Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 06:58:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: U.S. Authorities Shut Down WordPress Host With 73,000 Blogs  (Read 9416 times)
Anonymous

July 16, 2010, 02:54:21 PM

http://torrentfreak.com/u-s-authorities-shut-down-wordpress-host-with-73000-blogs-100716/

I know it's not bitcoin related but is there any way to set up a p2p blogging system that isnt centrally hosted?

On  a side note google blogger is the direct competitor to wordpress.com and recently went into partnership with the NSA.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoiner

Activity: 70
Merit: 11

View Profile
July 16, 2010, 03:27:16 PM

Domain seizure:

http://torrentfreak.com/pirate-bay-and-megaupload-escape-domain-seizure-by-us-100707/

Want to thank me for this post? Donate here! Flip your coins over to: 13Cq8AmdrqewatRxEyU2xNuMvegbaLCvEe  Smiley
Some Mouse

Activity: 50
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 19, 2010, 12:27:16 PM

IPBFree just got shut down out of nowhere too.
Anonymous

July 19, 2010, 12:35:48 PM

If property rights are no longer valid in the US it is a very sad day in history.
martin

Activity: 150
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2010, 12:39:19 PM

I know it's not bitcoin related but is there any way to set up a p2p blogging system that isnt centrally hosted?

My final year project for my computer science degree is a peer to peer service host, you write scripts for it and they are run in a distributed fashion across the network, scripts can be anything you like, and a blogging site is certainly possible. Maybe after this year at uni I'll release it and see if it catches on Smiley
Bitcoiner

Activity: 70
Merit: 11

View Profile
July 19, 2010, 04:44:31 PM

If property rights are no longer valid in the US it is a very sad day in history.

The US can seize any domain it wishes under the idea that it's the property being charged, not the person. I don't believe they even have to find the person themselves guilty of any crime. This doesn't just apply to internet domains.

Want to thank me for this post? Donate here! Flip your coins over to: 13Cq8AmdrqewatRxEyU2xNuMvegbaLCvEe  Smiley
Some Mouse

Activity: 50
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 20, 2010, 12:03:47 AM

Well, they never seized the domain, oddly, just the servers. At least, in IPBFree's case, if the domain was seized it wasn't by an American interest.
ichi

Activity: 182
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 20, 2010, 03:50:23 AM

Many governments redirect/blackhole domain names.  Generally, the DNS hierarchy limits censorship appropriately.  And there are occasional glitches.  For example, configuration errors allowed Chinese DNS lookups to leak a few months ago, making Falun Gong etc sites briefly unavailable in the US.  One can find DNS lookup tables (and even custom DNS servers) here and there.
aceat64

Activity: 307
Merit: 102

View Profile
July 22, 2010, 03:07:54 PM

The US can seize any domain it wishes under the idea that it's the property being charged, not the person. I don't believe they even have to find the person themselves guilty of any crime. This doesn't just apply to internet domains.

Civil forfeiture is unconstitutional and yet it happens everyday. I know of someone who was charged with a crime and had his phone and some cash stolen by the police. They claimed the phone and cash were ill-gotten gains, even though the phone was bought by the person's mother and she had a receipt as proof! In the end, the charges were dropped before going to court but the city still kept the property because he had to sue to get it back which would have cost more then the phone+cash.

For more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asset_forfeiture#United_States
throughput

Activity: 158

View Profile
July 28, 2010, 01:38:06 PM

Yeah, good-old FIDO network, just over IP over Tor.

After all, I was amused by the same idea, as you, but came to conclusion, that I have no time
to spend on that, and only have the chance to occassionally discover something ready and working.

So, is there any way to set up a p2p blogging system that isnt centrally hosted?

Or more generally, Is there any software, that allows for pseudonymous publishing of texts/documents/files,
with stable links to them, with decentralized and cryptographically safe storage.
That also allows for messages exchange.
I hope, that will be enough for your blogging.
I will also request trust network management features.

Edited:
http://p2pfoundation.net/Category:Technology

Right now I'm listing through sites like that, and there is too much software published for P2P networking. I'm lost.
D҉ataWraith

Activity: 60

View Profile
July 28, 2010, 03:29:10 PM

Um, Freenet?

1NvcPV6xi6yqo5yg8aWSkNdasPSAsGtt1m
throughput

Activity: 158

View Profile
July 28, 2010, 05:02:39 PM

Um, Freenet?

By the way, does anybody knows about a system like Freenet in darknet mode, but with peer censorship.
I mean, with ability to forbid my node's access to spammers and advertisers and other generators of meaningless noise,
and also mark their friends as not-so-trusted, to record the history and be able to filter them (or all their friends,
except some white list) too in the future in the case
they continue to provide access for such noise generators.
I'd like to also limit providing my resources to my trusted peers, their trusted peers and whom they recommends, and maybe
to trusted of the trusted-trusted Smiley Well, perhaps deeper.
But be able to exclude everyone, who is posting spam or is doing destructive things, as I decide.

That will be a perfect network for me, as I see it now in my dreams.  Roll Eyes
ichi

Activity: 182

View Profile
July 28, 2010, 08:27:58 PM

Running Freenet in darknet mode includes only nodes that you've manually added.

However, nodes that you add can be running in open mode, I believe.
Anonymous

July 29, 2010, 05:07:29 AM

Um, Freenet?

I know about freenet Tongue
I was thinking about the lowest common denominator,people who may not know how to use freenet necessarily.Once they are cut off they may not be able to route around things.I wonder what percentage may just shrug their shoulders and accept the status quo?There will always be people with more advanced skills who know how to find what they need but as long as the vast majority is unable or unwilling to go to such lengths this is a major weakness.How many people would give up bittorrent if the main pirate sites had their domains seized for instance?I think you may be surprised how many people dont even know that google can be searched for torrents as easily as tpb!

Maybe I am just a dinosaur but the power of incrementalism means in a few years only the most adept will be uncensored.I have great hopes however that the counter economy will come up with solutions.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: