Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 12:39:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Minimum hardware requirements for Litecoin/Alts mining  (Read 6038 times)
inni (OP)

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 01:08:26 PM

Afternoon all,

Looking to get into mining and was advised to try LiteCoin mining as mining for BTC isnt worth it at the moment.
I've been planning on getting a media pc built for a while now which got my thinking about using this for mining too.
I know for LiteCoin mining its all about the GPU - this is correct right?
If thats correct, what is the minimum ATI card I should go for to start LiteCoin mining - I dont have a big budget as I still need to purchase the powersupply/case but was thinking of getting the R9 270 card.
Is the R9 270 card viable for mining - I dont expect to be making big amounts of money but would like to at least make a little profit if possible.
I think this card gives out around 400+ hash when checking stats - guess my question is whats the minimum hash rate needed to make a little profit without spending silly money if thats even possible for Litecoin mining.
My max budget on a card will be around £150.
I know I need to take into account electricity etc but the idea of this rig is that its going to be on all the time anyway so might as well get mining on it.
When the money situation gets better I could add a 2nd card to the rig I guess.
Hope someone can advise which will be much appreciated.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
vpasic

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 03:35:18 PM

not worth of mining with gpu-s anymore. gpu-s are too expensive and sucking up a bunch of electricity. even if you have free electricity there is not time to make ROI till scrypt asic run you over.
you can sell your gpu after mining??? think again. there will be buch of people selling them since mining with them will be unprofitable so selling them will be like winning the lottery.
in your case mining with one gpu is specially pointless.
with 400kh you can earn 0.1LTC/day so with diff rise it will be something like 2.5LTC.
2.5LTC is $60.
$60 of income and your computer running 24/7 and mining will suck up around $60-$65 of electricity every month. with every day diff will rise more and more and your earnings will be less and less and you power consumption will stay the same.
so you can forget about whole thing.
sorry dude.

Tips: 1Ejj8eANy2PLZVwrWUczkbQ8kQY2JhKqp6
inni (OP)

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 08:38:14 PM

thanks for the reply.
So is this asics actually happening as there hasnt been anything officially announced..or has there?
I take it these devices will be rather expensive when they finally arrive so may not be viable for newbie miners like myself?
So if single card gpu mining isnt viable due to these new asic devices coming do I just give up thinking about mining altogether?
Wipeout2097

Activity: 840
Merit: 255

SportsIcon - Connect With Your Sports Heroes

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 11:13:36 PM

Go for the R9-270, yes.

You only mine if/when you want, and you'll learn. If mining it's for you, then invest further on a dedicated rig. If not, enjoy it's capabilities for gaming and multimedia.

Edit: ^ $65 worth of power costs per month, for a machine using 300W?  Roll Eyes

███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██▀       ▀█       ▀████████████        ▀█         █▀       ▀██
██   ▀██▄▄▄█   ██   ████████████   ███   ████   ████   ▀██▄▄▄██
███▄     ▀██       ▄████████████       ▄█████   █████▄     ▀███
██▀▀▀██▄   █   █████████████████   █▄  ▀█████   ████▀▀▀██▄   ██
██▄       ▄█   █████████████████   ██▄  ▀████   ████▄       ▄██
██       ██▀      ▀█████████████    ▀██   █████████████████████
████   ███   ▄██▄   ████████████     ▀█   █████████████████████
████   ███   ████████   ████   █   ▄  ▀   █████████████████████
████   ███   ▀██▀   █   ████   █   █▄     █████████████████████
██       ██▄      ▄███        ██   ██▄    █████████████████████
██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████████
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████                                                             ████████████████████████████████████████████████

████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████          ████████████████                                 ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████████
███████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████
███████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████
►►  Powered by
BOUNTY
DETECTIVE
Slaxt

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

Gone......

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 11:25:56 PM

Your card should mine 800kh/s on Radioactivecoin.

TC is the worse thing to happen to default, needs to open his eyes and not jump to conclusions, not everyone lies!!! Anyway as promised I have left, pass word changed to long random which I will forget like that plonker who ruined a perfectly fine account.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: