Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 07:38:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Community Gives Back!  (Read 2333 times)
Nightowlace (OP)

Activity: 980
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2014, 04:16:41 PM
Last edit: January 13, 2014, 02:16:28 AM by Nightowlace

I think that title has a nice ring too it.

A forum user who was recently scammed out of bitcoin has inspired me. Instead of focussing his energy on the negative event that happened he instead is organizing our community to do more in the way of charitable efforts. I think it's an outstanding idea.

A lot of you know me for my Casascius Coin sales here on the forum. I also invest in real estate. I purchased a few homes in and around Cleveland OH (where I'm from) this year and one in particular I really shot myself in the foot on.
This one;
http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1171-Erieview-Rd-Cleveland-Heights-OH-44121/33653102_zpid/?mobile=false

I came out of the gate and I priced it way too high. I was greedy. It turned off all the potential buyers and most realtors. So I can rent it out, try and sell it myself, or....... Let's give it to charity!

I have invested $50,000 into this property. The title transfer and legal fees (making sure it's all on the up and up) will be approx $2,000 and new appliances will be about $4,000. So I propose we raise $56,000 and gift this home to a foster care agency to be used to place a family in that will foster kids in need of a home where they can be safe, secure, and happy.

This home will bear a plaque naming it the Bitcoin Community Foster home.  We will make arrangements so that any donator or community member can call or stop by to see the home and if they choose can continue to donate to the family. If there are any funds left over those funds will be used to purchase playground equipment for the backyard.

I know there are something's that I may not be thinking of and I know that I will need some help with coordinating any type of media coverage if this should be a success. I will be calling on many of my friends here to make donations and to encourage their friends to do so.

Stephen Smith an attorney in Kent OH will be contacted tomorrow and enlisted to help with the legalities of this.
A couple of things;
If you make a donation please PM me with the transaction ID so that if this does not fully fund we can return your donation.
How do you know this is legitimate? You can see from county records I Adam Graham am the owner of this property. Stephen Smith is my attorney. I can provide contact info for myself and Steve if anyone wants it prior to making a donation. I can also provide a photo of the deed if anyone wants it.
If there is any other way to verify this please let me know I am open to whatever you need.

I will also be seeking cash donations from my non bitcoin friends and I will convert that to bitcoin and deposit that as they come in. I know $56,000 sounds like a lot but with as many people this community has and as much support I know we can get, we will be able to do this!

Let me know if you have any questions.

All donations should be made to this address. As soon as the amount of bitcoin donated equals $56,000 I will begin the process of gifting the home.

195szssrHCzTDBM1dx4mGtXyGg3sBs9FUV

I will also be taking photos of the family, home and plaque afterwards and would appreciate any help with releasing this story to the press.

Again this is my first time doing anything like this so any help and/or suggestions would be appreciated!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Nightowlace (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2014, 04:46:08 PM

Well I hope this works. I sent out a mass text and apparently one of the local guys I know has a good friend at Fox News here in Cleveland and is goin to forward this to her. Come in guys don't let me down!
999Fine

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 04:57:07 PM

I think this is a brilliant idea!  I will certainly be donating to this.
Nightowlace (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2014, 05:02:59 PM

Donations are tax deductible. I can get receipts from the charity. I will need an address to mail them too.
saif92

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 05:13:43 PM

Donations are tax deductible. I can get receipts from the charity. I will need an address to mail them too.
very good idea I apperciate this and in near future must donate some coins to this project good luck for you for this project

icey
Legendary

Activity: 1578
Merit: 1000

May the coin be with you..

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 05:29:22 PM

I'm in for this, great publicity and a even better cause. I'll work out how much I can donate
Nightowlace (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2014, 05:30:51 PM

Thanks guys! I appreciate the support. I think this is going to be a success! Something we can be proud of.
Nightowlace (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2014, 06:17:20 PM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=412481.new#new
Nightowlace (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2014, 06:39:40 PM

A huge thank you to 999Fine for 1BTC donation!!!
A huge thank you to Camolist for paying half of the cost of a Casascius Single BTC coin to be auctioned off for this cause!

jakedeez

Activity: 512

ICO is evil

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 06:42:42 PM

A huge thank you to Camolist for paying half of the cost of a Casascius Single BTC coin to be auctioned off for this cause!

You know me man, I am not sure how much yet, but for sure I'll be involved.

Jake
Nightowlace (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2014, 06:46:22 PM

Jake

I appreciate it! Let everyone know about this. The more people we can get involved the better chance we have of making it happen.

Also if anyone wants to donate any items to be auctioned off and the proceeds donated to this I think that's another great way to fund this thing if you don't have or want to give up your own bitcoin!
jakedeez

ICO is evil

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 06:56:29 PM

Jake

I appreciate it! Let everyone know about this. The more people we can get involved the better chance we have of making it happen.

Also if anyone wants to donate any items to be auctioned off and the proceeds donated to this I think that's another great way to fund this thing if you don't have or want to give up your own bitcoin!

If I can get some more details I might be able to reach out to someone of my press contacts to see if they want to do a story.
Nightowlace (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2014, 07:01:36 PM

Jake

If I can get some more details I might be able to reach out to someone of my press contacts to see if they want to do a story.

Absolutely. I'll be speaking with Steve tomorrow as well as the Cuyahoga County family services tomorrow. Once I have all of that in place I think we will be set for press. I'm hoping they also have some donors that would be willing to fund this.

Nightowlace (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2014, 08:28:50 PM

1.01 received.
1 Casascius Coin up for auction received.

jakedeez

ICO is evil

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 08:52:30 PM

.02 sent... Hope to be able to do more.
Nightowlace (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2014, 08:57:21 PM

.02 sent... Hope to be able to do more.

Every little Bit helps!
dave3k

Activity: 147
Merit: 100

Realbitcoin.info

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2014, 09:16:29 PM

0.02 from me too to start with.

Lets do this!

Realbitcoin.info
Nightowlace (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2014, 09:29:55 PM

0.02 from me too to start with.

Lets do this!

That's awesome! Thank you.
icey
Legendary

Activity: 1578
Merit: 1000

May the coin be with you..

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 10:18:20 PM

Just been looking at houses in the area on streetview. $56k buys you alot of house in the States. Be lucky to get a caravan for that in the UK.
Nightowlace (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2014, 11:21:52 PM

Just been looking at houses in the area on streetview. $56k buys you alot of house in the States. Be lucky to get a caravan for that in the UK.

Yes, the neighborhood is a very blue collar middle class area. Unfortunately it was hit hard with foreclosures. So a lot of "house flippers" are going in an turning them for quick profit. I attempted too but like I said came out too strong and spent too much fixing it. So I figured why let it sit there why not try and do something good with it.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: