Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 11:41:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 2 problems with Bitcoin  (Read 3998 times)
FandangledGizmo
Legendary

Activity: 1138
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 01:03:56 AM

Well gold derives it's main intrinsic value from it's efficacy as a medium of exchange - as a money. But to keep it simple, most commodities have an obvious intrinsic value. Lumber can be used to build houses and furniture, grain can be used as food, and oil for energy and a variety of industrial purposes.

For the loaves example, bread's intrinsic value is obviously as a food source.

Yeah, but we are discussing the economic value of goods and not its utility. Your example is consistent, but it not demonstrate that intrinsic (economic) value are absolute for two identical loaf of breads.

So it doesn't matter what the input costs were for both loaves of bread. If both loaves are indistinguishable when finished then they have the same intrinsic value as a source of food.

Of course it matter, we are discussing economy here.

Our definitions of intrinsic value are clearly different and we'll have to agree to disagree.

On another subject Bitcoin certainly has some unique values

- Largest global digital payment system capable of operating even if the current financial system seizes up.
- Decentralised, verifiable unit of account which removes the need to trust banks/governments/3rd Parties.
- Currently cheapest form of international remittance.

I'm sure there's a few more.

dissident

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 01:32:55 AM

it's fun just to be able to trade and mess with these currencies without having to worry about taxes on each transaction. US government tax code is so obnoxious it makes me not want to do anything recordable (frequent trading of stocks) but bitcoin.. I can just buy and sell, no paper trail.

As for mt gox having higher bitcoin prices... because it takes forever to withdraw funds, higher risk means a built in premium. Only an idiot would buy bitcoins from mt gox at those prices. I'd trust BTC-E's spot price far more... most are in line with that. Mt Gox can be ignored.
R2D221

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 04:43:23 AM

The OP is long gone... why is this thread still active?

An economy based on endless growth is unsustainable.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  

Jump to: