Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 09:04:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Satoshi actually Richard Stallman?  (Read 10032 times)
tjohej

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

Magic Staff

View Profile
February 06, 2013, 03:34:53 PM

Couldn't be. He's not Japanese.  Cheesy
Seriously, this should not be limited to any one in particular. I would use the pseudonym Cheese Salad, would that necessarily mean that I am a salad?

There may still be hope for the 1st decentralized cryptocurrency which is Bitcoin. How to approach different subjects is key to progress.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
wtfvanity

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

WTF???

View Profile
February 06, 2013, 03:37:37 PM

Seriously, this should not be limited to any one in particular. I would use the pseudonym Cheese Salad, would that necessarily mean that I am a salad?

Congratulations. You just resurrected an 18 month old thread.

WTF!     Don't Click Here              
          .      .            .            .        .            .            .          .        .     .               .            .             .            .            .           .            .     .               .         .              .           .            .            .            .     .      .     .    .     .          .            .          .            .            .           .              .     .            .            .           .            .               .         .            .     .            .            .             .            .              .            .            .      .            .            .            .            .            .            .             .          .
muyuu
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 06, 2013, 03:40:11 PM

I met Stallman in the London conference and he was quite clueless about bitcoin as a whole.

I doubt he's such a good actor.

GPG ID: 7294199D - OTC ID: muyuu (470F97EB7294199D)
forum tea fund BTC 1Epv7KHbNjYzqYVhTCgXWYhGSkv7BuKGEU DOGE DF1eTJ2vsxjHpmmbKu9jpqsrg5uyQLWksM CAP F1MzvmmHwP2UhFq82NQT7qDU9NQ8oQbtkQ
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
February 06, 2013, 03:42:39 PM

Remember, when you point your finger at someone, three fingers point back at you. Besides, his exposure may lead to danger and he may have a family to consider. Think of the children! And in the final analysis, isn't there a little Satoshi in all of us?  Grin

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Deafboy

Activity: 482
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
February 06, 2013, 04:00:53 PM

I met Stallman in the London conference and he was quite clueless about bitcoin as a whole.

This is my conclusion too after I heard him talking about BTC.
BlackLilac Jordan

Activity: 163
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 06, 2013, 04:22:38 PM

...by misunderstanding a sarcastic post, none the less.
misterbigg
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 06, 2013, 04:46:55 PM

Hell no, Stallman is quite misguided when it comes to economics. He actually proposed that businesses should be taxed ever increasing amounts as they grow in size, to disincentivize "too big to fail." While I think he has a lot of useful things to say about copyright and patents, it is clear that he's a Statist and at odds with the Bitcoin philosophy.
jjiimm_64
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 06, 2013, 06:27:59 PM

Win/win!  Grin

Smiley

1jimbitm6hAKTjKX4qurCNQubbnk2YsFw
wtfvanity

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

WTF???

View Profile
February 06, 2013, 06:37:17 PM

Win/win!  Grin

Smiley

lol

WTF!     Don't Click Here              
          .      .            .            .        .            .            .          .        .     .               .            .             .            .            .           .            .     .               .         .              .           .            .            .            .     .      .     .    .     .          .            .          .            .            .           .              .     .            .            .           .            .               .         .            .     .            .            .             .            .              .            .            .      .            .            .            .            .            .            .             .          .
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
February 07, 2013, 04:31:44 AM

I thought Bruce Schneier more than Richard...he does have a section on sending money using cryptography in Applied Cryptography.

I actually emailed both Eric Raymond and Bruce Schneider about bitcoin.  IIRC, Eric Raymond denied being Satoshi, yet thought the concept of bitcoin was interesting.  Bruce Schneider merely responded to note that he was aware of bitcoin, but offered no opinion on the system.  This was about two years ago.

BTW, Bruce Schneier did not deny being Satoshi in his response; and as far as I know, has not really commented publicly on Bitcoin except for a couple of minor posts last year to imply that he didn't understand it, which I don't believe.

If Satoshi is any one person, and is already even moderately famous for his existing skillset (and a man, which is also quite an assumption) then Bruce Schneier is still high on my list.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
auzaar

Activity: 151

View Profile
February 07, 2013, 07:37:13 AM

Stallman is the last person who'd hide behind a pseudonym.  If he believed in it, he'd gladly put his name on it, and deal with the courts if necessary.

This.
Vince Torres

Activity: 337

View Profile
February 07, 2013, 07:38:35 AM

Jesus Christ, how have you guys not realized that Satoshi is Gavin Andresen. And Satoshi Nakamoto is just his edgy sounding nickname.

Namecoin.com .bit domain registrar. Register a new .bit domain for just $1!
BTC: 1LpKzg24NHmrxLZbnVphcstV3s7uA8cSnT
LTC: LWHswCFRPouCXTNiT8B9HUVnGrae9eojVg
BlackLilac Jordan

Activity: 163

View Profile
February 07, 2013, 07:57:26 AM

Stallman is the last person who'd hide behind a pseudonym.  If he believed in it, he'd gladly put his name on it, and deal with the courts if necessary.

What if he didn't act anonymously to protect himself, but because he came to the conclusion that Bitcoin could not succeed any other way?

ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
February 07, 2013, 07:58:58 AM

Satoshi Nakamoto is not Richard Stallman and this is why:

Bitcoin v0.1 released

Satoshi Nakamoto Fri, 09 Jan 2009 17:05:49 -0800

Announcing the first release of Bitcoin, a new electronic cash
system that uses a peer-to-peer network to prevent double-spending.
It's completely decentralized with no server or central authority.

See bitcoin.org for screenshots.

Download link:
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/bitcoin/bitcoin-0.1.0.rar

Windows only for now.  Open source C++ code is included.

- Unpack the files into a directory
- Run BITCOIN.EXE
- It automatically connects to other nodes ...
Bold my emphasis.  from http://www.mail-archive.com/cryptography@metzdowd.com/msg10142.html

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
February 07, 2013, 09:09:55 AM

Satoshi develop on window?  Shocked

MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
February 07, 2013, 03:17:25 PM

Jesus Christ, how have you guys not realized that Satoshi is Gavin Andresen. And Satoshi Nakamoto is just his edgy sounding nickname.

Gavin is not Satoshi.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
moni3z

Activity: 899
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 07, 2013, 06:16:34 PM

Japanese Stallman still would've called it "GnuCoin"
tjohej

Magic Staff

View Profile
February 10, 2013, 02:54:02 PM

SNIP
Just look up Bitcoin 2012 London: Richard Stallman. Maybe it was just I who resurrected you.

If you cared on the subject you would already had watched Stallman here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FN6Q--zqroM
I guessed you just wanted to tell somebody 'hey resurrection' without actually doing any research beforehand.

There may still be hope for the 1st decentralized cryptocurrency which is Bitcoin. How to approach different subjects is key to progress.
tjohej

Magic Staff

View Profile
February 10, 2013, 03:00:07 PM

Yeah, he must be pretty damn clueless. Watching that Bitcoin 2012 London: Richard Stallman, he only made a few comments about Bitcoin on a 43 minute speech:
0:10 Bitcoin mentioned 13:00 Wikileaks btc donation. 33:50 Bitcoin licensing copyleft non-copyleft 42:35 Bitcoin mentioned. The talk had little or nothing to do with Bitcoin.
He talked about how Bitcoin is licensed, and said that some projects he doesn't have a problem if they aren't copyleft. Did we learn anything new now?

Kettenmonster

Activity: 420

bool eval(bool b){return b ? b==true : b==false;}

View Profile
February 10, 2013, 03:22:28 PM

Could be you look at it from the wrong perspective.
Maybe you should better ask: Is Richard Stallman actually Satoshi?  Tongue

The paining (sic!) is done with the QPainter class inside the paintEvent() method.
(source: my internet)
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: