Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 02:23:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How many people have bought rigs for free through bitcoins they've earned?  (Read 2854 times)
thefussydutchman

Activity: 142
Merit: 100

BTC- Its not a bubble.

View Profile
September 09, 2011, 08:33:44 PM

whats w/ all the cosby hackers where are my coins bill

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Bitcraft

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 11, 2011, 02:21:20 PM

whats w/ all the cosby hackers where are my coins bill

the forum got hacked, bro.
Chucksta

Activity: 168

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 01:29:10 PM

All my rigs have been fully paid for by BTC and NMC mining, plus a 4 day trip to Amsterdam, which involves copious amounts of cream Wink
Bitonetta

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 07:13:50 PM

I have over 2 dozen cards.  And alot of hardware that was bought haphazardly when I originally started.  Like 5 750TX power supplies which was originally bought but then replaced with 1200 watt ones.  Alot of extra 'others' sitting around as well.  I never bothered to return them and just keeping them cause I'll find uses for them eventually.  Including some good cases that was bought as well.  UPS, a very good quality dell switch, KVM and some extra AC units... basically everything I needed for a data center install.

Everything (even the extras) all bought new from newegg.  Been running for awhile and I've been running pure profit now.  Everything I've bought has been paid for.  So it's all just free money now.  (Electric is free for me)

I don't even bother tweaking or overclocking my cards.  Stability is rock for me.  I've only had to touch the rigs once in the past 2 months.  I was worried about Irene, but nothing.  UPSes kept everything going strong all week long.

I know things can be improved easily.  Lots of things I got are considered 'wasted' for bitcoins but I like toys.  UPSs, KVM, smart switches were all a completely unnecessary expense but what the hell?  I figured after everything is done I'll still have those left over which can easily be used elsewhere.  Figured at the time I bought it, if I recouped my costs, then it's just free hardware.  I calculated everything very conservatively at the time of purchase and figured it be great if I can break even.  But to cross that line and now actually make money... GRAVY!
AngelusWebDesign

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 08:07:03 PM

Now please point out WHEN you started --

Let's put it this way -- I bet you didn't buy most of your stuff in July (nevermind August) or you would NOT have broken even by now, especially with the extra, non-necessary hardware you mentioned purchasing.

I slowly built up, starting in late May, and I'm still only 74% paid off.
AngelusWebDesign

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 08:54:42 PM

I have over 2 dozen cards.  And alot of hardware that was bought haphazardly when I originally started.  Like 5 750TX power supplies which was originally bought but then replaced with 1200 watt ones.  Alot of extra 'others' sitting around as well.  I never bothered to return them and just keeping them cause I'll find uses for them eventually.

Everything (even the extras) all bought new from newegg.  Been running for awhile and I've been running pure profit now.  Everything I've bought has been paid for.  So it's all just free money now.  (Electric is free for me)

How do you manage to get free electricity for 25 or more cards?  
That basically means that somebody doesn't miss $450 to $500 every month because, as everyone knows, electricity is never FREE -- though sometimes someone else pays for it.

Your parents too rich and/or proud to hit you up for the $450+ it's costing them every month?

Seriously, that should be more than a blip or "noise level" for most power bills -- even a company should notice that, nevermind an individual.
SMOKEU

Activity: 495
Merit: 10

📱 CARTESI 📱 INFRASTRUCTURE FOR DAP

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 10:42:20 PM

I've lost most of my savings through BTC from buying hardware and I don't think I'll ever get that money back.
That's unfortunate what kind of rigs did you build? and when did you start building these rigs?

Bought a 5970 which died about a week later then I bought a 5850 which is still going strong but I don't think I'll ever get my money back on that with the electricity prices around here.

██████████████  CARTESI 📱 LINUX INFRASTRUCTURE FOR SCALABLE DAPPS  ██████████████
█▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇█
Chucksta

Activity: 168

View Profile
September 14, 2011, 08:17:37 AM

Now please point out WHEN you started --

Let's put it this way -- I bet you didn't buy most of your stuff in July (nevermind August) or you would NOT have broken even by now, especially with the extra, non-necessary hardware you mentioned purchasing.

I slowly built up, starting in late May, and I'm still only 74% paid off.

Yeah, anyone buying in as a BTC miner from July will have not have made their money back, and will take a good long time doing so, but they can

1) monitor the different cryptocurrencies and move to the most profitable
2) take risks by buying the currencies and hope they go up in value (the best way to make money... but takes balls of adamantium)

That's exactly what I have done since getting in on this at the start of April. Just need to keep on monitoring the market, and take the odd calculated risk or two with funds you can afford to lose.

It was the NMC bonanza way back that made my money back on my equipment. Luckily I had discovered it some weeks beforehand, and took a risk on gathering a good amount of coin. Then people on this forum found out about it and slowly but surely the message spread, then NMC mining went through the roof and so did the price. Amazing! I made a crazy amount of money in that time. Then there was the two day boost we had with NMC... made a nice bit then.

And just recently, the SLC run gave me another nice lot of money... made a couple of hundred on IOC as well, but that does not look too healthy at the moment. It needs far better promotion and support. I completely missed the IOX one, if there was one.
Just in case anyone is interested, SLC has been halted for 2 weeks while security updates are applied http://solidcointalk.org/topic/211-solidcoin-shutting-down-at-block-35250/
I think you can still mine coins, but all the ones you gather after block 35250 are not counted.

One thing that amazes me, AngelusWebDesign, is that this whole crypticurrency thing is still an earner. I would have bet that it would have been dead by now. For miners at least.

At the moment, even though IOC has been flagging and is in dire need of decent support and development, I have most of my miners gathering that coin. Worth a gamble Smiley

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: