Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 09:11:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: How do I add public notes to my transactions in Electrum?  (Read 2999 times)
CanadianGuy (OP)

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 09:34:56 PM

Is this even possible?
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4653

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 10:20:39 PM

Is this even possible?

No.
byt411

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 10:22:18 PM

No. It Isn't. Use multibit or armory or something else...
prof7bit

Activity: 938
Merit: 500

https://youengine.io/

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2014, 10:28:48 PM

No. It Isn't. Use multibit or armory or something else...

The bitcoin protocol does not support "public notes", such a thing simply does not exist. Neither MultiBit nor Armory will help you here. What you are seeing on webservices such as blockchain.info is internal to their own system, its not part of the Bitcoin protocol.

empoweoqwj

Activity: 518

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 03:31:34 AM

Is this even possible?

No, sorry. Just curious, what gave you the idea you could add "public notes" to Electrum transactions? Smiley
CanadianGuy (OP)

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 04:02:27 AM

Is this even possible?

No, sorry. Just curious, what gave you the idea you could add "public notes" to Electrum transactions? Smiley

Because if I was the creator/founder of Electrum, I would at least offer all of the services my competitors have.  But that's just me..
empoweoqwj

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 04:42:27 AM

Is this even possible?

Because if I was the creator/founder of Electrum, I would at least offer all of the services my competitors have.  But that's just me..

I'm sorry to have offended you with the question. Which competitors are you referring to?
CanadianGuy (OP)

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 05:46:07 AM

Is this even possible?

I'm sorry to have offended you with the question. Which competitors are you referring to?

I'm not sure why you think I was offended.  I never meant to give that impression...
empoweoqwj

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 08:17:35 AM

Is this even possible?

I'm not sure why you think I was offended.  I never meant to give that impression...

OK, you're not offended, which is good Smiley Just wondering what competition offers "public notes"?
BitThink
Legendary

Activity: 882

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 08:21:44 AM

Is this even possible?
Public notes are provided and stored by blockchain.info DB and is not in in blockchain itself. Use blockchain wallet if you want to add a public notes.

FYI, the oncoming bitcoind 0.9 may support OP_RETURN, which enable a short text (80 bytes) to be added in your transaction.
empoweoqwj

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 08:36:05 AM

Is this even possible?
Public notes are provided and stored by blockchain.info DB and is not in in blockchain itself. Use blockchain wallet if you want to add a public notes.

FYI, the oncoming bitcoind 0.9 may support OP_RETURN, which enable a short text (80 bytes) to be added in your transaction.

Ah ok, so its blockchain.info ... thanks for the info.

I don't really see that as direct competition to electrum though. Web-based wallets are very different beasts to standalone wallets.
CanadianGuy (OP)

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 02:02:17 PM

Some people must have told Steve Jobs and Bill Gates that their ideas were impossible..
think outside the box  Grin
ThomasV
Legendary

Activity: 1896
Merit: 1353

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2014, 04:18:31 PM

It would be perfectly possible to create a centralized service that stores annotations, and to use it in Electrum through a plugin.
This would be a public version of the existing "labelectrum" plugin, and could be used by other wallets.

Another option is to see if blockchain.info allows the addition of public notes from users who are not registered with them.

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks
empoweoqwj

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 04:19:43 AM

It would be perfectly possible to create a centralized service that stores annotations, and to use it in Electrum through a plugin.
This would be a public version of the existing "labelectrum" plugin, and could be used by other wallets.

Another option is to see if blockchain.info allows the addition of public notes from users who are not registered with them.

There you go, CanadianGuy, straight from the horses mouth, no offence intended Wink

My issue was just with the statement "Because if I was the creator/founder of Electrum, I would at least offer all of the services my competitors have."

And it turns out you are comparing it with blockchain.info, a web-based wallet.

Just pointing out that Electrum already offers huge benefits compared with web-based wallets. I don't see them as direct competition. Electrum competes directly with Armory and Multibit IMHO
CanadianGuy (OP)

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 05:03:42 AM

Did steve jobs only compete with microsoft?

No, he competed with everything, and had no limit to where he went.

Be creative, Electrum, and you will be something really special!
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4653

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 02:02:38 PM

Some people must have told Steve Jobs and Bill Gates that their ideas were impossible..

This is just silly.

Apple didn't make refridgerators, so clearly they didn't compete with "everybody".

Furthermore, Apple doesn't support blu-ray in any of their computers and doesn't support Adobe Flash on any of their iOS devices, so they don't "at least offer all of the services their competitors have".

Stop trying to back up your arguments with silly platitudes and people might start to take you seriously.
byt411

Activity: 798

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 05:37:07 PM

This is just silly.

Apple didn't make refridgerators, so clearly they didn't compete with "everybody".

Furthermore, Apple doesn't support blu-ray in any of their computers and doesn't support Adobe Flash on any of their iOS devices, so they don't "at least offer all of the services their competitors have".

Stop trying to back up your arguments with silly platitudes and people might start to take you seriously.

Also, this has nothing to do with your original question. Either suggest it to the creator(s) of Electrum, or close this thread.
btcven

Activity: 715

Bitcoin Venezuela

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2014, 10:12:59 PM

Apple doesn't support ... Adobe Flash on any of their iOS devices, so they don't "at least offer all of the services their competitors have".

Thankfully they don't Cheesy

Admin: rdymac (PGP) | contacto@bitcoinvenezuela.com | @cafebitcoin | Electrum, lightweight bitcoin client
If I've been helpful tip me a coffee! Cheesy1rdymachKZpA9pTYHYHMYZjfjnoBW6B3k Bitrated user: rdymac.
CanadianGuy (OP)

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 02:42:25 PM

you guys are such debbie downers!  Think BIG!  Think... Electrum!
prof7bit

Activity: 938

https://youengine.io/

View Profile WWW
January 22, 2014, 03:21:12 PM

you guys are such debbie downers!  Think BIG!  Think... Electrum!
What has Electrum to do with it? Notes are not part of the bitcoin protocol.

btcven

Activity: 715

Bitcoin Venezuela

View Profile WWW
January 22, 2014, 08:15:20 PM

Public notes have already being discussed by Electrum devs, but it has to be added in a secure, anonymous way, so it needs to be thought a bit more.

Admin: rdymac (PGP) | contacto@bitcoinvenezuela.com | @cafebitcoin | Electrum, lightweight bitcoin client
If I've been helpful tip me a coffee! Cheesy1rdymachKZpA9pTYHYHMYZjfjnoBW6B3k Bitrated user: rdymac.
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: