Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 09:29:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin QT wallet password issues  (Read 1529 times)
kulivoko (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 11:00:34 AM

Hello Everyone,

what has happened to me. I recently installed bitcoin wallet last version, its probably more then a year ago that I had installed first bitcoin QT wallet. I didn't realize that I already have one installed and during the installation of new one, there was no question about prevoius versions on my pc. My old wallet probably was encrypted with password that I cannot remember. They have both synchronized and now my new wallet is part of old and before I checked I send bitcoins to my new wallet. Guess what? When I tried to send my btc out of wallet, it asked  me for PASSWORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK , what? I never set any in the new wallet, thanks Wallet QT shit, for stealing my btc, forever good bye my btc's.

Any solutions? Hints to not happen again? I lost amount equal to 100 000 USD. I am desperate. Can anyone also please ask the retarded developers to implement such a simple solution to never have this situation happened again?

IF I lost my btc forever I don't want anyone to lose their this idiots way again too. I am really pissed off, sorry the bad words, I cannot help myself, its too much money.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
garcias

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 11:44:11 AM

It request you 1 password but you dont remember what they can do?
Im a newbie too but if you dont remember your password...  Undecided
Try to remember what you use
write things you  normally use as password   Huh
As i said i cant help you maybe someone with more knowledge can...

Support DigiByte Smiley
DGB:DLLC7PPEZ7zxnB1RJd9hsvwr1HdJxFfGcb

this is a scam:
69.5 BTC

[/quote
BookLover

Activity: 533
Merit: 500

^Bitcoin Library of Congress.

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 04:02:21 PM
Last edit: January 23, 2014, 12:17:13 AM by BookLover

Depending on the length of your password it may be possible to brute force your wallet.  If you can't remember your password I would look into this option.

DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4653

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 05:25:56 PM

$100 000?  Really?

If that's true, then you should probably take some time to think about possible passwords you might have used in the past.

Humans are creatures of habit.  It is quite likely that you have a typical method that you use to create passwords.

Do you never use numbers?
Do you always use numbers?
Do you sometimes use numbers?
Do you never use punctuation?
Do you always use punctuation?
Do you sometimes use punctuation?
Do you never use CAPITAL letters?
Do you always use CAPITAL letters?
Do you sometimes use CAPITAL letters?
Do you never use lowercase letters?
Do you always use lowercase letters?
Do you sometimes use lowercase letters?
Do you never use dictionary words?
Do you always use dictionary words?
Do you sometimes use dictionary words?
Do you use patterns on the keyboard?
Do you use topics and concepts that are important to you (family names, favorite things, hobbies, dates)?
Do your passwords follow a pattern (such as NumberWordPunctuationDate)?

If you can remember enough information about how you typically create passwords, then it might be possible to brute force the remaining possibilities.
If you can remember enough information specifically about how you created your bitcoin password, it will be quite likely that you can brute-force the remaining possibilites.
CaptainBeck

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 05:28:09 PM

Whats the address of this wallet??

Try every password you can remember for everything from bank acounts to emails and you phone.
kulivoko (OP)

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 05:59:28 PM

I remember I was playing with the first wallet and I said to myself, ok It must be very safe password, so its combination of some of my favourite passwords + numbers + special characters + upper lower characters and the length around +20 Sad . It was logical back then but today 1-2 years later I have no chance, I even tried writing them on paper all my favourite words + number combinations + characters that can possibly fit into my stupid logic, but there are so many options Sad . I have now backup of my wallet and it will be probably a part of my last will. With Wall street expectation that BTC could reach 400 000$ in 2100, it might be a nice heritage for my descendants. Or I just need to wait for better computing power to come or any other solutions. I have cooled down a lot now, its not the end of the world and its not completely lost, maybe lost for me but still my descendants might find it useful Smiley
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 06:20:48 PM

I remember I was playing with the first wallet and I said to myself, ok It must be very safe password, so its combination of some of my favourite passwords + numbers + special characters + upper lower characters and the length around +20 Sad . It was logical back then but today 1-2 years later I have no chance, I even tried writing them on paper all my favourite words + number combinations + characters that can possibly fit into my stupid logic, but there are so many options Sad . I have now backup of my wallet and it will be probably a part of my last will. With Wall street expectation that BTC could reach 400 000$ in 2100, it might be a nice heritage for my descendants. Or I just need to wait for better computing power to come or any other solutions. I have cooled down a lot now, its not the end of the world and its not completely lost, maybe lost for me but still my descendants might find it useful Smiley

Keep writing down anything you think of:

Number of characters, possible words, special characters that you know you would NEVER use, special characters that you are likely to use.

All of this information will be helpful to your descendants when they hire someone to write a program that cycles through all possibilities.  The more information you have about what is likely true and what is definitely false about the password, the more likely that a brute-force program will be successful.

You say it is "length around +20".
Can you say that it is definitely less than 100 characters?  How about 50? 30? 25? 22?
Can you say that it is definitely more than 3 characters? How out 8? 12? 18?

Is it likely to be mostly lowercase with a few uppercase, or is it likely to be mostly uppercase with a few lowercase?  Perhaps it's likely to be an even split?
It half of it special characters? 90% of it special characters?Only 1 or two special characters?

Is likely to be a single dictionary word? Two dictionary words?

Keep thinking, keep writing.

The more details you can think of the better the chance that it can be found someday.

kulivoko (OP)

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 06:26:06 PM

Keep writing down anything you think of:

Number of characters, possible words, special characters that you know you would NEVER use, special characters that you are likely to use.

All of this information will be helpful to your descendants when they hire someone to write a program that cycles through all possibilities.  The more information you have about what is likely true and what is definitely false about the password, the more likely that a brute-force program will be successful.

You say it is "length around +20".
Can you say that it is definitely less than 100 characters?  How about 50? 30? 25? 22?
Can you say that it is definitely more than 3 characters? How out 8? 12? 18?

Is it likely to be mostly lowercase with a few uppercase, or is it likely to be mostly uppercase with a few lowercase?  Perhaps it's likely to be an even split?
It half of it special characters? 90% of it special characters?Only 1 or two special characters?

Is likely to be a single dictionary word? Two dictionary words?

Keep thinking, keep writing.

The more details you can think of the better the chance that it can be found someday.

This is what I am doing now, I am writing my favourite words , characters, some examples of combinations, where it might be lower, upper case, which numbers I like to use, which special characters I used to use and so on. But in the morning I felt like I am having a heart attack Sad , when I realized it my wallet is asking for password although I never set any...
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 07:16:38 PM

This is what I am doing now, I am writing my favourite words , characters, some examples of combinations, where it might be lower, upper case, which numbers I like to use, which special characters I used to use and so on. But in the morning I felt like I am having a heart attack Sad , when I realized it my wallet is asking for password although I never set any...

The human memory tends to be very associative.

You may find that it will help to think about other things that were going on in your life when you created the original wallet more than a year ago.  What time of year did you create it?  Was it near a holiday? Was it during a particular season?  What event caused you to try installing a wallet back then?  Did you ever try receiving or sending any bitcoins with that wallet?  If so, where from and where to?  Thinking about sights, sounds, smells, and experiences that happened near the same time as the creation of the wallet can bring back associations in your memory that will help you realize more about the password you might have chosen.

For $100 000, I'd even consider talking to a well respected and experienced hypno-therapist.  Even if they can't use hypnotism to bring back the memory of creating the password, they might at least be able to help you think calmly about it so that anxiety and panic don't cloud your memory.
kulivoko (OP)

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 09:47:51 PM

The human memory tends to be very associative.

You may find that it will help to think about other things that were going on in your life when you created the original wallet more than a year ago.  What time of year did you create it?  Was it near a holiday? Was it during a particular season?  What event caused you to try installing a wallet back then?  Did you ever try receiving or sending any bitcoins with that wallet?  If so, where from and where to?  Thinking about sights, sounds, smells, and experiences that happened near the same time as the creation of the wallet can bring back associations in your memory that will help you realize more about the password you might have chosen.

For $100 000, I'd even consider talking to a well respected and experienced hypno-therapist.  Even if they can't use hypnotism to bring back the memory of creating the password, they might at least be able to help you think calmly about it so that anxiety and panic don't cloud your memory.

Believe me I was trying all that, despite the hypno therapist. The money in BTC is not lost, still on the wallet, nice and safe, so safe that actually even I cannot reach them now. My password didn't make sense, its nothing what you could memorize, its just pieces of passwords and nonsenses. And its difficult to make sense in nonsense.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: