Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 03:46:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Here is an idea for all the physical coin aficionados  (Read 728 times)
gogodr (OP)

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 07:29:56 AM

I don't have the means to do it, but I would really like to see it done.
How about destructible coins? Now now, before you leave thinking that I'm mad, hear me out.
By destructible I mean that in order to get the wallet, you have to destroy the actual coin.
How?
Make a little container which holds the private key of the wallet. (this container should be ceramic or metal in order to resist heat)
Make the coin with glass surrounding the container and engrave the public key of the wallet in the outside of the coin. could as well make it all fancy with rare metals for decoration, but the core should be something destructible like glass.
That way you have the wallet inside and the public key outside.
to get the bitcoins from the coin you have to break it. If you don't break it, the coin keeps it's value.

-on a side note, I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right sub forum. Please move it if it is not appropriate in here.
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 08:44:48 AM

It's a good idea- so good actually that I am already in the manufacturing stage of producing it. I was hoping to wait a few more weeks before making the announcement but I will have a full range of these products for sale in the spring. I will also be open to licensing the patent for the implementation at reasonable rates. So that te market is vibrant and diverse.

Amazing though really, how people will always independent come up with the same idea.

more or less retired.
gogodr (OP)

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 08:55:25 AM

:O Nice to see that you are already working on it and have a patent.
Though It is really hard to believe the actual utility you can get from the patent, since the concept is to general that I doubt you can file a patent that is hard to dodge.
Also since bitcoin is a global thing and patents are just local, your patent is not valid in other countries (that could still sell worldwide).

My point is> I hope you didn't invest just yet on the patent. Evaluate first: if you were to find that someone had a patent for it and you could dodge it by modifying the product a little. how easy would that be? if it is easy, then the patent is useless.

anyways, I'm looking froward to your full announcement on that project Cheesy
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 09:06:49 AM

Yeah i know, it will take a few years to find out though as the patent office is slow. That said, In building the prototypes there are a few problems that crop up that I believe I have solved in a way that are novel and hopefully the patent office will agree. I didn't patent putting a string of numbers and letters inside a device needless to say. ;-)  as for worldwide patents, they are possible, but there are only a few markets you can realistically expect the protection to be valuable.

But yeah I am excited to do a full announcement, just a couple more weeks. :-)

:O Nice to see that you are already working on it and have a patent.
Though It is really hard to believe the actual utility you can get from the patent, since the concept is to general that I doubt you can file a patent that is hard to dodge.
Also since bitcoin is a global thing and patents are just local, your patent is not valid in other countries (that could still sell worldwide).

My point is> I hope you didn't invest just yet on the patent. Evaluate first: if you were to find that someone had a patent for it and you could dodge it by modifying the product a little. how easy would that be? if it is easy, then the patent is useless.

anyways, I'm looking froward to your full announcement on that project Cheesy

more or less retired.
gogodr (OP)

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 09:13:21 AM

Indeed, if you make it big time patent it in USA, Canada and UK.
Good luck :3

:O Also, maybe why not mass produce little wallets. Cheap coins made of plastic with the same principle of having the container inside the plastic. those ones could store mBTC
ColdCoin

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2014, 09:40:58 PM

I don't have the means to do it, but I would really like to see it done.
How about destructible coins? Now now, before you leave thinking that I'm mad, hear me out.
By destructible I mean that in order to get the wallet, you have to destroy the actual coin.
How?
Make a little container which holds the private key of the wallet. (this container should be ceramic or metal in order to resist heat)
Make the coin with glass surrounding the container and engrave the public key of the wallet in the outside of the coin. could as well make it all fancy with rare metals for decoration, but the core should be something destructible like glass.
That way you have the wallet inside and the public key outside.
to get the bitcoins from the coin you have to break it. If you don't break it, the coin keeps it's value.

-on a side note, I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right sub forum. Please move it if it is not appropriate in here.

We are just finishing up our website and waiting for packaging for a coin with a very similar utility. More to come over the next week.

http://www.coldco.in/uploads/5/1/2/2/5122901/6529568_orig.jpghttp://www.coldco.in/uploads/5/1/2/2/5122901/2712039_orig.jpghttp://www.coldco.in/uploads/5/1/2/2/5122901/7800657_orig.jpghttp://www.coldco.in/uploads/5/1/2/2/5122901/1339889_orig.jpg
mameise

Activity: 561
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 09:46:34 PM

Wow thats looking great. where will you post information about that coin?
don't want to miss it!! at a good price i would love to buy some.
ColdCoin

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2014, 09:59:57 PM

Wow thats looking great. where will you post information about that coin?
don't want to miss it!! at a good price i would love to buy some.

Thank you. I hope it becomes a meaningful contribution for the community.

As for price, they were VERY expensive to produce, so they wont be at token prices. But for someone that wants to polish their bitcoin and stare at them way too much, it might be a nice treat.

I guess I'll be announcing here.... somewhere.

On the same note, there was recently someone that sold metal wallets at coldcoins.co that couldn't deliver and left several people waiting for an overdue refund. That  is not me. coldco.in is me. We already had our coins at the mint when he registered his domain and had his website up within a few hours... I hope his rep doesn't cause us too much damage.
takagari
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 07:27:44 PM

That looks cool.

I'd love to see something like on "Almost Human"
more of a thumb stick with outside code, maybe crack it to remove the private key?

I'd like to get away from the coin look Smiley
dopey

Activity: 1008
Merit: 514

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 09:49:33 PM

I love innovation, great idea you two, I'll be keeping an eye out to see how it all progresses.
gogodr (OP)

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 10:17:18 PM

ColdCoin
That one looks amazing but the utility is totally different.
Your product is a very nice bitcoin case. What I'm looking for is an actual coin that would only keep it's value if the bitcoin itself is still inside.
That's why I'm thinking about doing it with class and putting the bitcoin private address inside the actual glass. (glass injection molding)
So that the only way to get the bitcoin out is by breaking the coin itself.
gogodr (OP)

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 09:01:49 PM

I received some feedback and just hiding the private key inside is not a good idea because of counterfeiting.
Someone could make multiple coins with one of my coins public keys.

I devised an strategy to go around this though. Might need to put a small computer (can be something as small as an RFID or an NFC revice) that could sign a message at will (have a button within the coin that would trigger the action of signing a message) it can be a number that increments on each time the button is pressed.
ColdCoin

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2014, 12:44:56 AM

ColdCoin
That one looks amazing but the utility is totally different.
Your product is a very nice bitcoin case. What I'm looking for is an actual coin that would only keep it's value if the bitcoin itself is still inside.
That's why I'm thinking about doing it with class and putting the bitcoin private address inside the actual glass. (glass injection molding)
So that the only way to get the bitcoin out is by breaking the coin itself.

Yeah, the more I thought through using it as a destructible, the less it made sense.

You have a great concept. I love the infused glass technique. I hope you run with it.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: