Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 04:09:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How much will BTC be worth when it replaces what percentage of fiat?  (Read 3025 times)
porcupine87

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

hm

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 04:34:51 PM

I have heard if BTC replaces all fiat money in the world, 1BTC would be worth approximately 1 million $ (I have also heard 2 million $, so maybe that 1 million is more on the lower side).

I have estimated that if BTC hits 1 million dollars in the next 3 years, mining will be so profitable that miners can spend up to 3.6$ billion every day in electricity.  So there will be billions of dollars worth of Bitcoins hitting the exchanges every day. 

Exchanges? What exchanges? With being so expensive who would pay your super market, Amazon.com, your employees, your dentist, your mother with Bitcoin and only would receive Bitcoin. What exchanges?

More interessting would be, how much electricity would get wasted and how many hardware. Bitcoin would be much more secure than it would be necessary...

"Morality, it could be argued, represents the way that people would like the world to work - whereas economics represents how it actually does work." Freakonomics
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
allthingsluxury
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2014, 06:02:10 PM

I doubt anyone would be able to accurately predict this.

Dr Bloggood (OP)

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 07:29:32 PM

I have heard if BTC replaces all fiat money in the world, 1BTC would be worth approximately 1 million $ (I have also heard 2 million $, so maybe that 1 million is more on the lower side).

I have estimated that if BTC hits 1 million dollars in the next 3 years, mining will be so profitable that miners can spend up to 3.6$ billion every day in electricity.  So there will be billions of dollars worth of Bitcoins hitting the exchanges every day. 

But there is always the same number of BTCs coming into existance every day, no matter what they are worth, right? So I don't see how spending more on mining brings more BTCs into existance.
pietje

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 07:34:02 PM

But there is always the same number of BTCs coming into existance every day, no matter what they are worth, right? So I don't see how spending more on mining brings more BTCs into existance.

Yea true, actually it becomes smaller when block rewards half.
But as bitcoin value is 1 million, the bitcoins going into the market are maybe worthmore then now.
Dr Bloggood (OP)

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 07:45:08 PM

Yea true, actually it becomes smaller when block rewards half.
But as bitcoin value is 1 million, the bitcoins going into the market are maybe worthmore then now.

Ok, I see. That's obvious though, and they will do much less to the market than they would do now.
mestar

Activity: 407

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 08:42:24 PM

Exchanges? What exchanges? With being so expensive who would pay your super market, Amazon.com, your employees, your dentist, your mother with Bitcoin and only would receive Bitcoin. What exchanges?

More interessting would be, how much electricity would get wasted and how many hardware. Bitcoin would be much more secure than it would be necessary...

You got a point there.  But, until you can pay your utility bills in Bitcoins, mining costs will push the price of Bitcoin down.
mestar

Activity: 407

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 08:46:40 PM

"Billions of dollars worth of Bitcoins" in this case does not mean more bitcoins.  If one Bitcoin is selling for 1 million, then daily 3600 Bitcoins becomes $3.6 billion. 
Zarathustra
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 01:40:19 PM

Thanks for that post - now that's something to work with!
The Gross World Product (GWP) is currently around 80 trillion US$. (That's a US trillion, a British billion.)

Wouldn't the GWP be all the money the world economy turned over in a given period of time? How is that related to M2, M3 or whatever?

When you got some money on your account or under your mattress, it counts for the M's, but doesn't do anything, so doesn't count for the GWP.

Worldwide money (which is debt) is 200 Trillion.
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 11:47:26 PM

Bitcoin will never replace fiat.   Fiat will always be used for a large number of transaction, Bitcoin and other cryptos can strive to be the best alternative, but there is no way for a virtual currency to replace a physical currency, when not everyone on the planet has an internet connection.
Dr Bloggood (OP)

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 12:30:03 AM

Thanks for that post - now that's something to work with!
The Gross World Product (GWP) is currently around 80 trillion US$. (That's a US trillion, a British billion.)

Wouldn't the GWP be all the money the world economy turned over in a given period of time? How is that related to M2, M3 or whatever?

When you got some money on your account or under your mattress, it counts for the M's, but doesn't do anything, so doesn't count for the GWP.

Worldwide money (which is debt) is 200 Trillion.

With "money" defined as what (M2, M3,...)?

Source?
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: