Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 11:14:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for sound advice on 2TH/s machines - Black Arrow vs CoinTerra  (Read 1241 times)
DBG (OP)

Activity: 119
Merit: 100

Digital Illustrator + Software/Hardware Developer

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 04:52:20 AM

Hi guys, first, I'm sure you have your own opinions about companies outside of the two mentioned in the topic, but I would like to focus on those two specifically in this post (dealing with house money here, so I'd like to at least see a ROI before the year is out).  The price for both units specified is ~$6,100 w/ shipping and handling.  Both expected to arrive in May if ordered today (so maybe I will be lucky to make 1 BTC a week by then; hopefully 10 days at most).

Quote from: Prospero X-3
First up is Black Arrow (Software)'s "Prospero X-3".  Personally, I love these guys.  I remember spending something like 3.6BTC on a Lancelot + programmer (I did this more recently than I like to think about, but lets just say FPGAs actually had died out for the most part by then) and I got to know the crew at BAS very well (I still use the Lancelot board for other projects and the programmer comes in handy, most recently when dealing with BFL products =p).

Pros: Have shipped products before (though not ASICs). Seem to have only slipped roughly a month behind schedule and have been very upfront about it.  I know the team and their support is amazing.

Cons: Unknown internal hardware running the control/mining software (not really a huge concern I just had to think of something to counter what I know about the device coming up).  Chinese-based - everything is made in China, esp. chips and sometimes assembled locally, however this would involve dealing with China + DHL + a heavy box (I have had a very bad experience with this type of scenario and no one admitted fault; I considered going to small claims court for the missing $700 in hardware but instead took it as a lesson).  Fits into a 2U rackmount space; slightly moot for me as I do not plan on hosting at a datacenter.

Quote from: TerraMiner IV
Next we have CoinTerra and their TerraMiner IV.  I have heard the name TerraMiner get tossed around a lot but I know very little about them.  Based on my limited research, they seem like a bunch that knows what they are doing and a final product seems within reach.

Pros: US-based!  Of course this is what lead me to BFL in the first place and while I did receive a ROI many times over (only thanks to the fact that they were still accepting credit cards at the time I ordered), I know location is not everything (however the fact that I can use UPS Ground for my shipping needs lets me breath easier).  I know that the Begalbone Black is up to the task of being used as a control unit (for those of you unfamiliar with this board, it is like a Raspberry Pi except more powerful) and frankly I really like the design and features (BAS is a bit vague when it comes to the internals of its box).  I *love* how the design is basically split into two separate compartments.

Cons: Here is the big one... will they ship?  Rather, will they hit a large snag before fulfillment commences?  There are some great minds behind this but if I the hardware I order doesn't arrive until November, that will hurt my pocket (as well as my inner-geek).  Also, it's a damnable beast!  Yes the compartmentalizing and water-cooling features are neat, but besides being twice as tall as BAS's offering, the "nominal" power consumption is 1650 watts compared to Black Arrow's product (which when running stock, is estimated to come in at slightly over 1kW with a best guess of 1050 watts).  Where I live, the power is slightly lower than the national average ($0.0911 per kWh) but that still adds up over time.  I'm also worried about the possibility of it flipping a breaker, but thankfully I have a friend who is a licensed electrician who could move the circuit to a 2nd box I'm starting to populate if need be.

Thanks so much guys, I only have a few days to decide who I'm sending the wire transfer out to so if you have anything useful that you think I should know, please let me have it!  Assuming this all works out, I might take a small percent (5% - 10%) and try and play the exchange market, but you better believe I'm sitting on any coins I make until they are worth 5 digits or dust =p.

Bitcoin - 3DTcMYT8SmRw4o4Lbq9cvm71YaUtVuNn29
Litecoin - MAoFYsBf7BzeK86gg6WRqzFncfwWnoYZet
/* Coins are never required but always appreciated if feeling generous! */

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
GenTarkin
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 04:58:31 AM

just remember this, they are all scams till proof of working hardware...

GenTarkin's MOD Kncminer Titan custom firmware! v1.0.4! -- !!NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!
Donations: bitcoin- 1Px71mWNQNKW19xuARqrmnbcem1dXqJ3At || litecoin- LYXrLis3ik6TRn8tdvzAyJ264DRvwYVeEw
Bicknellski

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 05:12:59 AM

just remember this, they are all scams till proof of working hardware...

Sad but true.

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
el_rlee
Legendary

Activity: 1600
Merit: 1014

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 05:20:06 AM

Cointerra should ship soon, so if you can wait a few days you might have proof of an existing, actually working device.
TinkerTom

Activity: 54
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 06:18:06 AM

I think those are two of the best bets. I seriously doubt either is a scam with considerable engineering info and photos coming out of both companies. Each seems to have personnel that know the industry and have the necessary backgrounds.

I came down to those two also, but back in December and for me it was down to which one I thought I'd get ahold of first. Cointerra was selling April batches at the time, with BA still at late Feb (which I took). If there is a difference in when you'd receive it, I'd go by that. If not... hard to say. We know that Cointerra is running a little behind, but they also seem to be making good (though that's going to put more machines in line in front of you).

It may be wishful thinking, but I'm hoping that BA being based in China has the local facilities and talent to produce machines at a good clip once they have things ready.

If you do go the BA route, I'd recommend using https://minersource.net/. I think machines will likely arrive quicker as they will all clear customs together.

Good luck!
Bicknellski

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 06:21:05 AM

Late February or Early March for BA for those who have already ordered probably March or later if you order today?

Cointerra is late so not sure when if it all you would get a rig if you ordered today?

---

That is the kicker you are ordering today or in the next week or so. So given that you need to check on when delivery for a new order would be and then check whether you think it is worth it to receive the product then as opposed to now. Neither are shipping this month if you order today if I am not mistaken.

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
xstr8guy

Activity: 784
Merit: 1004

Glow Stick Dance!

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 06:36:54 AM

Honestly... and this has nothing to do with my sig, lol... I'd spend a bit more money and get a KNC Neptune.  Even better, I'd spend my money on hashing power that I can get immediately like Bitfury/MBP or AntMiner.  In fact, I have done all of the above.
DBG (OP)

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 06:16:31 PM

Honestly... and this has nothing to do with my sig, lol... I'd spend a bit more money and get a KNC Neptune.  Even better, I'd spend my money on hashing power that I can get immediately like Bitfury/MBP or AntMiner.  In fact, I have done all of the above.
I have to respect KNC for their work, but I think I'd actually buy 1 of each of the 2TH machines mentioned before that.  That sounds harsh but it has to do with the fact that no matter who I go with, I will be pushed into Q2 (I don't want to think about mining in the summer x.x) and while I'm incredibly impressed regarding their ability to get down to 20nm already, there isn't as much data to go on.  Others could be deciding to post their best guesses and KnC doesn't want to post more information until they feel ready, but it's all about what I have to work with now.  Also since you are actively mining, no matter what I buy, I'm sure you will end up with more coins than me if we did a reset from now until the end of the year =p.

If you do go the BA route, I'd recommend using https://minersource.net/. I think machines will likely arrive quicker as they will all clear customs together.

Good luck!
Good luck to you as well and thank you for a US reseller link.  Heh my freelance projects don't give me the bankroll to invest in becoming a reseller, however it would solve my problem (sell 10 units and the reseller gets 1 for free =p).

I just crunched the numbers and assuming a linear increase in the difficulty rate of 30% and with the assumed start date of May 15th (both of which I hope don't occur but are very possible) with a block being solved every 10mins + subtracting a 2% mining pool fee and it doesn't look good.  With these numbers my first week of mining (which would be the most profitable) would only make me BTC0.2699 and of course it goes down from there.  Of course this is slightly moot because like everyone else, I'm betting on Bitcoin going through the roof (which I really do believe will happen).  I also subtracted the power bill using the weightier of the two options, so 1650watts @ $0.0911 per kWh.  I will take a look around and see if there are any existing options that could return a ROI in time (I was hoping before the end of the year for a 2TH machine, but that would be in the hands of the market; of course if Bitcoin stayed at, lets say $1,000, I would maybe make ~$1,500 around by year's end).  *fingers crossed*

DBG (OP)

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 06:52:03 PM

lol after all of that and I think I might be going with the 400GH/s mining kit from MegaBigPower since I could be hashing by the weekend, oh well, if it was easy to win in the Bitcoin game everyone would be doing it!

g3raint

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 07:59:36 PM

One thing to consider with comparing Cointerra and Black arrow with their 2Th mining rigs,  The Prospero-X3 (Black Arrows Offering) is 2 x 4u shells  1Th in each. a consideration for data centres and people mining from home alike.

G

------------------------------------------------------
BTC: 1NTs92VRppSsSeYLAXJtP1SxAzBwYk8JeH
------------------------------------------------------
Ytterbium

Activity: 238

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2014, 08:30:56 PM

Better to buy something off the shelf today then wait months.  If the hashrate keeps doubling every month then a 1TH/s miner in 4 months is equivalent to 1/(24) = 62Gh/s today, in terms of profitability. I have no idea why people would want to throw money away on pre-orders when so many people have gotten ripped off when you can buy hardware off the shelf today.  I'm selling some, buy you can also get bitfury based systems from megabigpower or an antminer from bitmain

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: