of it is the actual investment. If what i'm about to ask is taboo, please don't kill me.
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
nmat

Activity: 602
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 02, 2011, 05:01:59 PM

There aren's many taboo issues in this forum...

Well, there are two points:

• You make money with your computer. This seems like free money, but with the current mining difficulty it is not that simple..
  • Bitcoin value raised 4000% since last year
johnj

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 02, 2011, 05:06:59 PM

Why do people expect to get rich off of bitcoins when the idea of it is the actual investment. If what i'm about to ask is taboo, please don't kill me.

People got rich off of tulips for a time. And sea shells. And shiny metal.  And nowadays even little pieces of paper.  Bitcoin fits right in!

1AeW7QK59HvEJwiyMztFH1ubWPSLLKx5ym
TradeHill Referral TH-R120549
Arachnotron

Activity: 5

View Profile
September 02, 2011, 06:22:48 PM

There's nothing wrong with currency investing, it happens all the time. Whatever helps move more bitcoins around and gain popularity is good.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
September 02, 2011, 06:36:07 PM

not taboo, we laugh about it all the time.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
EducatedHero (OP)

View Profile
September 02, 2011, 07:47:54 PM

My only issue is the ones that are uneducated about programming language and securities measures are gonna suffer from the out come, and we're back at square one of the industrial revolution and when Social Darwinism was "The Oprah" of that time. I showed my professors the abstract of Satoshi and they flipped out (lmao). As an Applied Math Student I'm kind of upset..... BUT I LOVE BITCOINS lol. If I start a College-Student Club in regards of bitcoin, noone is gonna go after me, are they? I fear people that I don't understand.
Richard Rahl

Activity: 56

View Profile
September 02, 2011, 07:56:42 PM

I showed my professors the abstract of Satoshi and they flipped out (lmao). As an Applied Math Student I'm kind of upset..... BUT I LOVE BITCOINS lol.

How do you mean: "they flipped out". That could mean a whole lot of different things and all fit into the context of your post.

What were their reactions? I'm kind of interested in what a PhD would think of Bitcoin and the Algorithm.
EducatedHero (OP)

View Profile
September 02, 2011, 08:42:57 PM

Well I gave it to multiple professors:

I showed it to my adviser first, who is a big Pioneer for the Urge program. ( here's the link http://tinyurl.com/3tqy3nu )

Day 1

Me: hey, professor did you ever heard about bitcoins

*showed him a few google searches and satoshi's abstract*

Professor: Hmm, seems interesting..... I'll look into it.

Day 2

*before my Computational Class started*

Me: Hey professor!

Professor: WOW BITCOIN IS AMAZING!!!!! HOW DO YOU MINE? HAVE YOU READ SATOSHI'S PAPER!!

Me: uhh, you run some software and I am the one who mentioned it to you, lol.

Right now I'm trying to figure out how to pioneer a product such as bitcoin as digital coolness, and my current college is a big teacher school. and I got suggested to an award by SUNY without meeting the gpa requirements  Lips sealed wtf lmao. I understand my limits, so wtf is going on lol.

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
September 02, 2011, 09:04:53 PM

It tells you something when the intellectuals see the qualities of bitcoin, while the "experienced" economists claim skepticism without any valid arguments against it. None. Zilch. Nada.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
EducatedHero (OP)

View Profile
September 02, 2011, 09:07:37 PM

It tells you something when the intellectuals see the qualities of bitcoin, while the "experienced" economists claim skepticism without any valid arguments against it. None. Zilch. Nada.

sooooooo as a mathematician I'm not crazy.... lol?

cause I used to know people from wall street that would argue but they can't calculate as fast as I can.
johnj

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 02, 2011, 09:08:08 PM

Meh, not really a fair comparison.  The hard math side and the economical side are... well, two different sides.

1AeW7QK59HvEJwiyMztFH1ubWPSLLKx5ym
TradeHill Referral TH-R120549
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
September 02, 2011, 09:11:32 PM

The OP wasn't really about the hard math, more or less just a general opinion. But hey, if the math is tight, who am I to argue? As far as the economic qualities of bitcoin, I have to finish my tea and read the leaves to know for sure.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
EducatedHero (OP)

View Profile
September 02, 2011, 09:37:01 PM

Meh, not really a fair comparison.  The hard math side and the economical side are... well, two different sides.

Sort of, The only example can argue with is that alot of college students with economic and business majors dread calculus I and they usually take it at their senior (or super senior year). Meanwhile math majors like me, take it in our high school senior year or freshman year of college. my point is that educational value of bitcoin is more important than the value of the bitcoin itself. I just found it a bit dumb that people constantly complain about its value, rather than its commerce. fluffed that noise, we're living in a retarded economy anyways, where false numbers are thrown all over the place without the perception of time.

P.S. sorry for the nerd tantrum i'm reading a book/e-book about the chaos theory, lol. 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: