Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 09:05:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Dummy HDMI plugs  (Read 169 times)
icanoe (OP)

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 22, 2018, 06:41:37 PM

hi!

Are these dummy HDMI plugs neccessary?

I have some 1080ti rigs prebuilt but not running yet. I don't want to cause any delays by not having these (if needed.)

Any help appeciated! Cheesy
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
texasman86

Activity: 294
Merit: 104

View Profile
May 22, 2018, 06:59:45 PM

They are not necessary. I've heard that GPUs will have less "issues" with them, but I have had a ton of GPUs with them (they came with them), a ton without them and can't tell any difference.

Nvidia GPUs will have less issues than AMD, so I wouldn't buy them if I were you. I actually wouldn't buy them for AMD either.
rascao

Activity: 44

View Profile
May 22, 2018, 07:03:33 PM

hi!

I have some 1080ti rigs prebuilt but not running yet. I don't want to cause any delays by not having these (if needed.)

AMD gpus on windows need 1 on any gpu for OC and FAN control but no other benefits give you that, but only on windows whit AMD on linux you dont need that, as for nvidia you dont need that on windows or linux
androstan1234

Activity: 251
Merit: 6

View Profile
May 22, 2018, 07:05:53 PM

hi!

AMD gpus on windows need 1 on any gpu for OC and FAN control but no other benefits give you that, but only on windows whit AMD on linux you dont need that, as for nvidia you dont need that on windows or linux

I find that AMD works fine on windows, including OC and fan control, without any dummy plugs.
rascao

Activity: 44

View Profile
May 22, 2018, 07:09:00 PM

well can be on the newst drivers but when the blockchain drivers first was release they dont work unless you plug a monitor or a dummy on at least 1 of the gpu only for 10 segs the you disconnect and works until reboot, then you have to conect again the monitor thats why we use the dummy is cheaper and you can let it connected
Coyn

Activity: 66
Merit: 1

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2018, 07:43:42 PM

hi!

Yes the are needed, but ONLY on old motherboards (H81 chipset). The new motherboards can handle gpu without imput just fine.
Za1n
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1011

View Profile
May 24, 2018, 06:29:48 PM

The other benefit for using dummy plugs is if you use software to remote view the headless rigs (VNC, etc.), the screen resolution will be higher (matching the HDMI dummy plugs resolution). This may or may not be a big deal for you, but I know with AMD cards it used to only display a very small 640x480 window making it very hard to manage the rigs remotely.

This may have changed with the more recent AMD drivers, I do not know as I mainly have Nvidia cards now and all my older AMD's have the dummy plugs already, but something to keep in mind. Not having them right away should in no way affect your ability to begin mining, so you can decide if you need them once you have your rigs up and running. If all your cards are Nvidia, then as others have mentioned you will not need them at all.
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 1708

View Profile
May 25, 2018, 12:07:50 AM

Depends what GPU you have.

If you got old GPUs like the 280X or Radeon 7xxx series you don't need these plugs.

If you got the newer RX series then you need them because you will either not be able to see your temps or you will be stuck at a low clock because the system thinks there is no monitor connected to it.

You only need 1 per system generally. Usually plugged into the GPU which is in the 16x 3.0 PCIe slot.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██