Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 01:21:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Digital Ocean Solo Mining Guide For Super New Coin "Vertcoin" CPU only!  (Read 29452 times)
larem

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 07:58:01 PM

Does DigitalOcean not ban VPS's for doing this when you're revving up their CPUs?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
pwf

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 08:04:36 PM

in fact no ... i clearly mentioned while signing up at DigitalOcean what my purpose was .. apparently, they are okay with it.

I use Linode as I get a 8 core CPU on Linode as opposed to just a 2-core with DO... have got banned by Linode once for mining on their Test Drive  Tongue ... then i signed up with them eventually.

Both cost the same .. so for this purpose, I feel Linode is better
larem

Activity: 350

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 08:08:28 PM

in fact no ... i clearly mentioned while signing up at DigitalOcean what my purpose was .. apparently, they are okay with it.

I use Linode as I get a 8 core CPU on Linode as opposed to just a 2-core with DO... have got banned by Linode once for mining on their Test Drive  Tongue ... then i signed up with them eventually.

Both cost the same .. so for this purpose, I feel Linode is better

Interesting. The guide here was nice. I just always assumed it'd be a swift ban and you were pretty much racing the clocks, lol.

pwf

Activity: 6

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 08:13:18 PM
Last edit: February 08, 2014, 08:37:24 PM by pwf

but why should one get banned? these are cloud compute providers and we are .. well ..  cloud computing right? ..

I guess it is a trade-off .. I'm hardly using storage space and network bandwidth .. but yeah, CPU wear n tear may happen

in fact, i did notice my cpu % go down from 450% to < 200% in about 2-3 weeks of mining ..
hycon

Activity: 2

View Profile
May 02, 2014, 09:29:27 AM

vertcoind getaccountaddress ""       
hycon

Activity: 2

View Profile
May 03, 2014, 08:08:39 AM

Well with those addnodes it connected ASAP! Roll Eyes Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue
watpr

Activity: 8

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 04:05:13 PM

Hi,

Help needed. I am a newbie here.

I have come across terms like "mining", "pool", etc...  Huh I don't know what these are, and in what way they are benefit for us?  Undecided

Can someone explain or provide a link which has information about that...?

Thanks for your valuable time.  Smiley
sandpaper

Activity: 373

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 10:23:02 PM

Hi,

I have come across terms like "mining", "pool", etc...  Huh I don't know what these are, and in what way they are benefit for us?  Undecided

This is probably off-topic for this thread, but I will see if I can explain a little bit in detail what these terms mean.

Mining is simply turning your electricity into cryptocurrencies (litecoin, bitcoin, hobonickels, dreamcoin, etc etc). This is done with computations being performed by your GPU / FPGA / CPU / ASIC device. Generally speaking it goes in this order of power. Lowest to highest. CPU / GPU / FPGA / ASIC.

Now the speed at which you mine different algorithms is based upon the hardware used. Now when your device "solves" the computation the fastest you will have "mined" a block. A block is how many of a specific cryptocurrency will be awarded to you for mining that block. Bitcoin is 25 per solved block as an example. Difficulty must also be taken into account, which I am not very good at explaining. The higher it goes, the harder it is to find a block and thus you would need more hashing power to find a block. This is where pools come in.

A pool is a group of miners (you, me, anyone mining) that direct their hashing power to generally speaking, a website. This site will then direct your hashing power to whatever coin it is mining and it would be as if you were mining with the total amount rather then simply your own. This increases your chance at finding a block. Now when a block is found the difference in a pool is that your total hashrate is your % of the block reward. So you have 1000 KH and the pool has 5000 KH and finds a block. You would get 20% of that reward being that you had 1000/5000 of the total hashing rate.

A Gigabyte R9 270x 2gb GPU will get around 485 KH/s running on scrypt. This same device will yield around 2.9x that rate on the algorithm x11. So different algorithms give different hash rates, but you must take into account electricity costs / hardware costs / fees from pools which I will go into in a moment / to be able to determine your profitability.

Hope this helps you out.
watpr

Activity: 8

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 03:13:06 AM

Hi,

This is probably off-topic for this thread, but I will see if I can explain a little bit in detail what these terms mean.

Mining is simply turning your electricity into cryptocurrencies (litecoin, bitcoin, hobonickels, dreamcoin, etc etc). This is done with computations being performed by your GPU / FPGA / CPU / ASIC device. Generally speaking it goes in this order of power. Lowest to highest. CPU / GPU / FPGA / ASIC.

Now the speed at which you mine different algorithms is based upon the hardware used. Now when your device "solves" the computation the fastest you will have "mined" a block. A block is how many of a specific cryptocurrency will be awarded to you for mining that block. Bitcoin is 25 per solved block as an example. Difficulty must also be taken into account, which I am not very good at explaining. The higher it goes, the harder it is to find a block and thus you would need more hashing power to find a block. This is where pools come in.

A pool is a group of miners (you, me, anyone mining) that direct their hashing power to generally speaking, a website. This site will then direct your hashing power to whatever coin it is mining and it would be as if you were mining with the total amount rather then simply your own. This increases your chance at finding a block. Now when a block is found the difference in a pool is that your total hashrate is your % of the block reward. So you have 1000 KH and the pool has 5000 KH and finds a block. You would get 20% of that reward being that you had 1000/5000 of the total hashing rate.

A Gigabyte R9 270x 2gb GPU will get around 485 KH/s running on scrypt. This same device will yield around 2.9x that rate on the algorithm x11. So different algorithms give different hash rates, but you must take into account electricity costs / hardware costs / fees from pools which I will go into in a moment / to be able to determine your profitability.

Hope this helps you out.

Thanks for the info sandpaper... Gained some knowledge from you... Now i have to research about how to mine...!!!  Grin
sandpaper

Activity: 373

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 03:30:24 AM

Yeah no problem. What are you trying to mine with? Maybe I can help you set it up all up. I know how confusing it all was when I first started
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: