Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 03:35:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Statistical distribution of mining bitcoins?  (Read 1617 times)
kseistrup (OP)

Activity: 566
Merit: 500

Unselfish actions pay back better

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2011, 05:32:56 PM

Hi there,

Does anyone know which statistical distribution bitcoin mining is following?  I've been looking at the output from jgarzik's cpuminer, and I expected the “PROOF OF WORK RESULT: true (yay!!!)” lines to approximate a Poisson distribution (completely random, rare event).  Possion distributed data has same mean and variance, but the data I'm looking at has a variance of appr. mean².

Anyone?

Cheers,

Klaus Alexander Seistrup
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Cryptoman

Activity: 726

View Profile
March 06, 2011, 05:55:26 PM

Yes, it's Poisson.

"A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history." --Gandhi
kseistrup (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2011, 06:27:43 PM

Yes, it's Poisson.

I beg to differ.  When I analyze the logfile from the cpuminer I get a mean (i.e., average time between delivering PoW) of appr. 1725 seconds with a variance of appr. 600E6 s².  The landmark of the poisson distribution is that its mean equals its variance.

Cheers,

Klaus Alexander Seistrup
ArtForz

Activity: 406
Merit: 257

View Profile
March 06, 2011, 06:56:32 PM

It's poisson.
Remember, if events in a fixed timespan is poisson, time between events is a exponential distribution.

bitcoin: 1Fb77Xq5ePFER8GtKRn2KDbDTVpJKfKmpz
i0coin: jNdvyvd6v6gV3kVJLD7HsB5ZwHyHwAkfdw
kseistrup (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2011, 07:22:39 PM

It's poisson.
Remember, if events in a fixed timespan is poisson, time between events is a exponential distribution.

Yes, you're right.  Except:  Even when I feed events/timeunit into the calculator, the variance is much higher than expected.  But perhaps I don't have enough data points…

Thanks for your input.

Cheers,

Klaus Alexander Seistrup
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: