Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 06:10:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: USPS Shutdown  (Read 2840 times)
Opsamk (OP)

Activity: 122
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 06, 2011, 02:46:10 AM

Any ideas what this could do to bitcoin?

1GPsFkReoJi8isJk1Vyry7NVnL2qpaC9Ja

Feeling generous? Send me some bits Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ineededausername

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
September 06, 2011, 02:55:00 AM

Any ideas what this could do to bitcoin?

you send your bitcoins via time capsule?

and here i am transferring them instantly over the net like a sucker.

fix'd

(BFL)^2 < 0
Minsc

Activity: 210

View Profile
September 06, 2011, 02:56:45 AM

Not instant.  Takes hours.

1DcXvfJdeJch9uptKopte5XQarTtj5ZjpL
Opsamk (OP)

View Profile
September 06, 2011, 02:59:11 AM

Some people here have no choice but to use money orders and sometimes mail cash. And a lot of people here use USPS to mail products cheaply.

pekv2

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
September 06, 2011, 04:27:07 AM

I was worried about this. But a while ago they said it was suppose to shutdown, it didn't. Hopefully it doesn't, as I use USPS quite often "used it once to mail off an item to a forum member here", it will be more of a challenge to use UPS rather than USPS for my area. I've never had a problem with either but USPS rocks.

It'll most likely have an impact on bitcoin quite a bit.
Opsamk (OP)

View Profile
September 06, 2011, 06:51:06 AM

Well this time it looks like a dire situation. Since congress can't decide on anything, it looks like USPS is stuck on a sinking boat.

Meatball

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 06, 2011, 11:56:51 AM

80% of the USPS costs is in Labor, and you know why?  The labor union at the USPS had a "No Layoff" clause written into their contract.  That's just idiotic. 
pekv2

View Profile
September 06, 2011, 02:28:26 PM

They say it could shutdown sometime during winter.  Undecided That sux if they cannot get the $5.5 billion payment due this month for retirees.

Bush f*&^%$ this country up and drained it. Obama comes in, everybody blames Obama for the shit. How stupid could one be?
Meatball

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 06, 2011, 02:30:55 PM

Eh, whatever, it's just as much Obama's fault as it is Bush's.  All the politicians are a bunch of scheisters and Obama claiming he 'inherited' all this is getting a little bit old.  He had two years that he could pass whatever he wanted, and he did.  It didn't work.  He needs to man up and take the blame instead of crying that it was someone else's fault.
Mistafreeze

Activity: 897
Merit: 284

View Profile
September 06, 2011, 02:37:24 PM

They say it could shutdown sometime during winter.  Undecided That sux if they cannot get the $5.5 billion payment due this month for retirees.

Bush f*&^%$ this country up and drained it. Obama comes in, everybody blames Obama for the shit. How stupid could one be?

You really might want to get your information on your own rather than being spoon-fed from the media and talking points. This isn't Bush or Obama, it started decades ago and nobody stepped in to stop it. And before you say Clinton had a surplus....no, he didn't. Again, to recent....much, much, much further back.
pekv2

View Profile
September 06, 2011, 02:41:36 PM

Only took 8 years for Bush to drain it. Obama is going on 1 full term, shy of a few months, I doubt anyone could fix the problem in 1 term.
Mistafreeze

View Profile
September 06, 2011, 02:59:41 PM

Only took 8 years for Bush to drain it. Obama is going on 1 full term, shy of a few months, I doubt anyone could fix the problem in 1 term.

Please tell me you don't vote. If you can't even look up what it is you're complaining about you shouldn't open your mouth. The one thing that seems to be getting missed by certain people is that you can't reduce debt by spending more money. During Bush' presidency, the debt went from $5.768 trillion to $10.626 trillion. ($607 billion/ year). During the first 2 1/2 years of Obama, it's gone up to $14.071 trillion ($1.723 trillion per year). I wouldn't be using Bush's debt as a talking point anymore. Congress has been controlled by the left since 2006. Guess who spends the money. Oops.

Obama can't fix this because his ideology is getting in the way. Get the government out of the private sector, stop paying people to sit at home and pop out 67 kids, and put time limits on welfare....guess what would happen? Instead, we need a healthcare bill that will further hurt the economy and bring DOWN the standard of care in this country. We fight for the Dream Act to send the children of illegals to college with tax payer money. Amnesty. Great idea there. And don't forget stopping gays from getting married. Holy fuck, that might cause....I'm not even sure what the fear is over this. Why other people are so concerned with the places others are putting their dicks is beyond me. The liberal mindset does not work in reality. While we would all love for everybody to have the exact same amount of everything, everybody to have a home, everybody to drive a Bentley, it can't happen. Guess what sunshine, less than half of the population of the US works for a living. It's simple math that they can't pay for the rest of the country to sit on their asses. How is this so complicated?

This isn't a problem with the left or the right, it's all of them. The corruption is running rampant, and you are one of the sheep that keeps feeding the monster.

The only way to fix the economy is to get the government out of the way. More regulation and more federal spending will only drive us further in. It doesn't take an economist to see that.

Look at the USPS, EPA, Dept. of Education, FEMA, etc for example. Anything the federal government is involved in turns into an over-regulated bureaucratic disaster.

pekv2

View Profile
September 06, 2011, 03:10:25 PM

Please tell me you don't vote. If you can't even look up what it is you're complaining about you shouldn't open your mouth.

o.o I stopped reading at the second sentence, could you be more ignorant please?
Jixtreme

Activity: 121

View Profile
September 06, 2011, 03:18:29 PM

Yay, Politics.

Here's the final word: everyone in Washington is a douchebag, now STFU.

Keep politics out of the Bitcoin Forums, plz. Or at least the Speculation thread.
Mistafreeze

View Profile
September 06, 2011, 04:55:35 PM

Please tell me you don't vote. If you can't even look up what it is you're complaining about you shouldn't open your mouth.

o.o I stopped reading at the second sentence, could you be more ignorant please?

I'm shocked :|
hmongotaku

Activity: 168

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2011, 05:05:56 PM

instead of bankruptcy.. they should kick the retirees with the "no free rides"... and also mandate a "workload" per pay check incentive. Maybe kick the union out and lower wages like those of public servants. 

legolouman

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

Decent Programmer to boot!

View Profile
September 06, 2011, 05:48:32 PM

Please tell me you don't vote. If you can't even look up what it is you're complaining about you shouldn't open your mouth. The one thing that seems to be getting missed by certain people is that you can't reduce debt by spending more money. During Bush' presidency, the debt went from $5.768 trillion to $10.626 trillion. ($607 billion/ year). During the first 2 1/2 years of Obama, it's gone up to $14.071 trillion ($1.723 trillion per year). I wouldn't be using Bush's debt as a talking point anymore. Congress has been controlled by the left since 2006. Guess who spends the money. Oops.

Obama can't fix this because his ideology is getting in the way. Get the government out of the private sector, stop paying people to sit at home and pop out 67 kids, and put time limits on welfare....guess what would happen? Instead, we need a healthcare bill that will further hurt the economy and bring DOWN the standard of care in this country. We fight for the Dream Act to send the children of illegals to college with tax payer money. Amnesty. Great idea there. And don't forget stopping gays from getting married. Holy fuck, that might cause....I'm not even sure what the fear is over this. Why other people are so concerned with the places others are putting their dicks is beyond me. The liberal mindset does not work in reality. While we would all love for everybody to have the exact same amount of everything, everybody to have a home, everybody to drive a Bentley, it can't happen. Guess what sunshine, less than half of the population of the US works for a living. It's simple math that they can't pay for the rest of the country to sit on their asses. How is this so complicated?

This isn't a problem with the left or the right, it's all of them. The corruption is running rampant, and you are one of the sheep that keeps feeding the monster.

The only way to fix the economy is to get the government out of the way. More regulation and more federal spending will only drive us further in. It doesn't take an economist to see that.

Look at the USPS, EPA, Dept. of Education, FEMA, etc for example. Anything the federal government is involved in turns into an over-regulated bureaucratic disaster.

You couldn't have said it better. Join us, and together we will rule the galaxy. Well not really, but you should consider yourself Anonymous.

If you love me, you'd give me a Satoshi!
BTC - 1MSzGKh5znbrcEF2qTrtrWBm4ydH5eT49f
LTC - LYeJrmYQQvt6gRQxrDz66XTwtkdodx9udz
Serge
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 06, 2011, 06:43:42 PM

what stops someone like UPS or FedEx step up and buy it off, re-organize, optimize and continue on?

Postal service is widely used and will be on for quite some time.  What's inconvenient is going to a postal office, most of the time than not you have to wait in line for simple things like buying stamps or getting labels for your package and waiting in line can take some time. Postal offices need to improve on their customer service, automate most of simple tasks like weighting and printing label or a stamp on a package or envelope
makomk

Activity: 686
Merit: 564

View Profile
September 06, 2011, 06:59:34 PM

Please tell me you don't vote. If you can't even look up what it is you're complaining about you shouldn't open your mouth. The one thing that seems to be getting missed by certain people is that you can't reduce debt by spending more money.
This is fairly obviously false. For example, suppose you're unemployed and are offered a job paying $40,000/year, but in order to take the job you need to borrow money to buy a car. The same can be true at the national level; if spending more money increases tax income by more than the amount spent in the long run it helps to reduce the national debt.

Quad XC6SLX150 Board: 860 MHash/s or so.
SIGS ABOUT BUTTERFLY LABS ARE PAID ADS
Raize
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1419
Merit: 1015

View Profile
September 06, 2011, 07:19:00 PM

USPS is how I got my yubikey. If it goes down I'm not sure how I'm going to get all my tech gadgets direct from China anymore.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: