Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 04:45:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Are pooled mining blocks reliable indicators of successful mining configuration?  (Read 1538 times)
eMansipater (OP)

Activity: 294
Merit: 273

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2011, 10:14:14 PM

I switch my GPU miner (poclbm) between pooled and solo mining in about a 2:1 ratio respectively because I appreciate the convenience and predictability of pooled mining, but I think solo mining is still important for the mining ecosystem.  Over the past two months I've found four blocks (and been paid out more than that) in Slush's pool, but haven't found any blocks when mining solo.

I'm well aware that this isn't statistically ridiculous, but it does leave me with the nagging concern that I've configured something wrong in my solo setup.  The only difference between the two is the batch file I use to launch poclbm, which adds the host parameter for pooled mining (I use identical username and password for my local bitcoin login to simplify things), and the software appears to run identically for both of them, excepting the regular hashes that are found during pooled mining.  For example, the hash rate is identical, and no errors are produced.

Is the fact that I'm successfully finding blocks for the pool sufficient to show that everything is okay?  I suspect that it is but thought I'd double-check nonetheless to make sure my solo results are just 'bad' luck.  Can anyone lend a deeper insight?

sincerely,
eMansipater

If you found my post helpful, feel free to send a small tip to 1QGukeKbBQbXHtV6LgkQa977LJ3YHXXW8B
Visit the BitCoin Q&A Site to ask questions or share knowledge.
0.009 BTC too confusing?  Use mBTC instead!  Details at www.em-bit.org or visit the project thread to help make Bitcoin prices more human-friendly.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
slush
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1097

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2011, 11:04:52 PM

I'm well aware that this isn't statistically ridiculous

Exactly.

but it does leave me with the nagging concern that I've configured something wrong in my solo setup.

If you have some connections in your bitcoin client, don't see any errors in miner and your card is working (because you can submit shares/blocks to the pool), then everything is working fine.

freeman

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 05, 2011, 12:12:27 AM

It would be nice to have a test network with a low difficulty (maybe just a single node) that could be used to validate miner implementations.
slush
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1097

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2011, 12:14:48 AM

It would be nice to have a test network with a low difficulty (maybe just a single node) that could be used to validate miner implementations.

There IS testnet network. Just start bitcoin client with -testnet argument.

eMansipater (OP)

Activity: 294
Merit: 273

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2011, 02:03:07 AM

I'm well aware that this isn't statistically ridiculous

Exactly.

but it does leave me with the nagging concern that I've configured something wrong in my solo setup.

If you have some connections in your bitcoin client, don't see any errors in miner and your card is working (because you can submit shares/blocks to the pool), then everything is working fine.
Thanks, Slush.

There IS testnet network. Just start bitcoin client with -testnet argument.

testnet is a good point--I didn't think to doublecheck with that, but all seems to be well.  Just a matter of time now.  sigh.

If you found my post helpful, feel free to send a small tip to 1QGukeKbBQbXHtV6LgkQa977LJ3YHXXW8B
Visit the BitCoin Q&A Site to ask questions or share knowledge.
0.009 BTC too confusing?  Use mBTC instead!  Details at www.em-bit.org or visit the project thread to help make Bitcoin prices more human-friendly.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: