Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 01:36:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [2018-05-22] "The blockchain's killer app is trading"  (Read 114 times)
gentlemand (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3008

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
May 22, 2018, 06:51:42 PM

https://tradingplacesnewsletter.com/move-over-crypto-enthusiasts-wall-street-will-take-it-from-here-5b5a9067bc5

Despite the odiousness of the headline, so far they're right about there being no real world applications beyond trading and this article certainly paints a picture of Wall St starting to have some fun.

How balls deep do you think they are?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3071

View Profile
May 22, 2018, 08:57:28 PM

There's no point trading something that doesn't have a purpose.

But Bitcoin does have a purpose: transfer. The most common type of transfer is international: either to avoid fees, capital controls or economic sanctions. Without that demand, there would be no multi-billion dollar monetary base, and Bitcoin would be just a speculative bubble that died a long time ago.

Vires in numeris
Xavofat

Activity: 938
Merit: 559

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?

View Profile
May 22, 2018, 09:13:07 PM

Without that demand, there would be no multi-billion dollar monetary base, and Bitcoin would be just a speculative bubble that died a long time ago.
An asset can have a significant value and still experience speculative bubbles - I think Bitcoin is an example of this. 

The majority of Bitcoin owners that I'm aware of seem to hold their coins primarily for the purpose of investment and do not typically use Bitcoin in situations when it would be more efficient to use it for transfer.  If they do decide to use it effectively, it's often just one or two times or just to display the potential usage to others.

With the lack of major businesses and businessmen claiming to be using Bitcoin regularly for transfer, I doubt that its use for transfer or any other perceived use case is in the billions.

odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3200

View Profile
May 22, 2018, 11:05:22 PM

https://tradingplacesnewsletter.com/move-over-crypto-enthusiasts-wall-street-will-take-it-from-here-5b5a9067bc5

Despite the odiousness of the headline, so far they're right about there being no real world applications beyond trading and this article certainly paints a picture of Wall St starting to have some fun.

How balls deep do you think they are?

First, I don't believe that there are "no real world applications beyond trading". The people that believe this will be losers in the end. I agree with Carlton Banks. If something has no value, it can't be worth trading. The ignorance is a tragedy.

Second, the irony is that these wall street firms think they have it good, but they are going to be hurting as cryptocurrencies become widely adopted and decentralized trading becomes the norm. They will no longer have a role.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
gentlemand (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3008

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
May 22, 2018, 11:12:14 PM

First, I don't believe that there are "no real world applications beyond trading". The people that believe this will be losers in the end. I agree with Carlton Banks. If something has no value, it can't be worth trading. The ignorance is a tragedy.

Of course there will be in future, and there is right now but only for people who are already mired in the cult. I wouldn't class that as real world.

It's obvious many people do value it, but that value is based largely, or not too far off entirely, on a future that hasn't arrived yet.

Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3071

View Profile
May 23, 2018, 10:45:44 AM

With the lack of major businesses and businessmen claiming to be using Bitcoin regularly for transfer, I doubt that its use for transfer or any other perceived use case is in the billions.

Huh

Estimates of $ denominated daily transaction volumes literally are in the billions range, since 2017 at least. This cannot be all people sending money to themselves, some significant proportion will be commerce.

Of course there will be in future, and there is right now but only for people who are already mired in the cult. I wouldn't class that as real world.

It's obvious many people do value it, but that value is based largely, or not too far off entirely, on a future that hasn't arrived yet.

This is the solipsistic point of view, "I don't see it, therefore it's not happening". You've only got to look at this forum to see real Bitcoin commerce taking place, or go to a country like Czech Republic, where there is considerable anxiety about having a local currency that goes through alarming drops in the FX market; subsequently, Bitcoin is probably more used in Czech Republic than anywhere.

Defeat your lack of imagination with this thought experiment: the world exists beyond your everyday experiences! Amazing, isn't it!

Vires in numeris
davis196

Activity: 2954
Merit: 905

View Profile
May 23, 2018, 11:20:23 AM

There's no point trading something that doesn't have a purpose.

But Bitcoin does have a purpose: transfer. The most common type of transfer is international: either to avoid fees, capital controls or economic sanctions. Without that demand, there would be no multi-billion dollar monetary base, and Bitcoin would be just a speculative bubble that died a long time ago.

I would say that trading financial assets (including cryptocurrencies) is a process of buying and selling risk.
The "bears" are selling risk and the "bulls" are buying it.But risk=profit.
You are  right about main purpose of crypto.People want a safe,irreversible and anonymous way to transfer value online.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: