Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 09:01:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The REAL reason price went down and why it will go up  (Read 4594 times)
RyNinDaCleM
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1009

Legen -wait for it- dary

View Profile
September 09, 2011, 08:31:56 AM

Come one traders, take a lick of that $5.95 bid wall.  You know you want to.  Tastes delicious.

That's the wall that belongs to the one rich guy called The Manipulator.  When he wakes up Friday morning, he will remove it.
This is what I was thinking! He said, "I 'm done playing for tonight" and left a 6000BTC wall, to hold his place for the night!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The_Duke

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

Lead Core BitKitty Developer

View Profile
September 09, 2011, 09:31:39 AM
Last edit: September 09, 2011, 09:45:41 AM by The_Duke

nvm

NOT a member of the so called ''Bitcoin Foundation''. Choose Independence!

Donate to the BitKitty Foundation instead! -> 1Fd4yLneGmxRHnPi6WCMC2hAMzaWvDePF9 <-
The_Duke

View Profile
September 09, 2011, 12:00:54 PM

Just waving *hi* to technomage from $5.5 $5.2 Wink

Donate to the BitKitty Foundation instead! -> 1Fd4yLneGmxRHnPi6WCMC2hAMzaWvDePF9 <-
michaelmclees

Activity: 633
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 09, 2011, 12:14:20 PM

Just waving *hi* to technomage from $5.5 $5.2 Wink

But c'mon.  It will only take someone buying 10 coins to bring the price up to 5.99.  LOL.

I think I've finally learned how to read the bottom part of the bitcoinity.org site.  Instead of saying, "It will take this many coins to make the price X," you should be saying, "X many people are betting the price will eventually get here."  So while it is intuitive to see a shallow line on the buy side and say that is where the price is going because it will take so little to make the price go up, I'm now saying the "buy wall" is a huge indicator that the price will go down to at least that point.
The_Duke

View Profile
September 09, 2011, 01:45:15 PM

Waving again from $4.8!

NEVER BELOW $6... Cheesy

Technomage (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056

Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2011, 02:41:49 PM

Waving again from $4.8!

NEVER BELOW $6... Cheesy
Just find the quote of me saying never below $6. Never said anything like that. The only strong statement from me is that I think a stable price below $5 is fairly impossible right now. A spike below $5 is a different story and we already hit it. We'll have to wait a little to see where the price stabilizes if it does at all.

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
makomk

Activity: 686
Merit: 564

View Profile
September 09, 2011, 04:51:08 PM

Nice try OP, but it seems the graph everyone is creaming over lags the actual price cahnge by weeks.
So it seems the interest in bitcoin is very much related to the price.
The ammount of transactions is a consequence of the price, not the other way around.
At least, thats what i see.
That makes sense. The more the price drops, the less anyone is going to be willing to do business in Bitcoins for fear their coins will lose their value, and the less interesting it is to speculators in for a quick buck.

Quad XC6SLX150 Board: 860 MHash/s or so.
SIGS ABOUT BUTTERFLY LABS ARE PAID ADS
bitcon
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1008

View Profile
September 09, 2011, 04:56:33 PM

i'd be more willing to do business for bitcoins right now if i knew this was the bottom.
Technomage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2011, 06:45:42 PM

It's 2 months since my original post and I still think that looking at the transaction count is relevant. In fact 9 months ago we had 10% the transactions we have now and surprisingly the price was almost exactly 10% of what it is now.

Right now we are seeing, at least temporarily, a stabilization in the decline of daily transactions. We actually have a clear uptrend for the last few weeks and multiple recent highs that are higher than anything in the last 1,5 months.

http://blockchain.info/charts/n-transactions

This doesn't mean that Bitcoin won't decline further. The stabilization could be temporary and we might see another decline to a final bottom in both transactions and price. But in the short term at least we have reached a very solid bottom. The price bottom of $2.04 has been solid as well. The transaction bottom was at 4708, right now the weekly average is around 5800 transactions with the lows staying above 5k.

I'm not especially bullish right now but this indicator is looking great, it hasn't been this strong since the peak. If I could get some good news regarding the bank issues exchanges have been experiencing and something promising related to Bitcoin adoption, I just might revert to super bull again.

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 11, 2011, 07:26:50 PM

It's 2 months since my original post and I still think that looking at the transaction count is relevant. In fact 9 months ago we had 10% the transactions we have now and surprisingly the price was almost exactly 10% of what it is now.

Right now we are seeing, at least temporarily, a stabilization in the decline of daily transactions. We actually have a clear uptrend for the last few weeks and multiple recent highs that are higher than anything in the last 1,5 months.

This doesn't mean that Bitcoin won't decline further. The stabilization could be temporary and we might see another decline to a final bottom in both transactions and price. But in the short term at least we have reached a very solid bottom. The price bottom of $2.04 has been solid as well. The transaction bottom was at 4708, right now the weekly average is around 5800 transactions with the lows staying above 5k.

I'm not especially bullish right now but this indicator is looking great, it hasn't been this strong since the peak. If I could get some good news regarding the bank issues exchanges have been experiencing and something promising related to Bitcoin adoption, I just might revert to super bull again.

i think you're right.  i am investing in anticipation of the turn upwards.  the global economy is debatably turning back up (if the stock mkt is any indication) and consumer confidence this AM was decidedly positive.  many economic indicators are actually turning up as well which makes overall asset investment appetite much greater.
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
November 11, 2011, 09:59:46 PM

i think you're right.  i am investing in anticipation of the turn upwards.  the global economy is debatably turning back up (if the stock mkt is any indication) and consumer confidence this AM was decidedly positive.  many economic indicators are actually turning up as well which makes overall asset investment appetite much greater.

If I'm feeling up to it I might go back through your posts, but it seems to me you've said bitcoin will go up if the rest of the market goes down.  Like, you've got it going both ways here.  In reality, it seems, bitcoin, lately, goes down no matter which way the market goes.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
zby
Legendary

Activity: 1592
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 12, 2011, 06:36:52 AM

I guess what you meant is the exactly opposite what you wrote -  that we have now 10% of the price that was back then.  But actually I know that without looking at the transactions count - maybe what you meant about transactions count is also opposite of what you wrote?  And if not - if you really think that using transactions count you can predict the prices - then you'd need to post a more detailed graph showing what is really the lead time between the transactions count and the price - because from that graph you posted it does not look likely.
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764

View Profile
November 12, 2011, 08:23:01 AM

If I'm feeling up to it I might go back through your posts, but it seems to me you've said bitcoin will go up if the rest of the market goes down.  Like, you've got it going both ways here.  In reality, it seems, bitcoin, lately, goes down no matter which way the market goes.

yeah, i think you'd better go back thru my posts to prove that.  btw, why has the price gone back up?
zby
Legendary

View Profile
November 12, 2011, 08:56:02 AM

What do you mean by back up?  How the retracement is different from all the other partial retracements after big drops this autumn?  This is a sincere question - from a casual look it might be a bit bigger - but for a lay person as myself that does not look significant.
Technomage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2011, 10:45:56 AM

I guess what you meant is the exactly opposite what you wrote -  that we have now 10% of the price that was back then.  But actually I know that without looking at the transactions count - maybe what you meant about transactions count is also opposite of what you wrote?  And if not - if you really think that using transactions count you can predict the prices - then you'd need to post a more detailed graph showing what is really the lead time between the transactions count and the price - because from that graph you posted it does not look likely.
I meant exactly what I wrote. We've had both a 1000% increase in the amount of transactions and a 1000% increase in price from early 2011 to this date. Which translates to them being 10% then compared to what they are now.

But to say price movements follow changes in transaction counts, I have never claimed that. There is a very strong correlation with the two and I think that it might be possible to use similar analysing methods that traders use to analyse price technicals. I'm not an expert on this but it would be interesting if someone tried to analyse the graph and see if the projections are similar to BTC price projections. And how big the correlation is in short term, mid term, long term etc.

zby
Legendary

View Profile
November 12, 2011, 11:12:58 AM

Ah - yeah - I've read it as 6 months (because the peak seems to be the most referred to point) - my fault.
jojkaart

Activity: 97
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 12, 2011, 12:21:08 PM

I've made this small graph that illustrates the ratio of the exchange rate to the number of transactions happening in bitcoin network. I think it illustrates very clearly when the exchange rate is higher than could be expected.

http://jkaartinen.iki.fi/~jojkaart/ntxbymarket.html
deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1025

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2011, 12:52:50 PM

These transaction numbers may be misleading. I think a lot more bitcoins are staying on exchanges and trading hands without going out on the public Bitcoin network for all to see.

A strong indicator is media hype, the pump that came before the dump:

One thing we can't see is how much money is being invested into Bitcoins. If all the bitcoins were worth $102M and now they are worth $21M, that didn't happen without profit taking, which one could see in currency balances getting bigger and money flowing out of exchanges.
jojkaart

Activity: 97
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 12, 2011, 01:13:13 PM

These transaction numbers may be misleading. I think a lot more bitcoins are staying on exchanges and trading hands without going out on the public Bitcoin network for all to see.

A strong indicator is media hype, the pump that came before the dump:

One thing we can't see is how much money is being invested into Bitcoins. If all the bitcoins were worth $102M and now they are worth $21M, that didn't happen without profit taking, which one could see in currency balances getting bigger and money flowing out of exchanges.

It's very difficult to come up with an indicator that really does accurately measure things. However, if you actually more than glance at this graph I just showed, there is a lot of correlation with the price movement. Mostly when the exchange rate is going up much faster than the number of transactions.

Also, I see the number of transactions happening in the bitcoin network as more important than people who trade strictly through exchanges. It's indicative of the amount of trust people have for bitcoin whether or not they stick to the exchange or not. Those who trust bitcoin, won't leave their coins mainly on the exchanges. So, you could say that this graph gives an idea of how much of the exchange rate is based on the base of support and how much is from curious onlookers who haven't committed.
Vandroiy
Legendary

Activity: 1036

View Profile
November 12, 2011, 02:08:06 PM

The number of transactions is trivial to manipulate. That is why the measure of Bitcoindays Destroyed was introduced; at least that one can't be manipulated by an order of magnitude easily.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: