Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 09:04:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: My experience with solidcoin....  (Read 2132 times)
Xenland (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1003

I'm not just any shaman, I'm a Sha256man

View Profile
August 27, 2011, 12:57:42 AM
Last edit: August 27, 2011, 03:30:24 AM by Xenland

I was pretty satisfied to finally see what it was like to solo mine and the best part was with SolidCoin.
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
August 27, 2011, 08:21:39 AM

I was pretty satisfied to finally see what it was like to solo mine and the best part was with SolidCoin.

Congrats!  Grin

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

film2240
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

Freelance videographer

View Profile WWW
August 27, 2011, 08:37:51 AM

That's really gr8.How can I solo mine solidcoin on my PC?

[This signature is available for rent.BTC/ETH/LTC or £50 equivalent a month]
Danijel Habek

Activity: 189
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 27, 2011, 11:05:57 AM

This is a joke, right? After 207 posts you still can't solo mine?

Anyways,

1. Download SC client (binary for your system if you don't know how to compile the source)
2. Go to your user data folder for solidcoin and create or copy/paste a file solidcoin.conf where you input your rpc user, pass, port etc.
3. Run the SC client with -server option (from CLI eg. windows, run solidcoin.exe -server)
4. Point your miner to the ip and port of your SC server, and mine away.

Did I miss something?

Quote from: TraderTimm
For me, bitcoin is freedom that I never thought I'd see in my lifetime.
film2240
Legendary

Freelance videographer

View Profile WWW
August 27, 2011, 11:18:13 AM

This is a joke, right? After 207 posts you still can't solo mine?

Anyways,

1. Download SC client (binary for your system if you don't know how to compile the source)
2. Go to your user data folder for solidcoin and create or copy/paste a file solidcoin.conf where you input your rpc user, pass, port etc.
3. Run the SC client with -server option (from CLI eg. windows, run solidcoin.exe -server)
4. Point your miner to the ip and port of your SC server, and mine away.

Did I miss something?

Dan,I can understand that this is strange sounding to you that after 207 posts,i can't solo mine.The reason being is constant problems with the router I have no control over with the port forwarding, that prevents the ports needed for solo mining to work for my machine.Also I get confused when I see new alternate currencies thinking that they all work differently.2 things that will continue to slow me down are:
1.router issues (port forwarding is not easy and ports not easy to change)
2.Confusion over how multiple different currencies work and mine.

But anyways,thanks for the help Dan :-)

Is there a mining calculator for SC or is it the same basic idea as bitcoin calculator?

Danijel Habek

View Profile
August 27, 2011, 11:43:07 AM

Dan,I can understand that this is strange sounding to you that after 207 posts,i can't solo mine.The reason being is constant problems with the router I have no control over with the port forwarding, that prevents the ports needed for solo mining to work for my machine.Also I get confused when I see new alternate currencies thinking that they all work differently.2 things that will continue to slow me down are:

Is there a mining calculator for SC or is it the same basic idea as bitcoin calculator?

Sorry, too much coffee for me today Smiley

I don't believe you have to mess with port forwarding unless you're behind some restrictive firewall rules, even more if you're solo mining on your local network, router ports shouldn't be an issue.

Another thing I would suggest that you mine solids from a solidcoin mining pool, as with difficulty retargeting and being only 400ish mhash, you're bound to wait for that block a while, but hey, it's your decision.

You can use bitcoin calculator at alloscomp, just enter the solidcoin diff, your mhash, and price in bitcoin, and you will see yield estimates in bitcoin.

You can sell your mined solidcoins at bitparking exchange or Moonoco.in exchange or find some more if those two don't suit your taste.

film2240
Legendary

Freelance videographer

View Profile WWW
August 27, 2011, 12:02:16 PM
Last edit: August 27, 2011, 12:29:48 PM by film2240

I don't believe you have to mess with port forwarding unless you're behind some restrictive firewall rules, even more if you're solo mining on your local network, router ports shouldn't be an issue.

Another thing I would suggest that you mine solids from a solidcoin mining pool, as with difficulty retargeting and being only 400ish mhash, you're bound to wait for that block a while, but hey, it's your decision.

You can use bitcoin calculator at alloscomp, just enter the solidcoin diff, your mhash, and price in bitcoin, and you will see yield estimates in bitcoin.

You can sell your mined solidcoins at bitparking exchange or Moonoco.in exchange or find some more if those two don't suit your taste.

I am mining from a solidcoin mining pool as it may be more beneficial.I think I'll take your advice on that one.Thing is our router seems to treat solo mining as traffic even though it's on my own computer so that doesn't really help things so I mine in the pool as it just works.My PC is mining with GPU and my MBP mines with its GPU and CPU (as I get much more from each part of my MBP than I ever would have done with BTC)

As I'm up and running,I'm loving it so far,fast production even on my 2 computers :-).How does difficulty change and how often on SC?or is it the same as BTC mining?Has anyone been able to profit from SC mining so far?

Thanks for the help Dan :-)

Danijel Habek

View Profile
August 27, 2011, 12:19:41 PM

Congratulations on that block!
My first solo block was with namecoin, and had some more luck when wild west race started on i0coins Smiley (that was fun to watch). I've missed the solidcoin rush, but I believe we will see more of that in future...not that I'm much fond of it, but at least I can sandbox my trading skills, without hurting my bitcoin allegiance too much.

Oh, and sorry for thread abuse with film2240...

Xenland (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 27, 2011, 12:21:30 PM

I am mining from a solidcoin mining pool as it may be more beneficial.I think I'll take your advice on that one.Thing is our router seems to treat solo mining as traffic even though it's on my own computer so that doesn't really help things so I mine in the pool as it just works.My PC is mining with GPU and my MBP mines with its GPU and CPU (as I get much more from each part of my MBP than I ever would have done with BTC)

As I'm up and running,I'm loving it so far,fast production even on my 2 computers :-).How does difficulty change and how often on SC?or is it the same as BTC mining?Has anyone been able to profit from SC mining so far?

Thanks for the help Dam :-)

Sounds like your making all requests go through the router, make your mining program(or auditor app as i like to call it) point towards your local address 127.0.0.1 that way there is no need to route through the router its just directly connected to the computer. If this isn't the case and Solidcoin wont connect well.... I would look into that or call your ISP.
joulesbeef

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

moOo

View Profile
August 27, 2011, 01:10:50 PM

the diff changes at least 2 times a day.

the price is a bit low and right it is only a tad bit more profitable than mining btc but of course the risk is much higher with these new currencies, but so far solidcoin has done well and looks like it might stick around a little longer.

Mineing solo can be depressing.

mooo for rent
Xenland (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 27, 2011, 02:41:25 PM

...Mineing solo can be depressing.

You got that right Cheesy
film2240
Legendary

Freelance videographer

View Profile WWW
August 27, 2011, 05:53:42 PM

Dan,you know when we talked about setting up solo earlier.I used the following settings (basically what the official FAQ told me to use in the config file then use in GUIMiner):
host:127.0.0.1
username:user
p/w:userpass
port:7556
server-1 (that was in the solidcoin.conf file)

Is that the proper way to set it up?Because I want to get more money by mining solo as the pool gives me little income in comparison.How much do you get per block?50?32?

I hope to get income soon.Do you know of any better card than a HD6950 that can make this much faster? Can CPU still be helpful alongside the GPU or is CPU mining alongside GPU already worthless?

How can I get my mac and work computers to connect to my PC so that all machines can work on the same block like in the bitcoin solo mining setup?

Thanks

Danijel Habek

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 12:12:12 PM

Dan,you know when we talked about setting up solo earlier.I used the following settings (basically what the official FAQ told me to use in the config file then use in GUIMiner):
host:127.0.0.1
username:user
p/w:userpass
port:7556
server-1 (that was in the solidcoin.conf file)

Is that the proper way to set it up?Because I want to get more money by mining solo as the pool gives me little income in comparison.How much do you get per block?50?32?

I hope to get income soon.Do you know of any better card than a HD6950 that can make this much faster? Can CPU still be helpful alongside the GPU or is CPU mining alongside GPU already worthless?

How can I get my mac and work computers to connect to my PC so that all machines can work on the same block like in the bitcoin solo mining setup?

Thanks

Here you go, .conf file I'm using, with this you can solo mine, or use it as a client and mine on the pool, whichever you prefer the most.

# solidcoin.conf configuration file. Lines beginning with # are comments.
rpcuser=user
rpcpassword=pass
rpcport=7556
rpcallowip=*
gen=0
server=1

Consult this page for more info, where to place .conf file depending on your OS of choice, and more answers to your posible questions.

I have this just for test purposes on a virtualbox win appliance, and it's working. I usually go to the  command line interface (start, run, cmd.exe), and cd to the folder where you've placed solidcoin files, and then I run it with "solidcoin.exe -server" command. You can then point your miner software to the ip address of your pc running the SC server/client, and start minining solo.
Which is really frustrating as those fine people above already pointed out.

If you don't have MacPro, but using iMac, or even worse Macbook/Pro, I wouldn't suggest you mine with those, as you could face temperature problems, and may end with a damaged system soon. Use the search on Mac mining help.

You get 32SC per mined block.
Using this calculator, entering the SC diff, and your speed (approx. 400mhash?), you'll need about 2 days to hit a block. On the other hand, mining with 400mhash at the pool, in the current diff, you'll earn 38SC's in same time period.

I'll leave you there to do some math for yourself.

Hi ho!

wacko
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1014

View Profile
September 05, 2011, 05:41:21 PM

Trying solo-mining with 3.7 GHash—9 cards in 4 machines. One is a mining rig with 4 cards in it and it has Solidcoin app running, miners on this machine connect to 127.0.0.1, and 3 other machines connect to that one over LAN (rpcallowip="specific IP" for each machine in the solidcoin.conf). Config file looks like this:

rpcuser=coin
rpcpassword=coin
rpcport=7556
server=1
maxconnections=500
rpcallowip=192.168.138.2
rpcallowip=192.168.138.3
rpcallowip=192.168.245.1

So all cards are hashing (using guiminer), and after a few hours I see that out of 9 workers there were 4 "shares" accepted and 1 rejected. Does this mean I've found 5 blocks one of which was invalid? I don't see any money in my solidcoin client though. For a moment there was a line saying something like "generated, mature in 120 blocks", and it was promising something like 42 SC, but this line is now gone! Only my old transactions are listed (from the days I was mining in a pool) and nothing from today's solo mining. Sad Is this how it supposed to work and the coins will appear in the wallet after 120 blocks, or there's something wrong with my setup?
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
September 05, 2011, 06:10:14 PM

You are aware that solidcoin died yesterday?
wacko
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1014

View Profile
September 05, 2011, 06:15:17 PM

Yeah, just read about closing of bitparking exchange, but I'm still interested in solo-mining in general, just would like to know whether I was doing it right or not..
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: