Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 01:39:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Future of Altcoins (LTC, etc)?  (Read 1010 times)
cryptoanarchist
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1003

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 11:37:13 PM

The proof is in the pudding.

Idiots can argue that litecoins and peercoins are worthless, but the prices and graphs prove them wrong.

I'm grumpy!!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
reed07 (OP)

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 03:15:04 AM

But you don't need to wait for the full confirmations. It's very unlikely that the money won't get there once spent. As I mentioned before, payment processors will insure against lost money just like banks or credit card processors would.

After waiting for a single block confirmation (taking up to 10 minutes), it is very unlikely that the transaction will be overwritten by a longer, differing block chain segment, yes; however, if your transaction is currently only accepted by half of the miners in the world (before being confirmed in a block) then there is about a 50% chance at that given period of time that a block will be found that doesn't include your given transaction, thus voiding it. It takes significant time to disseminate your transaction through the mining community and when it is, there is nothing that forces the given miners to accept your transaction into their currently working new block. Because of this, it is possible (and very likely if one does not include a transaction/finders fee) that a given transaction could be not successfully added to the chain.

Currently there are no payment processors that insure against such things which is what I was talking about when I suggested a PayPal-like transaction that would do the following:
1. Authenticate the sender and make sure that he/she has sufficient funds.
2. Reduce the balance in the sender's account.
3. Increase the balance in the receiver's account.
4. Confirm the seller that the transaction went through.
5. Proceed to issue a BTC transaction between the sender and receiver on the actual BTC network, making sure that it goes through and resending if it does not.
*Finishing step 5 will take up to 10 minutes but the transaction for the user would be confirmed after step 4, taking only a couple seconds at most and allowing for things such as groceries to be bought in a timely manner.
reed07 (OP)

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 08:28:28 PM

The proof is in the pudding.

Idiots can argue that litecoins and peercoins are worthless, but the prices and graphs prove them wrong.

My thought process is that in order for altcoins to have longevity, their value propositions must be larger than the value that BTC has from the network effect. Currently, many altcoins site that their faster block rates give them a higher value proposition but once third party handlers get involved to speed up transactions to credit card-like speeds, the block rate won't give them much of an edge. The proof-of-work authentication model that BTC uses is costly (energy and hardware wise) but I have yet to see an alternative cryptocurrency (such as Ripple) implement a better system.
It makes sense that LTC/PPC have value currently because the faster transaction times actually gives them value but once third party transaction companies get involved to implement a PayPal-like system to speed up transactions, LTC and PPC will more than likely fall due to lack of innovation.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: